What coding do you do outside of video games?

Started by
21 comments, last by Psilobe 11 years, 2 months ago

I do not develop games. However, most of my work falls in the following categories:

- theoretical and practical cryptography

- physically based ray tracing and lighting theory

- GPU-oriented development

I also occasionally did some minimal GUI design in the past.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement

I develop high frequency stock and derivative trading applications. Games is just a side/hobby project now. I used to make games full time but, unfortunatly the pay sucks.

I keep getting callls from recruiters and games companies but, I don't think there is anything that would convince me that it is worthwhile going back to working for a big games company ever again.

I don't do games for a living, mainly OCR and document recognition software. E.g. a company gets x-million invoices each year, we put them in their ERP system.

We do have many clients in healthcare so you do get an occasional glimpse at how they work. Once I got the chance to take a closer look at on of the hospitals automated picking and packaging systems (basically a room with robots that packages the medication for the stations and other customers).

Other game unrelated stuff I'm interested in at the moment: node.js, cryptography. And many things I have once started but never had enough time and/or motivation.

I work as a software developer for a contractor. Over the past couple of years I've worked on a document/spreadsheet/presentation software for Android, and now I'm working on the middleware of set top boxes.

All my game programming is done as a hobby when I have the time, but I gotta say that several things - like better code organization, debugging tools etc, which i currently use for personal game projects, were greatly influenced by my professional work.
I'm interested in compiler construction. I hand-rolled a lexer just for fun the other night and will probably hand-roll a parser to go with it at some point when I'm not preoccupied with something else.

Same interest here too. I've actually been able to use that knowledge in my day job too, developing a scripting language and vm for an automation application we used to use for several years.

I am an independent contractor in "whatever". I am currently developing a custom ERP and workflow management system for a small manufacturing company. I've also developed physical prototypes of devices that required real-time, embedded programming, stuff like simple synthesizers and polling devices. I have a bunch of personal projects in all kinds of spaces, from ORM to productivity and creativity inducement. I am generally of the opinion that, given enough leeway, I am capable of programming anything.

So i dont do too many games anymore. The last game I built was completely audio based, built on a microcontroller system, with an arcade joystick and buttons interface. Took a weekend. I try to stick to smaller personal projects now, because it helps my psyche to not have 100 open projects and no hope of every getting back to them.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I don't know if it counts as a tool for my game or not, but I created a tool to help writers by recording character names and letting them be tagged and filtered and searched.

GameDev.net kindly hosts it, and you can download it for free. I made it for my game's plot, but I also made it for my siblings working on non-game projects (one a manga and one a book).

I also made a tiling preview tool, more for game art - so I guess that's game related. I have designs for a Microsoft Word like application for Bible studies, but I don't currently have the time to work on it (it's a large project), so for now it's a paper design only.

Currently I'm also working on Android utility apps. In the past I have worked with Delphi a lot.

Like others, gamedev is a hobby for me, and one I increasingly don't have time for.

Professionally, I've worked on systems ranging from mainframes to embedded systems. Lots of enterprisey system stuff but also some pretty neat bits of tech along the way.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
I've been learning programing for about 4 years and just a few months working on my first game. I study medicine so some of my apps are related to it. I've made a small program useful for the diagnosis of acid-base disorders, another one takes a sequence of nucleotides and gives the possible genes that can be obtained from it and their respective aminoacid sequences.

All of my projects are small, and most of them don't even have a GUI. I've worked on them for learning purposes.

I hope I can make a software for medical training with a database of questions and answers of common diseases, but first I have to finish my game (And I'm not even close to it).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement