MMO RTS, what if blown up stuff didn't disappear?

Started by
12 comments, last by Dan Violet Sagmiller 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm working on an MMO RTS, that I imagine will have things like tanks. And weapons like EMP's. EMP's don't blow stuff up, they just cripple electrical equipment. So what if you had a large group of tanks approaching and crippled only the first wave with an EMP. the other tanks typically can't just ride over the first tanks. But in Star Craft and most others, the just disappear

It makes sense from a processing sense, as ever bit of shrapnel takes a toll on performance. (I have ideas on how to make that better in certain areas) I like the idea of being able to take a disabled tank, rehabilitate it, and use it for your side. Or even take a disabled tank and learn its technologies.

What ideas do you guys have for left behind shrapnel? Handling it, clearing it, etc...

I'm not as interested in the programming of it, but more in the application of it to the player. What would it mean to you, what complications and advantages could be used? would it be annoying to deal with and are their ways around the annoyances?

Thanks.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Advertisement

Total Annihilation did this WAY back in the day. Units would leave behind block scrap heaps, which could be harvested back (for metal, one of the 2 resources).

With additional fire, the scrap heaps would crumble, clearing the way, but also reducing the salvage value.

I still consider Total Annihilation the best RTS ever, and I liked the scrap heaps as it gave the winner of a battle the spoils (if you took the time to collect them).

Also Metal Fatigue. In that game, you make big giant robot mechs, each made up of Torso, Head, Arms, and Legs. When a robot is destroyed, those pieces scatter on the battlefield. Another mech could come and grab the arms and utilize them right away (Laser Sword arm, homing missiles launcher arm, etc.). Other pieces need to be brought back to base, researched, reverse-engineered, then you can use enemy's technology against them. AWESOME game. TRY IT.

Don't know if this is exactly an answer, but CnC Generals had something like that. The GLA faction had a hero unit Jarmen Kell who had a snipe ability, which would render any vehicle unit neutral, and which would then be captureable by sending any infantry unit into the vehicle. And you could theoretically have an infinite number of neutral vehicles, although it was rarely so, since players would try getting those vehicles for themselves as fast as they could :)

Also, the game Universe At War had a similair principle, as every mechanical unit destroyed on the battlefield was then salvagable for resources.

devstropo.blogspot.com - Random stuff about my gamedev hobby

[quote name='Cyberdogs7' timestamp='1357504034' post='5018296']
Units would leave behind block scrap heaps, which could be harvested back (for metal, one of the 2 resources).
[/quote]

Excellent idea. I like the idea of recycling for raw materials, or, if you know how to use it, there is potential for parts to be salvaged as well.

[quote name='Cyberdogs7' timestamp='1357504034' post='5018296']
With additional fire, the scrap heaps would crumble, clearing the way, but also reducing the salvage value.
[/quote]

Also a good idea. Scrap heaps or disabled vehicles could be blown up with rockets/tanks, etc... to get them out of the way. or, prevent capture for studying the techs.

[quote name='PyrZern' timestamp='1357523564' post='5018389']
When a robot is destroyed, those pieces scatter on the battlefield. Another mech could come and grab the arms and utilize them right away (Laser Sword arm, homing missiles launcher arm, etc.). Other pieces need to be brought back to base, researched, reverse-engineered, then you can use enemy's technology against them.
[/quote]

I definitely like the idea of usable parts. For instance perhaps tanks and other vehicles have optional weapon bays, which you can pay to have something their, or upgrade these ports. That would be quite nice that a tank, if their mechanic has the skills, could collect and attach these additional features.

[quote name='Strewya' timestamp='1357546069' post='5018505']

Don't know if this is exactly an answer, but CnC Generals had something like that. The GLA faction had a hero unit Jarmen Kell who had a snipe ability, which would render any vehicle unit neutral, and which would then be captureable by sending any infantry unit into the vehicle. And you could theoretically have an infinite number of neutral vehicles, although it was rarely so, since players would try getting those vehicles for themselves as fast as they could
[/quote]

This is good, having weapons or troops with skills to disable instead of destroy. like turrets for instance, not just vehicles. as this would allow you to take over a turret at the edge of an enemy base, using their own weapons against them.

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

just make sure those abilities aren't too spammable, because it can get really annoying for the guy it's being used on.

always think about the guy on the receiving end when designing abilities :)

devstropo.blogspot.com - Random stuff about my gamedev hobby

In the single player RTS I' m currently working on the debris of destroyed units stays on the map until level completion I think its makes for more realistic enviroment for the player.

It's not only much more realistic, but also interesting from a strategic point of view.

Having an EMP cannon would be not only a means of destroying some units (all units that have un-fortified electronics), but it also lends as a kind of improvised Czech hedgehog (debris blocking the way), and finally the enemy delivers resources right to your doorstep. Three for the price of one -- that's almost as good as Kinder Surprise :-)

Of course you would need to have fortified tanks or tanks without electric circuits, too. Otherwise using anything except EMP would be utterly pointless.

[quote name='Strewya' timestamp='1357566894' post='5018582']
just make sure those abilities aren't too spammable, because it can get really annoying for the guy it's being used on.
always think about the guy on the receiving end when designing abilities
[/quote]

That's a good point. I would need to make it easier to take out than to take over, and make it a feature that turrets can upgrade, to first focus on approaching sabatours, or have a self destruct mechanism on take over. Or even have a trap where if a turret is taken over, its weapons silently switch to healing rays, or shield buffers, so when its shooting your troops/machines, its a good thing. *perhaps* being the operative word. I agree that this could be an annoying mechanic, and will certainly need consideration on how it works and remains balanced.

I think this disabled, immobilized or destroyed permanent wreck system combined with Company of Heroes cover system could make the wreck of a defeated tank column into the covered approach of an infantry platoon. could be a lot of fun. Lighter vehicles could act like red barrels, being an explosive target for someone fighting someone foolish enough to use it as cover.

To save on data the library of instanced map objects could have a dynamic portion that allows dead units to be added and subtracted (if destroyed or salvaged) from it making the rules of the map's instanced objects apply to it. Maybe create a texture set that can be carried over to any wreck and corpse, the dead unit could then be replaced with the identical instanced map object and the instanced texture data, making the dynamic object into a static part of the map and level design.

This could be especially impressive with huge ships in low orbit crashing into the surface. Becoming a whole new part of the map and dynamic addition to the game since every time it crashed it would be different.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement