Who uses linux?

Started by
73 comments, last by NetGnome 11 years, 3 months ago

This seems like a very dumb question, but every laptop, desktop I've seen comes with Windows or Mac pre-installed. Then who cares to switch to Linux? Linux can't run everyday programs such as MS office..

An invisible text.
Advertisement

[quote name='lride' timestamp='1357336308' post='5017515']
Linux can't run everyday programs such as MS office..
[/quote]

Terrible example. See http://www.openoffice.org (Which I use on my Windows machine instead of MS Office BTW)

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

here and there. I am a fan of linux as well as i do not have to open many word documents :)

Moving to the lounge.

True, end users typicaly don't use it.

People use Linux because MS and Mac suck as servers. I mean let's face it, would you want the internets backbone servers to run on something that crashes every 24-48 hours.

Unix like Linux is perfect for building servers but unlike linux, Unix often is not GPL licensed.

Terrible example. See http://www.openoffice.org (Which I use on my Windows machine instead of MS Office BTW)

That doesn't really answer to question... it's not an argument, where you need to come up with counterexamples. He just wants to know. I'd like to know too.

Linux is just about the best OS out there. It will run many MS programs through WINE, and if it wont run, there are several substitute softwares. The best Linux distros ive used sofar are... ubunt(before version 10.10) , Linux MINT, Crunchbang. Every since i switched to linux back in 205ish... i've found it very difficult to chang back to windows. and well... Mac OS is for losers.

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

That doesn't really answer to question... it's not an argument, where you need to come up with counterexamples. He just wants to know. I'd like to know too.

It seemed his argument to why no-one would use Linux includes not being able to run programs like MS Office. I showed him you can use programs (like) MS Office, thus refuting one of his reasons NOT to use Linux.

However, I only use Linux at work, and prefer Windows at home, so that's all I can offer.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

I think the reason that computer manufacturers install Windows on their PCs is because it's generally more user friendly than Linux. Although, I think Ubuntu is converting to be more user friendly with its Unity desktop.

My router uses Linux, though I don't use it as a desktop OS. I use Windows 7 32 bit currently. I have a bootable Linux disc (Knoppix), for recovery of files when Windows fails to boot. I'll probably use Ubuntu when I need to port my game to Linux.

500 million smartphone users run Linux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement