Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssj4_flash

join RPG game design team!!!

ssj4_flash    122
DISCLAIMER: This is not a real PAYING job, just a group of people who love to make games! Hi, my name is SSJ4_Flash and I have started a game-design group called Phantom Entertainment. I currently have 2-3 modellers, and ONE possible programmer, and let''s face it, 1 is not enough for a whole game. Right now we are working on a game called "Chaotix". It is a 3D anime/Final Fantasy-style RPG that I have been thinking about and paper-designing for about a year. I have no prior game design experience, so I need any and all modelers, programmmers, animators, and atists who have any skills to contribute! I have school right now, so my webpage isnt quite done yet (the "Join" page for instance) so if you would like to join check out http://rain.prohosting.com/flash9/ and explore, and since the "Join" page is down, send me an email with your name, position you''re applying for, your email address, and your AIM name/ICQ #/MSN name. (No yahoo messenger names plz) PLZ PLZ PLZ join if you love the art of game design! If this becomes great enough to sell, I will put out a copyright on Phantom ENtertainment as a company, and all employees are promised royalties =) Once again, here is the list of staff needed: 1. C++/DirectX API programmer (plz knw how to make an FF-style RPG, too, so you can fill me in on details I may have missed lol) 2. Worldmap and town modeller 3. Sound artist 4. Music Artist (I already have some music, but I could use someone who is better, and/or has better rescources than DirectMusicProducer) 5. WebPage designer (only of you know flash and are really good at web-page design, and have time to update the page often) Hope to hear form you soon and DONT FORGET: JOIN PAGE IS DOWN SO SEND ME AN EMAIL WITH YOUR INFO! =) Thanx again ~SSJ4_Flash "Zorak, where we gonna find enough quirrels to make a kyte?"~Brak ''''Diff''''rent Braks'''' SSJ4_Flash

Reverse_Gecko    122
I might join your thing as a programmer in the future. I''ve been programming in c++ since 5th grade, but ive only just started two learn opengl about 2 months ago, so i dont thing i have enough experience to program a ood rpg write now. If you want me to help, tell me and mabey in a couple weeks i might know enough opengl to write a 3d rpg.

Pik    100
Wow, I wish I could get into some kind of team like this, but they are just too uncommon on these boards...
*snicker*

Drizzt DoUrden    100
SSJ4 stands for Saiya-Jin , or Super Saiyan, level four. This is from Dragon Ball Z.

Flash could mean the super hero Flash, or Flash 4 and 5 for web/ small game development.

Its not hungarian.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

krez    443
quote:
Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
SSJ4 stands for Saiya-Jin , or Super Saiyan, level four. This is from Dragon Ball Z.
Flash could mean the super hero Flash, or Flash 4 and 5 for web/ small game development.
Its not hungarian.

it was a joke... he started his post with "my name is SSJ4_Flash"... ert!

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Big Sassy    311
You should probably post this in the Help Wanted forum if you haven't already (I haven't looked there yet ). It's there for these kind of posts. Good luck in your seach

EDIT - damn typos...

Edited by - Big Sassy on October 17, 2001 12:59:41 AM

ssj4_flash    122
*smacks forehead* holy crap... what was that, like 3 or 4 different post about the orgin of my name just because I started with "my name is ssj4_flash..."?

okay, this will be pointless here, but;

1. YES SSJ4 is super sayajin lvl 4
2. Flash is the cool codename of agent Conrad Hart from the old sega genesis game "Flashback". I adopted the name because, well, it sounds cool, and it matches my grin =)

Are there any more actual RELEVANT post??

lol

"Zorak, where we gonna find enough quirrels to make a kyte?"~Brak ''''Diff''''rent Braks''''

SSJ4_Flash

black_mage_s    103
hmmmm.... your project is somewhat ambitious for a person with seemingly no programming experience. maybe the first thing you should do is look into some c++ books and programming tutorials, because everyone on my rpg design team has more than one job.
i am doing the world maps design, programming, story, animations, and the website
person 2 is doing concept, art, modelling, and story
person 3 is doing music, character design, and some story
person 4 is there so we can make fun of him if the stress of doing work adds up and we need to take it up on someone.

blueboycurtis    122
Don''t let these fools bring you down. If you have the ambition AND you have the willpower, incentive, drive, and patience to make it happen -- it will happen.

However, I would say one thing... don''t count on lots of experienced people rushing to your cause. Generally, if they are going to do something for free like this, it is probably their own project with their own ideas. Otherwise, they may know very little and just want to get involved with something.

I may or may not be of the latter type. I have a BS in CS and have programmed in C/C++, Java, and many many database and web technologies (which is what I did for a living... worked on Hallmark.com, bankyou.it, and opodo.com), but I am just now getting into microsoft/windows programming, OpenGL, DirectX, and game making (although I did do 3D modelling with physics and performance tuning for a game, using 3DStudio Max with the Havok physics engine)

If you still really need help, I might be able to chip in and it might be cool -- but I''ve got my own ambitious project goals to work on. Fortunately, I have plenty of time, because -- guess what? I''m unemployed. Got laid off like tons of other people. I feel sorry for the CS majors who think its going to be a cakewalk to find a job and/or make a bunch of money when they graduate...

anyways, let me know what you''ve accomplished so far... blueboycurtis@yahoo.com

blueboycurtis    122
Don''t let these fools bring you down. If you have the ambition AND you have the willpower, incentive, drive, and patience to make it happen -- it will happen.

However, I would say one thing... don''t count on lots of experienced people rushing to your cause. Generally, if they are going to do something for free like this, it is probably their own project with their own ideas. Otherwise, they may know very little and just want to get involved with something.

I may or may not be of the latter type. I have a BS in CS and have programmed in C/C++, Java, and many many database and web technologies (which is what I did for a living... worked on Hallmark.com, bankyou.it, and opodo.com), but I am just now getting into microsoft/windows programming, OpenGL, DirectX, and game making (although I did do 3D modelling with physics and performance tuning for a game, using 3DStudio Max with the Havok physics engine)

If you still really need help, I might be able to chip in and it might be cool -- but I''ve got my own ambitious project goals to work on. Fortunately, I have plenty of time, because -- guess what? I''m unemployed. Got laid off like tons of other people. I feel sorry for the CS majors who think its going to be a cakewalk to find a job and/or make a bunch of money when they graduate...

However, first thing''s first -- these guys are right about one thing: you need to get yourself some books and online tutorials and simple software to learn the bare basics (like I am doing right now) Start with "Hello, World!" Go from there.

anyways, let me know what you''ve accomplished so far... blueboycurtis@yahoo.com

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
"Phatom Entertainment." *Rollseyes*

SSJ4 you''re obviously not giving off a nice first impression. Perhaps you should start over anonymously with a more "convincing" post?

krez    443
quote:
Original post by black_mage_s
person 4 is there so we can make fun of him if the stress of doing work adds up and we need to take it up on someone.

this is the most important person on the team in my experience

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

black_mage_s    103
im not saying he cant do it, im just saying that maybe he should look into some programming books first. i once had the near exact same idea, and not having proper knowledge of what i wanted people to do, and what the limitations were made the project a flop. i just wanted to warn him of this

ssj4_flash    122
hunh... my original message really DID sound retarted...=p

Ronin_54 has a good point, and now I understand why I recieved so much criticism. At the time that I wrote that, I was recieveing about 5 hours of sleep each night (thats like half the amount of sleep I need lol). Even after I read people''s posts, I was half-asleep, and my original message still made sense to me lol. So, as a result of this, I''m going to take everyone''s advice and stop progress on my project until such time as that I have gathered more info on game design. Thanks to all for your *ahem* CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, and your suggestions. By now, none of you are probably going to read this, since it probably isnt on the first page of the board anymore, but I just had to get that off my chest =).

"Zorak, where we gonna find enough quirrels to make a kyte?"~Brak ''''Diff''''rent Braks''''

SSJ4_Flash

ssj4_flash    122
hunh... my original message really DID sound retarted...=p

Ronin_54 has a good point, and now I understand why I recieved so much criticism. At the time that I wrote that, I was recieveing about 5 hours of sleep each night (thats like half the amount of sleep I need lol). Even after I read people''s posts, I was half-asleep, and my original message still made sense to me lol. So, as a result of this, I''m going to take everyone''s advice and stop progress on my project until such time as that I have gathered more info on game design. Thanks to all for your *ahem* CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, and your suggestions. By now, none of you are probably going to read this, since it probably isnt on the first page of the board anymore, but I just had to get that off my chest =).

SSJ4_Flash

Ibanez    122
All I want to say is good on ya for giving it a go anyway. Odds are its not going to be the next Tetris/Pacman/etc. but give it a go, even if it is just for the sense of accomplishment. I think if you advertise in the right place you will find enough people to make a team, I mean everyone here programs for enjoyment right? Same with musicians, I know plenty of budding musos (myself included) who would not mind the chance of having their music feature on a game (no matter how lame), just for the experience (you think the game programming scene is hard to break into, try becoming a professional musician ).

Anway, just thought you might need some encouragement...

YodaTheCoder    122
Heres an Idea: Next time you come up with a good idea, why dont you do it your damn self? =)

This was a stupid question to ask ANYONE. If you want a programmer, go learn how to..

I hate when ppl come to forums and say
"Hi, I got this idea for a game, and I need someone to make it. Oh, by the way, I have no clue howto."

Its just...

Annoying..

~Jesse

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Lowell Manners    122
I appreciate your attitude about the whole thing, flash. If you would like a little direction on what to study, programming is definetly it. It''s almost impossible to sucessfully lead a project with out at least some basic knowlege of how programming works. As for where to start with learning programming. I recommend searching for information on QBASIC, which is the easiest programming langauge I know of. From there you can look into C, C++ etc. Oh, also check out the page in my signature.

--Lowell N. Manners
lowell@makevideogames.com
MakeVideoGames.com

Xsist10    122

Coder in transit HQ! :: Fear not fellow developers. We do believe that our help would be "helpful" in the development of this game.

I''ve got way to much time on my hands so :
1) Delphi, C++, Open GL knowledge
2) V.Limited modelling skills (snaps: www.gamedevelopment.8m.com)
3) Experienced (my articles: www.sagamedev.co.za/articles)

Xsist10@webmail.co.za

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Oh yeah Yoda? you ever get around to going to nehe''s site and figuring out how to texture map a poly? or are you still posting (for the 5th time) your request for someone to "tell" you how to do it?

Try not to be such a hipocrate

DmitryZ    122
I havnt been programming for 3 years, im only 17 going on 18, but i also want to make a game or somthing, but i''d rather learn everything i need to make the game. (i.e. learn 3d modelling, find out how a town system works (if this is a FF type game, then its a RPG, you should look into D&D, they have a few books on how to design towns, and what each town has to have.))

Learn a little bit of programming, find out how the structure works, and when you know somethign about programming, and designing a town, and a character, then you can probably ask for some help from people who would like to have their name on some game they made.

If you cant get the help you need, just work with the people you have, have each person learn a little of each others job. The modeller learns a bit about programming and town design. The programmer learns a little about 3d anime and artwork, and etc. This will probably help you work faster without having to have a lot of people... but then again, each person learning everything, might slow you down, and make people have brain farts. Who knows.

But then again, I have 0 experiance in game programming, and forgot everything i learned 3 years ago about BASIC VB and VC++, why listen to me right?

--------
Dmitry