Terragen for landscapes?

Started by
4 comments, last by OldRod 22 years, 6 months ago
Is it possible to use Terragen to generate a heightfield or texture image to use with PR? If so, could someone let me know how? I played with Terragen for a bit last night and couldn''t see an option to export either the heightfield or the terrain texture, which is what PR would need right?
Advertisement
I used Leveller to create the heightfield, then imported it into Terragen to create the texture. I''m not sure if Terragen can export the heightfield in a bitmap. Is it the heightfield or the texture you''re interested in?

To export the texture, just do a render, and when finished, there''s a button to save the texture to a bitmap. It''ll save to a BMP file, so use PSP or something similiar to convert to a TGA and you''re good to go.

Also, upon thinking of it further, Terragen always produced a thin black cross through the middle of the texture, like it was looking through a window pane or something. Never did figure out how to get rid of that. I guessed it was because I had the camera so high to produce a flat texture. Sound familiar to anyone?
Well, what I was hoping to find was a program that would make a terrain that''s usable by PR that would end up being bigger than the one made by Landscape Studio, but I have a feeling that this limit is in the engine itself, and not necessarily in LS.

yoiu can make larger terrains with LS, but as the landscapes get larger, the texture detail is decreased.

I made a 2048x2048 map once that I managed to get presentable by using a detail map. but it still wasnt that great.

I think the best bet would be to figure out a way to dynamicly swap out 128x128 landscape "tiles" on the fly.

MF
I and others have begged Chris to do this, but he has so far refused.

Mainly because the engine has shadows, dynamic heightfield and texture capability and you''ll need to save those to disk.

If you draw directly on the terrain texture, you''ll have to save those changes to disk as you swap in new terrain. JPG encoding is out of the question so you''ll have a very big temporary terrain image on disk. It''s a very big feature to change when you have so many things that are affected (shadows, texture, object coordinates, texture generator, wrapping, editor, temp paging file, etc).

You could take the source and strip out some of the shadows and deform capabilities, maybe use compressed DDS textures and have a really huge compressed terrain that you cannot change. But this will depend on the application and it''s not something the SDK forcing on everyone.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement