Text editors that's optimized for 16:9 Laptops

Started by
20 comments, last by Khatharr 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello I'm new here and I would like to know of a split pane text editor that continues from where the the other pane left off.

I got this idea from a Coffee Shop where a Developer used a Bluetooth Keyboard and flipped his Macbook Air sideways and I asked why and he says "I can see what I'm doing more and get more lines of code on screen" he also said he also has a Thinkpad T60p and he said that was the best laptop you can get with 1,200 Vertical pixels (It's a high end 4:3 Laptop, so it's 1600x1200) without spending thousands of dollars for a 1920x1200 16:10 laptop.

Here's a diagram of what I mean with most laptops being at 1366x768:

Laptop_coding_resolusion.png?psid=1

Laptop_coding_mockup.png?psid=1

So, is there a Text Editor that offers what I'm looking for?

Edit: I hate not having spell check in paint

Advertisement

I don't know of any, and I don't think that'd be a terribly great way to code anyhow, because then your lines are gonna start running off the right edge of the text areas if they're longer than about 50-70 characters using half of a common 1366x768 screen.

It'd probably be more effective to configure your IDE of choice such that your code window extends the entire height of the display (whereas most editors default to having some number of lines for the output window. Some IDE's have a button that allows you to quickly hide/show the output panel too.

Another option would be to turn down the font size by 2pts or so, and maybe try a different fixed-width font -- there are some that you can download which are optimized for readability at smaller font sizes. Don't strain your eyes or anything, but you can easily gain 10-15 lines with the right font and font size.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I use visual studio with a window layout like that, but with two different files open in the right/left panes (and traditional scrolling, instead of book-type).

I set all the "solution explorer" etc panes to auto-hide, and then right click on a file-tab and use "New Vertical Tab Group" to create the 2 panes. I also then right-click on the find-results and output panes and change them to "Tabbed documents" so that I can place them in these panes.

DLm8F.png

I've thought before that having the 1 file in both panes (scrolling in sync with each other) would be a good idea too wink.png but have never seen it. Maybe there's a VS plugin that can do it for me...

You can use "Window->New Window" to get two views of the same document, so you can view it in both the left/right panes, however, they don't scroll in sync with each other.

Actually, it looks like Sublime Editor does that, though I still have reservations about how well it actually works, and it seems not to treat the second text area as "overflow" of the first, but as a second, independent window for a second location in the file, or another file entirely.

In any event, its a really neat editor anyhow, so if you're looking to try something new anyhow its a good place to start.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

double post
Vim's built-in functionality can do pretty much what kodekrunch is asking for. Just split the view, jump the rightmost window one screen forward, and :set scrollbind for both windows. They will then scroll in sync, with right window staying a screenful of text ahead of the other.

Putting this macro into your .vimrc file lets you switch into that view with a single press of the F12 key:
map <F12> :vs<CR><C-W>w<C-F>:set scrollbind<CR><C-W>w:set scrollbind<CR>

This simple implementation won't keep the second window updated when you jump between files in the first window, but it's easy to at least modify this so that every other keypress toggles back to single window mode, and therefore you can fix the second window's view by tapping the key twice. That should be decently usable. It's also possible someone has already made a polished vim plugin for this.

After a bit of googleing with terms that's hard to make friendly to search engines, (this is one of these things that's hard to describe to a search engine, so it takes hours to find) I found out how to do it in Notepad++.

Go to View>Move/ Clone Current Document>Clone to other view

Then on the right pane, go where the left pane leaves off from

Then go to View>Synchronize Vertical Scrolling

Screenshot from my Desktop:

split_pane.png?psid=1

You can layout any windowed program like that in Win 7. Hold the windows key and press the arrow keys, and you can align your windows to the edge of the screen. Left and right will snap them to either edge. Up and down will do different things depending on context. Very useful. Especially for browsing multiple websites.
You can layout any windowed program like that in Win 7. Hold the windows key and press the arrow keys, and you can align your windows to the edge of the screen. Left and right will snap them to either edge. Up and down will do different things depending on context. Very useful. Especially for browsing multiple websites.

Actually you could do that in winxp as well i think - ctrl+clicking on multiple windows in the taskbar let you select multiple ones and could then right click and select Tile Horizontally / Vertically (it's some combination like that, not 100% sure). It's one of those features that I don't think Windows ever advertised as much as it should have.

What a coincidence. I'm on a Thinkpad T60p right now (1400x1050).

Many text editors allow you to use multiple views to do this, as stated above. I use Kate, which has multiple views that can divide the screen somewhat arbitrarily and view any (including the same) file in each.

However, I like having the width of the screen, as well; code rarely stays within the 80 columns that are recommended, as far as I've seen. I'm not sure what editor puts the text in the center like that, but I use a comfortably smaller font size and a single view, with fast scrolling. As much as I like to see as much code as possible, I find that in practice, it often goes to waste.

Think of it this way: if you had a screen that was as large as your wall, you'd see a ton of code at once, but how much can you physically see and interact with at the same time? At a certain point that is different for each person, there is no more benefit in displaying more lines; if my screen was twice as high, and I had to look down to see the extra lines, I could just as easy scroll down a page and not move my eyes too far. Additionally, there's a decent chance that the code on the other view is not needed, and thus is taking up half of the screen with irrelevant text.

Don't let me discourage you, however; I'm just saying that for me, a smaller font size and an efficient touchpad setup outweigh the benefits of bisecting my screen width-wise, so if you are simply looking to see more code, this may be another option.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement