Serious Procrastination Problems!

Started by
31 comments, last by Icebone1000 11 years, 2 months ago
@BCullis I think by now you should know exactly what i want to get from this, a good discussion. Its not often talked about.

Because there's nothing to really gain from talking about it.

The point of my "I don't know what you expect to get" starter was that procrastination as a stumbling block is only ever solved by finally getting to work, no matter how much discussing you do about it. No one has ever stopped procrastinating on a task by talking to other people about how they're putting off getting started. And it sounds like you have quite the task on your hands and an approaching deadline.

i just so happened to make the worst decision ever by getting a graphics card for xmas! I gave in, my stupid brain just wants games XD

This is why I can't take it seriously as a "lets ponder the origins and solutions to procrastination" discussion. It's an issue of discipline, and comments like this say "I don't have any". There's your answer. It's like eating junk food instead of making yourself a healthy dinner: games are immediate gratification, hard work takes time and isn't fun. Until it is, which happens pretty much once you start.

Since this is a college assignment, it's not optional (unless you're deciding passing your course is optional, in which case, game away!), otherwise I'd second someone's comment earlier that you should instead pick something you're more interested in working on. As for your theory, it reads more like denial or an excuse: "obviously it's the games' fault that I'm not motivated!" Please. You don't want to work on the project because it's work. I'm just going to say it's due to burnout from being in school for a while, I too had trouble being as motivated in the last semesters of my undergrad. But I still worked on some pretty awesome projects that got me fired up once I got started.

OK. so at this point i could easily pick flaws in what you are saying and start a big long internet argument which would drag out for ages and be of no use to anyone but for both of us defending our massive egos. Instead i will just say this, i made the thread to get people to share their experiences on this topic because i thought it would be interesting to read, if that in itself is procrastination then so be it. I am not looking for a solution, i know what i need to do. I'm sorry if i didn't communicate this well.

Advertisement

[quote name='hughdesmond2006' timestamp='1357838328' post='5019914']
I am not looking for a solution, i know what i need to do. I'm sorry if i didn't communicate this well.
[/quote]

Y'know, you're right. I read back through the OP and at no point was there ever a request for advice. I just jumped into that mode because I saw the same mindset and roadblocks that I used to struggle with and got all preachy. Sorry for pushing my assumptions. Good luck with the project.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

I am not looking for a solution, i know what i need to do. I'm sorry if i didn't communicate this well.

Y'know, you're right. I read back through the OP and at no point was there ever a request for advice. I just jumped into that mode because I saw the same mindset and roadblocks that I used to struggle with and got all preachy. Sorry for pushing my assumptions. Good luck with the project.

Thanks man!

If you can afford to, I'd suggest getting a dedicated work machine. Any cheap, probably used, 1-2 year old laptop will be enough for programming, even games, if you are not planning on developing the next CryEngine.
When you can't simply start "the game I just thought about right now OMG I want to play it" and instead have to get up -> start the PC -> wait for it to boot -> log in -> start the game, you will probably get back to coding more often.

anyone else have similar problems?

Oh, yes. Very much. ;)
If you can afford to, I'd suggest getting a dedicated work machine. Any cheap, probably used, 1-2 year old laptop will be enough for programming, even games, if you are not planning on developing the next CryEngine

Be wary of the requirements of your dev tools. I wanted to develop for WP8 over my vacation, but you need 64 bit W8, and I only had 32 bit W8 on my laptop.

You know, it's funny. Every single time I work on any project in which I do something I've never done before, no matter how small that something is, I end up reinforcing and relearning things that didn't stick the first time, or stumbling upon a new idea that challenges my idea of programming. It shocks me every time. It makes me want to always be doing something challenging.

My problem is that I struggle to find ideas that excite me enough to want to build them. It wasn't always like this, but recently I've started to feel this way. I thought it might be distractions, so yesterday I went and sold my Xbox and all my games to GameStop to get that out of the way. So far it hasn't been too much help. Funnily, when I do find an exciting project, I can go for weeks. It's harder to stop than start at that point.

I guess the best thing people like myself can do is just be completely honest. If the project seems like a cool idea, but it doesn't make you want to jump up and start working on it immediately, then it's either not cool enough, or not something you're excited by. In either case, move on. It's not worth your time. It'll be another incomplete project to make you hate yourself. I think in my case it might be good to break from game programming for a bit and experiment in other things for a while.

Dune 2000 has been taking me away from my projects since 1998! sad.png

Now, if you will excuse me I do have to get back to some android progra...sigh...oh fuck it....LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!!! KILL UNTIL NO HARKONNEN BREATH ARRAKEEN AIR!!! FOR SHAI-HULUD!!!ohmy.png

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

You know, it's funny. Every single time I work on any project in which I do something I've never done before, no matter how small that something is, I end up reinforcing and relearning things that didn't stick the first time, or stumbling upon a new idea that challenges my idea of programming. It shocks me every time. It makes me want to always be doing something challenging.

My problem is that I struggle to find ideas that excite me enough to want to build them. It wasn't always like this, but recently I've started to feel this way. I thought it might be distractions, so yesterday I went and sold my Xbox and all my games to GameStop to get that out of the way. So far it hasn't been too much help. Funnily, when I do find an exciting project, I can go for weeks. It's harder to stop than start at that point.

I guess the best thing people like myself can do is just be completely honest. If the project seems like a cool idea, but it doesn't make you want to jump up and start working on it immediately, then it's either not cool enough, or not something you're excited by. In either case, move on. It's not worth your time. It'll be another incomplete project to make you hate yourself. I think in my case it might be good to break from game programming for a bit and experiment in other things for a while.

yeah i did the same thing with my ps3 couple of years ago, ebayed it and sold all my games. but then after a few months i went crazy and bought an xbox haha!!

Then i went through another similar phase but less extreme about 4/5 months ago, didnt sell my Xbox but just didn't renew my live gold and most of the games i have for it i only play multiplayer so its like the same thing. It went very well up until just before xmas, i started dabbing in free or old PC games which i haven't done in years and gradually got back into gaming with the excitement surrounding all the great new releases around that time, November i think, was a crazy month for great game releases.

Thing is, its still great to have games for downtime, say if i was tired from some exercise, often im not tired enough to go straight to bed, but my brain isn't in the right mode for programming/creativity, then i wouldn't feel guilty relaxing and playing some games, just like anyone else might watch some evening TV or read a book. Sadly the addictive nature of games + an addictive personality leads to game time spilling into other less suitable time periods for example the one we all struggle with - BED TIME!! :D

Anyone else find if they put the same amount of time they spend PLAYING video games into MAKING them, you would be flying it!
I actually spend much less time on playing video games than I do on working on my system. And it isn't making it anyway.
Last bug I fixed involved an assumption made like two years ago which suddenly turned out to not hold anymore. Personally I blame the library writer, but since I have to deal with it, I had to fix it anyway. In retrospect, his arguments made sense.

I figured out I could take advantage of the end of the year to play some games. Such as those in the THQ bundle. Saints Row 3rd is totally awesome, I wish I could learn to use a gamepad.

I am being constantly exposed to cutting edge, top-notch game development and design, so when i return to my primal, sorry excuse for a game (which is to be expected for a 1st attempt) my drive and enthusiasm suffers immensely! Instead of using these games for inspiration, I am just being constantly reminded of how many ideas I wont be able to implement because of my level of skill.
Don't do that to yourself. You are not unable to implement those because of your skill. Maybe. Even if you were the most skilled out of there, you couldn't make it anyway as you lack
  • Those few (tens of) millions of budget
  • Those tens of interns / team members to help you out and do the artwork
  • The extensive know how accumulated over time (of course we'll help you there as we're all awesome here :D )
By the way, ask those AAA project teams if they can do that without a budget! Not gonna work either!

Previously "Krohm"

Most topics commonly dealt with in programming are hard as fck for the newcomer and even for the veteran who never dealt with X, Y or Z kind of programming.

It is what it is, just have in mind that the people who code the things that you enjoy are just that, people, so even if it's hard, you gotta start learning. So grab a book and read, even if you don't understand it all (and you wont), in a few months you'll probably be thinking "Why I was overwhelmed by that!? Its very easy, now in the other hand this thing right here..." thus you'll also be knee-deep into some other seemingly impossible to understand subject. Rinse and repeat forever.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement