• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Calculating the required rotation.

This topic is 1845 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.

Given

(A) a constant 3D vector of (0,1, 0)

(B) any normalized 3D vector

How would I calculate the 3x3 rotation matrix that when used to transform (A) will result in (B).

Thanks in Advance!

Advertisement

Just a thought: Transform A and B into spherical coordinates, find their difference, and now you know the theta and phi rotations that must be applied to A to get B. Use theta and phi to create a 3x3 rotation matrix. There might be a better way, but that's what I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

Since A is fixed and known, you should be able to simplify it further.

Edited by Cornstalks

This problem is ill-posed. The solution is not unique.

In case of (0,1,0) you can construct a special solution:
1. Choose two orthogonal vectors to B and to each other, call them B1 and B2.
2. Arrange these vectors into the columns of a matrix like this: R=[B2, B, B1], with B=B1 x B2.

The more general problem (any vector A) is easy as well, but still ill-posed. Edited by max343

There's indeed a most natural rotation. It's the one that leaves vectors perpendicular to the plane of A and B invariant.

To derive such a matrix, note that any composition of 2 (or any even number of) reflections is a rotation. With this, you can easily construct a matrix that satisfies your requirements.

Let S_1 be the matrix that reflects A to -A, and let S_2 be the matrix that reflects A + B to -(A + B). The composition S_2 S_1 is then your rotation matrix.

In vectors, reflecting a vector x in a normal vector n is

{eqn} x' = x - 2 n (n \cdot x) {/eqn}

or in matrix notation, where vectors are column vectors

{eqn}
x' = x - n (n^T x)
= (I - n n^T) x
{/eqn}

so your reflection matrix is then {eqn} I - n n^T {/eqn} so your rotation matrix, which rotates a to b

{eqn} R = (I - \frac{(a + b) (a + b)^T}{|a + b|^2)(I + \frac{a a^T}{|a|^2}) {/eqn}

EDIT: Can't get latex to work Edited by quasar3d

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement