Best language/library for my project?

Started by
1 comment, last by weeska 11 years, 3 months ago

Hey everyone, I'm new here so sorry if this should be under progamming (I wasn't sure).

I'm looking to start coding a new game project. I will have real-time 2D graphics, and some physics. (I'm looking at a side-scrolling concept, similar to Odin Sphere or Muramasa).

Looking around at reccomendations for languages, people seem to suggest using whatever you're comfortable with.

I'm familiar with:

Python (I've done some basic physics based games using pygame before).

Java (I know java as a language better than python, but I have no experience using it for games, and I'm not familiar with any game libraries.)

Ruby (My least familiar language, but I'm learning fast and I quite enjoy working with it. That said, I've heard it can be a major headache to create games due to some inefficiencies with garbage collection.)

Given the details of my project and my skillset, what language would you suggest I use for the new project? (If anyone could suggest a good library to work with that would be a welcome suggestion as well).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Looking around at reccomendations for languages, people seem to suggest using whatever you're comfortable with

This is generally pretty good advice, and since you appear to be most familiar with Python and pygame, that would be my suggestion. I've never used either myself, but from what I've seen, both are adequate for your needs.
What you have to ask yourself is, why you want suggestions when you already used pygame?

Are you just unsure if it fits your needs? Then we'd need more information to give you advices.

Do you "just" want to learn a new library? Then pick one and see if you get along with it. If you do, fine, if not, try to see what might be the reason. The first two libraries that come to my mind are sfml and sdl which have bindings for python and others as well.

This way you'll sooner or later have some knowledge about the libraries available, and can make decisions that fit your needs ;)

Another point to think about is if you "just" want to see the game implemented to actually play it, or if you want to improve your programming skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement