Not sure where to start

Started by
6 comments, last by YucelKaramanli 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello there.

I'm a beginner when it comes to game programming. I'm not new to programming, I've studied a lot of languages, from C to Haskell, but my attempts on game programming weren't exactly successful. I just get a library, study it, and then.. I'm not sure what to do with it. I mean, I could start some random projects, try remaking some of the existing famous games, like Tetris or Pong, but it sounds kinda boring to me, and I haven't thought of anything new that's interesting enough to start working on. Maybe I should join an existing project? I'd get some guidance and practice the game aspect of programming.

Anyway, I just thought someone more experienced could help me out. I'm just tired of waking up wanting to start something cool, but not really knowing how to.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Go to this website --> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Download their latest distribution and check out the examples that they have.

Create your own demos using irrlicht, after taking hints from existing examples.

That should help you initiate into game development.

Go to this website --> http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Download their latest distribution and check out the examples that they have.

Create your own demos using irrlicht, after taking hints from existing examples.

That should help you initiate into game development.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I appreciate your suggestion, but I think that's a bit too specific. That's one engine for one language in particular, which is pretty much what I've been doing so far. I need a different point of view, a new way of approaching things..

All the languages in the world wont help you make a game, it you dont know how to use them correctly. Study up on the fundamentals of game developing. Its basically a load of different methods of doing certain things which are required in games: movement, collision, physics, database, ext... Very usefull stuff. I must admitt its tempting to skip over this stuff but it is extremely useful.

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

Really start with pong or snake.

THey might sound boring, but you'll learn a lot and feel proud when you are finished

An invisible text.

What I did when I first started out was to think of a few simple games I like (like pong or snake) and then write down the elements I like most.

For example instead of making a direct copy of snake or tetris you could have a snake which you can use to form shapes then when pressing a button have the snake drop down like a tetris block. Its not really about the complexity of games but more about having fun and creating unique gameplay. Which I personally think is most important.

With kind regards,

StaticCube

Thanks for the replies, guys!

All the languages in the world wont help you make a game, it you dont know how to use them correctly. Study up on the fundamentals of game developing. Its basically a load of different methods of doing certain things which are required in games: movement, collision, physics, database, ext... Very usefull stuff. I must admitt its tempting to skip over this stuff but it is extremely useful.

I've already studied the theoretical part of games, but I agree with you, it's very useful!

What I did when I first started out was to think of a few simple games I like (like pong or snake) and then write down the elements I like most.

For example instead of making a direct copy of snake or tetris you could have a snake which you can use to form shapes then when pressing a button have the snake drop down like a tetris block. Its not really about the complexity of games but more about having fun and creating unique gameplay. Which I personally think is most important.

With kind regards,

StaticCube

Sounds like fun, I think I'll give it a try smile.png

I would also suggest what others suggested. Go for something simple to begin with. I think pretty much everyone starts from a clone of a simple game and moves on from there onwards slowly. None surprisingly I was also cloner ^^. I would recommend you to have a go with the following site, ----> http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/

if you follow the tutorials you will be done with your clone in no time and understand some of the basic concepts of making games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement