Applying for local jobs with the intent to move.

Started by
11 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 3 months ago

So I'm about to start applying for QA jobs with the intention of moving to wherever I can find a job. I'm pretty open in that regard but a couple of things occurred to me that I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with.

Firstly, how do developers view an application from someone who is applying from out of the area but is planning to move? I was told that in my cover letter or some piece of my application I should specify that I am already planning to move to X city regardless of whether or not I get the job. This was all fine until the second issue occurred to me... The interview... I can't say I'm already moving to a city if it means that I'm going to ask to schedule an interview the week that I supposedly get there thus leaving me moved to a city where I don't necessarily even have a job... Not the situation I want to be in...

But beyond that, how can an applicant in my position possibly be available for an interview assuming that virtually all companies would want to have one before they hire. I live on the east coast and its obviously just not feasible for me to drive to the west coast for an interview... I need a sure thing before it makes sense to make the trip.

Not sure if there is really an answer here but I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I know there are companies on the east coast and I am applying to several but it seems like at least 80% of the larger developers are on the west coast and frankly I'd prefer to move there anyway.

Advertisement

Just tell the truth, you're "willing to relocate". Don't try to game the system with half-truths and technically-rights.

Most places start off with phone interviews. If they like you and need you to come in for a face-to-face interview, a lot of companies will pay for a plane ticket to get you there. I had one place even pay for my hotel and dinner, it was rather nice.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I agree with capn_midnight. Let them know you are 'willing to relocate'. My workplace will do phone interviews and even pay for relocation if the candidate is right. Being honest is better then telling them you are moving when in fact you might not be.
*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***

Moving this to the Breaking In forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

So I'm about to start applying for QA jobs with the intention of moving to wherever I can find a job. I'm pretty open in that regard but a couple of things occurred to me that I was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with.

Firstly, how do developers view an application from someone who is applying from out of the area but is planning to move?

The first thing I look for in a QA application is, "is he local?" If he isn't, I put the application in the cylindrical file.

The advice you got above ("say 'I'm willing to relocate'") is wrong. Flat-out wrong. We're talking about QA, one of the lowest entry-level jobs there is in games. You have to already be local, before anybody will look at your resume or consider interviewing you.

Read the FAQs now that this thread is in the Breaking In forum.

Go back out to the Breaking In forum main page, and look for the FAQ link at upper right.

URL: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

Alright so it sounds like I'm going to have to head out there before even applying. What happens if you don't get a job? I mean there are only so many companies in each region. I guess if I just go to Southern California I'll be able to move around a bit more easily but it all sounds like a very risky and difficult process to me if that is really the case.

Can anyone else give me any advice here? Has anyone gone through this kind of thing themselves?

Alright so it sounds like I'm going to have to head out there before even applying. What happens if you don't get a job? I mean there are only so many companies in each region. I guess if I just go to Southern California I'll be able to move around a bit more easily but it all sounds like a very risky and difficult process to me if that is really the case.
Can anyone else give me any advice here? Has anyone gone through this kind of thing themselves?

Yes, it's a risk. Don't take the risk, and you definitely won't get the job. Take the risk, and you might. Life is all about taking risks.

There's a guy I know. He was working at a national retail chain in his home town, and had saved up a little money and could afford to move to California. He lined up a transfer to a California branch of the national retailer so he would have a job that would keep him housed and fed while he applied to game jobs.

At the risk of sounding belligerent, why would it matter if you're local? This doesn't sound like it's the case for the OP, but if you're not asking the company to front any costs--i.e., if you don't ask them to cover a plane ride down for the interview, or hotel costs, or moving costs, or anything like that--what difference is it to them?

(I'm not disagreeing with the reality that it does make a difference; I'm just not sure I get why.)

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

At the risk of sounding belligerent, why would it matter if you're local? This doesn't sound like it's the case for the OP, but if you're not asking the company to front any costs--i.e., if you don't ask them to cover a plane ride down for the interview, or hotel costs, or moving costs, or anything like that--what difference is it to them?

(I'm not disagreeing with the reality that it does make a difference; I'm just not sure I get why.)

Because a hundred local guys are banging down my door to test games for me. Because if I ask Shake92 to come in for an interview at 2:00 this afternoon, he can't, but a hundred other guys can. Because if I want Shake92 to start work tomorrow morning, he can't, but a hundred other guys can.

Just tell the truth, you're "willing to relocate". Don't try to game the system with half-truths and technically-rights.

I agree with this part completely, but like Mr. Sloper said, when you're looking for an entry level position, there are far more candidates for the potential employeer to choose.

When developing your skills and tallents for making games, you become more valuable and set yourself apart from the pack. The more deverse or better you become, the further employeers are willing to reach to hire you.

But I'm just regurgitating what's already been said before.

Instead, I want to pose a question to you Shake92; what is your end goal in getting a job in QA?

Is it to get your dream games made?

Do you want to be seen as a creative genius and get piles of money and women?

Work your way in as a programmer?

Is it to get inside so someone can get a look at your artwork?

Are you planning on moving on up through the studio until you own the place?

All are tough career moves to make even if you have an amazing portfolio, resume, experience, and connections in the studio already.

Its good to plan a goal that this step will take you closer to.

Not trying to discourage you, just maybe help you (or others) to think ahead and make a plan for their future. biggrin.png

Hope I was some help!

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement