Idea for non-collectible card game that is still collectible.

Started by
8 comments, last by Legendre 11 years, 2 months ago
Would it be feasible to make a CCG that caters to both the competitive-non-collectible crowd and the collectible crowd at the same time using this method:
1) An entire tournament viable set can be bought for say US$30.
2) Players can still choose to buy boosters, which contains foil/alternate-art/premium cards.
So anyone who don't card about collectibility can just pay US$30 up front and have access to all the cards of the game. But collectors can still chase the foil or expanded art mythic rare by opening boosters.
Is this a good idea? Are there examples of this being done before that I can study?
*We focus on constructed formats in this discussion and ignore draft/limited formats.
Advertisement

I think you would end up flooding the market with secondary cards that are discards from the 'collectors' and your $30 main pack would end up looking really over priced. To prevent this the boosters would need to contain cards not found in the main pack.

I think it would be a hard thing to sell, considering the 'collectible' cards in a normal CCG are collectible because of their power, not because of the rarity or artwork (though rarity is a side effect built into the design).

I think you would end up flooding the market with secondary cards that are discards from the 'collectors' and your $30 main pack would end up looking really over priced. To prevent this the boosters would need to contain cards not found in the main pack.

That a good point. In Magic: the Gathering, a lot of common, uncommon and junk rares come in bulk for cheap. Perhaps there could be a US$20 set of rares and ultra-rare cards, and a separate US$10 set of commons and uncommons?

CCG distribution is hard... >___<

CCG is also copy written by wizards of the coast, so technically you'd have to pay them royalties as well. I don't know what the cost is, but you'll want to keep that in mind with the distribution issues.

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Wizards+of+The+Coast%22

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

some deck-building will be preferred too, if the cards are reasonably balanced people wont feel like they either have to invest a lot in different cards or get a preconstructed deck

For the Full-Decks, you could have a random selection of cards that are foil, then they get the full action, but only a few random foils ones. But as soon as you introduce rare cards, I.e. not in the full deck, then people will still build decks using rares.

Perhaps you could make the rare card part of a separate mechanic, where there could only be one rare card in play from a player, and it altars the effect of cards they play or someone else plays. Then every one uses the standard deck, plus this one extra card to define the game play method. every full deck includes two of these at random, but then other decks can be bought, that only have these special cards. The problem with MTG, is the huge number of lands, along with lower value cards, when buying bulk cards. This would just be mechanic cards. This could become even more interesting with 3 or more players as well.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

CCG is also copy written by wizards of the coast, so technically you'd have to pay them royalties as well. I don't know what the cost is, but you'll want to keep that in mind with the distribution issues.

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=%22Wizards+of+The+Coast%22

Thanks for bringing this up.

The key part of the patent is the mechanics (turning cards sideways - "tapping"). Discussions and cases over the years suggests no infringement as long as we have sufficiently different mechanics, especially avoiding turning cards sideways to "tap" them.

Also, I spoke to a patent lawyer and was told that patents aren't as legit/strong as copyrights or trademark. Obvious copyright/trademark infringements is almost certainly a loss. But outcomes for even obvious patent infringements is often unknown. Having a patent does not mean it will automatically hold up in court, unlike copyrights and trademarks.

some deck-building will be preferred too, if the cards are reasonably balanced people wont feel like they either have to invest a lot in different cards or get a preconstructed deck

This is exactly the same as the Magic: the Gathering model: you have card sets from which you can build decks. You can buy booster packs containing random cards.

The only difference is that you can buy a full tournament playset of every card in a set for US$20-30 (say 4 of each card). You still have to build a deck from these cards.

There are no preconstructed decks.

a precon is a must, you cannot expect a (potential!!) player to both grasp the deckbuilding and playing the deck in one go, not to mention that even veteran players sometimes just want to play a game without any hassle

powerneg, on 27 Jan 2013 - 21:49, said:
a precon is a must, you cannot expect a (potential!!) player to both grasp the deckbuilding and playing the deck in one go, not to mention that even veteran players sometimes just want to play a game without any hassle

+1. That is a good point. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement