How many hours do you program in a day?

Started by
23 comments, last by Aliii 11 years, 3 months ago
I develop approx 9 hours a day. ~6 to 7 hrs of work, and then 2 or 3 hours of hobby development.
Advertisement

I personally don't even bother starting to code unless i have 1h+ time free, cause i will get my code just started and am gonna end up with more comments to remember what stuff is for then actual code it self.

That being said i try to do sessions of 1h to 8h maximum.

What i usually do is program a little then recap what i have done, take a break (tea or snack), then repeat or just do something else.

But it happens that i lose my self in time and program for real long(4h-6h+), i just get intro it, i know what i want and i just go and do it. The project gets mega push / work done at those days and this happens more often as i start to being closer to my game being complete i just like seeing it all together in one application.

Love BaneTrapper.

This is interesting. I work as a software developer, though not in the game industry, so I have to put in at least 8 hours / work day in coding, or at least dealing with code-related issues (bugs, build issues, server issues, sifting through logs etc).

When I had the motivation for it, I would go home and put an additional 3-4 hrs almost every day on my personal project. But it's slowly becoming harder to keep up this schedule, and lately I've only been putting in the 2-4 hours on some days, occasionally - most often weekends.

This touching on another topic related to this, but I can't just work for under an hour on anything that I find interesting - so if I do start programming I often end up staying up later than i should have.

I think that having my hobby and my work be the same thing is actually starting to be detrimental to both right now.

Sheesh, compared to other I don't code enough as a programmer or I guess at least not now. Going over a bunch of Unity tutorials and trying to learn what I need to get my game prototype fleshed out. Only got my player controller working simply, still need its tweaks.

When I'm interested, my hobby programming times go from 2h daily (weekdays; up to 6h) to whoopng 12h. Also, each session lasts at least 30 minutes straight; if I can't think of solution for a problem I'm currently facing, I'll leave it and come later. If I have "streaks" of working things (meaning I don't need to debug those parts long) that usually urges me to invest more time into it.

5-7h for me, unless you only count the time i'm actively writing code. (Programming imo is more than just writing code)

That's a good distinction to make. I have a programming job, and lately I've been assigned a lot of debugging tasks, meaning I'm writing code almost never. But I'm still working with it about 6 hours a day.

I enjoy the days where I have a long-term task that involves a lot of design decisions and code creation, which is one reason I love my hobby project, because that's ALL it is for a while yet. But I'd say I work with code 8 hours a day during the weekdays (between dayjob code and game code).

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Probably about 2 hours... it spikes and declines on a regular basis. That said, I spend more time writing about code than coding these days... which I actually prefer.

10 - 12 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week, but it is also my job as well as my hobby. Clients and paying customers get the bulk of my time with my own personal projects only making minor progress. I believe I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to coding and knowledge though, many other programmers tend to spend a lot less time perfecting their art.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

About 6 hours a day, six or seven days a week. Most of the time is wasted on GameDev, so probably only about 1 1/2 hours a day is actual work, on average.

When I'm making good progress, alot more of the hours go to actual programming work.

When I'm not making progress, alot more of the hours go to browsing GameDev and helping newer programmers. You can chart the progress of my game by watching how fast my GameDev rating rises - huge increases in rating indicates slow progress of my project. laugh.png

I spend most my day at school and doing homework, but I try to make at least 30 minutes of time for programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement