Sign in to follow this  

Omitting Normals -- Advice

This topic is 1829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm rewriting my model loader to support COLLADA, and I'm not sure how to handle vertex normals for lighting. I have all the shades and calculations working, but if I wanted to turn lighting off, I feel that it's wasting memory if I allocate and setup normals regardless. Especially if I'm updating my normals when lighting is OFF.

What are your opinions?

Edited by Vincent_M

So will lighting be off for the duration of an application or does a player enable/disable it at runtime via a light switch or something? If lighting will be off for the duration of an application then you'd just be wasting memory and time in sending that data to the GPU if you were to include them. So in that case I wouldn't include them. If it's a runtime thing (like a light swtich) then in my opinion it would be better to keep the normals around. That way you can take advantage of static buffers that perform better than dynamic buffers.

This topic is 1829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.