Lines of Coding Per Day

Started by
48 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 11 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

How many lines of code should an average professional game programmer be able to create with all other tasks such as maintaining or porting of existing code included in each day?

I have about 4 hours each day and six days per week for coding, so what is about the average amount of work that would be expected in this timeframe for a pro? ( I am at a snails pace, so don't ask about me! tongue.png )

It would be good to know for the sake of a goal to reach. Does anyone have a website link which gives these numbers?

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

there is no magic number, it really depends with how well versed you are in a particular subject that your writing code on, for example if i'm researching a new idea/concept, i might write at an upper most a hundred lines in a day(most likely far less), however if i'm starting a new project, and am just building the baseline code, i might crank out a few hundred lines in a single day, more so if i have a clear design of how to accomplish something. of course then their's debugging that code to make sure their arn't problems(which can sometimes take hours depending on the complexity of your project).

but again, and i can't stress this enough, their isn't a specific number, there's just what you are able to do with what your given, everyone has their own pace.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Lines of code is a very poor measurement tool for several reasons:

A) One line of code in one language at a higher level of abstraction might be worth twenty in another language.

B) A poor programmer might write 10 lines of code when 5 might suffice (not properly re-factoring into functions), or a poor programmer might write 5 lines of code when 10 would be better (example: skipping error checking).

C) A poor programmer might write 50 lines of code, and have to re-write it later because the first time it was done wrong. Does that mean he wrote 100 lines of code, despite only 50 ending up in the final project?

This is a bad metric to use as a goal. The focus should be on code quality: maintainability, legibility, efficiency and complexity of algorithms, and reduced bug counts. The random elements of programming like debugging, thinking about code design, and forming solutions, mean that the target is way too mobile day-to-day.

I would argue that you hit milestones and release products faster if you have higher quality, slower-written code than if you have incredibly verbose programmers who can hammer out LOC like crazy.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Lines of code is a very poor measurement tool for several reasons:

A) One line of code in one language at a higher level of abstraction might be worth twenty in another language.
B) A poor programmer might write 10 lines of code when 5 might suffice (not properly re-factoring into functions), or a poor programmer might write 5 lines of code when 10 would be better (example: skipping error checking).
C) A poor programmer might write 50 lines of code, and have to re-write it later because the first time it was done wrong. Does that mean he wrote 100 lines of code, despite only 50 ending up in the final project?

Even, I know those things, but I am looking for the average. Sorry that I don't know how to ask the question more clearly.

For the sake of the readers, thanks for posting.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This is a bad metric to use as a goal. The focus should be on code quality: maintainability, legibility, efficiency and complexity of algorithms, and reduced bug counts. The random elements of programming like debugging, thinking about code design, and forming solutions, mean that the target is way too mobile day-to-day.

I would argue that you hit milestones and release products faster if you have higher quality, slower-written code than if you have incredibly verbose programmers who can hammer out LOC like crazy.

Yes, I understand totally, but I am looking for an average kind of estimate.

I know that it is risky for a person here to stick the neck out and write an estimate of the average because of counter considerations.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

My mistake, I didn't see what user posted; ofcourse you already know that. laugh.png

Maybe a good way to actually measure would be using someone's source control, graph the dates and lines of code (relative to the final project's size) for each code submission. Even that would be a fairly inaccurate though.

I don't know how much I write on a daily basis - it varies too much on what I'm working on, as well as whether the parts I'm working on require longer build times by altering headers that effect more of the overall project, or whether the entire week is spent debugging various parts of the code without only a few lines of code getting written.

If I'm working on a bunch of helper functions or the shell of a new class I can easily reach >200 lines of code an hour, but if I'm working on finer implementation details that I need to keep debugging or really think through, it might be 20-30 lines of code an hour in between hours of no code being written. I don't have exact measurements to give, however. I've never recorded it or thought to do so.

[quote name='3Ddreamer' timestamp='1357851227' post='5020009']
I know that it is risky for a person here to stick the neck out and write an estimate of the average because of counter considerations.
[/quote]

That has nothing to do with it. It's not a useful metric, and doesn't actually represent skill or, well, anything if an average were calculated. You'll know you're writing good code when you're writing good code: solving more complex problems, spending less time redesigning, and reusing code with less hack-work to get it to play nice in a new role.

Entire commits can be done, representing very useful work, solving dozens of game-halting crash bugs, and the LOC of a project might change by +/- 10. People are trying to tell you that this isn't a way you should be measuring your progress, because it's a meaningless statistic.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

According to version control, I have on average written a negative number of lines per day.

This is mostly due to the fact that I joined an in-progress project, and spent quite a lot of time refactoring/rewriting areas of the project that were not up to scratch.

But my point is that a good developer tends to write vastly less code than a poor developer, while getting more done. Thus, lines of code is an awful metric of developer productivity or quality.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Okay, guys, I accept the experience of several coders here. It is a bad metric for gauging my progress. Given that sometimes we write few lines in a day, what is the most that you guys have written in a full work day - assuming good code with few or no bugs and little at most debugging/rewriting?

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement