IDE?

Started by
17 comments, last by Stroppy Katamari 11 years, 3 months ago

I want to start some C++ development. I usually code in C# but I think its time for me to learn another language.

What IDE do other C++ developers recommend?

I have VS2010 + VS2012 (though dreamspark), but I could also use eclipse, CodeBlocks, etc...

Any good modern C++ eBooks would also be nice.

All replies appriciated.

Thanks, Xanather.

Advertisement

Stick with Visual Studio so you're only having to learn on thing at a time. Frankly, there isn't a better IDE than Visual Studio, anyway.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Visual Studio is kinda the industry standard. However, not working in the industry, I use QtCreator instead. smile.png

I haven't used Visual Studio and so can't compare the two directly in terms of quality.

Ok, should I install VS2010 or VS2012?

2012. Why use old software?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Why not the latest version? By the time your done learning C++, you'll be on VS 2016 anyway.

By the way, Visual Studio is free - you don't have to get it from Dream Spark. The "Express" edition of Visual Studio is fully-featured and completely unhindered, even for commercial software.

The limitations of Visual C++ Express 2012 are: (from wikipedia)

• No resource editor.
  • No built-in MFC support.
  • No built-in ATL support.
  • No profiling support.
  • No support for OpenMP.
  • No support for add-ins or IDE macros.
  • No option for crash dump generation (Debug->Save Dump As).

6 out of 7 you probably won't use for the first two years of your programming anyway. 5 out of 7 you might not use for the first five years of programming. Some you might never use. The Express version is perfectly fine for most needs.

Awesome, looks like ill use VS2012. I just thought VS2012 was aimed at Windows 8 Store development more.

Thanks everyone :D.

Use Visual Studio and be thankful you dont have to work with Code Warrior or some other crappy thing like that.

Use Visual Studio and be thankful you dont have to work with Code Warrior or some other crappy thing like that.

Yeah i know, I am very thankful of dreamspark and its tools :)

Why not the latest version? By the time your done learning C++, you'll be on VS 2016 anyway.

By the way, Visual Studio is free - you don't have to get it from Dream Spark. The "Express" edition of Visual Studio is fully-featured and completely unhindered, even for commercial software.

The limitations of Visual C++ Express 2012 are: (from wikipedia)

• No resource editor.
  • No built-in MFC support.
  • No built-in ATL support.
  • No profiling support.
  • No support for OpenMP.
  • No support for add-ins or IDE macros.
  • No option for crash dump generation (Debug->Save Dump As).

6 out of 7 you probably won't use for the first two years of your programming anyway. 5 out of 7 you might not use for the first five years of programming. Some you might never use. The Express version is perfectly fine for most needs.

Yeah but there is no reason to pick the express edition when you have access to a free full edition, either through dreamspark, MSDN aa or your own license. Getting a plugin like Visual Assist X is useful as well.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement