• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Plerion

Running application with PIX -> shutdown

This topic is 2176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone

Im currently encountering some issues with PIX. If i run my application without PIX it starts without any problems but if i run it with PIX it runs a little while und before the window shows the process already exits. If i use a replayable thats what i get:
50e41556959758_PIX.jpg

So i can see that the last call was IDXGISwapChain::GetBuffer after that theres an error. So i went to my code which looks like that:

void GxDevice::initBuffers()
{
	ID3D11Texture2D* targetBuffer = nullptr;
	mSwapChain->GetBuffer(0, __uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D), (LPVOID*)&targetBuffer);

D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC rtvDesc;	memset(&rtvDesc, 0, sizeof(rtvDesc));
	rtvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
	rtvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_RTV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;
	rtvDesc.Texture2D.MipSlice = 0;

res = mDevice->CreateRenderTargetView(targetBuffer, &rtvDesc, &mRenderView);

targetBuffer->Release();
}

So first i added a messagebox before CreateRenderTargetView and it gets hit by PIX. If i move it after CreateRenderTargetView it doesnt get hit.

Then i remembered that i have a little feature in my application that if the binary is built in debug mode and no debugger is attached it attaches a fork of itself to the process as debugger and prints all important debug events to a file. So i turned on that feature and started it again with PIX. What i get now is the following output:
http://pastebin.com/Ahgz5Ydb

With the obviously interesting line:
D3D11 CORRUPTION: ID3D11Device::CreateRenderTargetView: First parameter is corrupt! [ MISCELLANEOUS CORRUPTION #13: CORRUPTED_PARAMETER1]

So that means targetBuffer seems to be corrupt when using PIX (i dont get that message in the output if i run the application without PIX).

Anyone got an idea why this could happen?

Any help is appreciated,
Plerion

/EDIT:
Ive just seen that this is a known issue with PIX on windows 8... darn it, thats annoying, windows 8 is in such an unfinished state....

Advertisement

Yea, thanks, ive just seen it. Slowly windows 8 starts to annoy me. A lot of kernel functions are not yet implemented (im not sure how it is now but for example a few weeks ago NtFlushInstructionCache in kernel mode did nothing more but return STATUS_SUCCESS), essential features are missing and so on... Seems like i have to work on my laptop then...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!