Feedback in Plot for our game

Started by
2 comments, last by Deallo 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello, this is our game (name is work in progress) we decided to do a surreal world, a twisted version of our modern one.

We wanted to concentrated our efforts mainly on gameplay mechanics and art assets, now we need an orientation about the game story so we are considering this three options.

We would like to know which synopsis plot do you think would fits better by looking at the images below:

1.- A bored office guy with a really nasty and tedious job who finds an escape from his routine in a twisted world.

2.- An elite soldier who tries to go out from a plague in an infected city due a failed experiment which he is part of this one.

3.- A world created from wastes of the known reality and a being that is in a quest to find the odd dimension-consciousness, architect of this world.

Untitled-1.jpg

Advertisement
The office guy:

Everybody had a job they hated, the office guy can be anybody and everybody. Or more accurately, the player. Plus I personally like the idea of the surreal "Dream Space" and what cool thinks you can do with that concept. If you can get the surreal really surreal, with some mindfucks in it... I'd love to play it.

Plus you can do the "boring office work" as sort of a minigame... which is intentionally boring. And later in the game you could start melting both worlds together. You can really be creative.
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

Anything but the second option.

It's been done and... well, I wasn't too into it the first time.

Definitely the bored Office Guy.

It's just far-more interesting and there's just more potential to intersect with the surrealist world in a way people can easily relate to, like BluefireHawk said.

Heck, you can even do what Spec Ops: The Line did when they criticized the fps genre, cross thematic messages toward the player and their own reasons for using games as escapism from their own boring lives like Office Guy.

You know. If you wanted to get into that.

The second option has been done to death, so if you want to beat a dead horse, I guess you can but shouldn't.

As for the third option - It seems pretty lofty, at least to me. I guess this "odd-dimension consciousness" could be God or since the world is created through the wastes of reality, the devil. Or you can play with an eastern religious mindset (Evil in good, good in evil) with God.

I imagine the third option to be more focused on the aspect of faith and while it's a unique idea/aspect, I can imagine it being really easy to screw up in terms of writing in terms of finding a balance between preaching and boring someone. Not to mention that having a central aspect of faith is both uncharted territory and a tricky can of worms to open up.

Personally, I'm rooting for the first option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement