• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrheisenberg

OpenGL Is Clustered Forward Shading worth implementing?

This topic is 2028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm referring to this: http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~uffe/clustered_shading_preprint.pdf there is also a video avaliable 

">
the performance of this technique seems to scale perfectly for huge amounts of lights,but on lower amounts performs a little worse than the less advanced tiled culling method.The thing is - has there ever been a case where you will need 30 thousand lights in a scene?Plus,won't it get bottlenecked by generating shadow maps for all the lights(in the youtube video the lights just pass trough the bridge and under it).Unfortunately I couldn't test it's performance,because for some reason the provided demo won't start up(even tho I support OpenGL 3 and higher) and I've never done GLSL,so it might take time to get it to work.

Advertisement

One thing I like about the tiled Clustered is that it become "cheaper" to handle transparent object. In the case of tiled deferred you have to build 2 lists, one that used the depth buffer for the light culling and one without. So yo can have a massive overhead on the transparent pass. With clustered 1 culling is necessary.

But again that depend of the light count (also clustered is a heavier in term of memory size if I'm correct) and the scene.

Also at the Siggraph Asia , they were a presentation about a 2.5D culling techinque that you can find here : https://sites.google.com/site/takahiroharada/

the Z-prepass worries me,does that mean I have to do the tessellation twice as well?(tessellation already hits my FPS big time)

Edited by mrheisenberg

you can also try to sort front to back instead, if you are vertex bound, that might give you better results. another approach is to use occluder object, you can get 90% of the culling as with zprepass, yet without the cost.

but tesselated geometry has another problem, you cover a lot of pixel just partially when AA is enabled, that increases the costs a lot in the pixelshader. something like POM might scale way better.

how much vRAM do your GBuffers usually take up?GPU-Z tells me with 8xMSAA that mine takes around 350mb just for a position,color,normal,specular buffer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!