Game funding

Started by
24 comments, last by CGalyon 22 years, 5 months ago
Yeah I agree with Cliff. Just start making simple games first. Learn what makes a game fun and how to make those sales. There is no business I''ve heard of where people can start at the top. Everyone has to work their way up.

When ID Software started they were making platform games. Also they committed themselves to completing one game every 3 months.

If I see another team of 12 year olds asking for people to join their massively multiplayer 3D project I''m gonna scream!
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Davaris
If I see another team of 12 year olds asking for people to join their massively multiplayer 3D project I''m gonna scream!

Why don''t you just do it now and get it over with

-------------Ban KalvinB !
This is a pretty decent thread and it is intresting to see others view on this subject. So here is my two cents:

I am also in the process of starting a small company but it wont be until late next year before things actually get moving for me.

Currently I am good at the following:

1.Programming C/C++ DX & Windows
2.CG Graphics and Concept Art
3.Web Development
4.Story Development
5.Team Management (Day job is software development)

(It is possible to have multiple talents...I encourage it )

Anyway those things are find and good but its not enough. I would more or less like to focus on the programming and the artwork while finding team members to fullfil the long list of jobs that are required to complete a quality game.
Getting a team together requires alot of planning but once the planning is complete and you have a viable plan things will get rolling.
From my experience running a two mods I have found that if you put your heart and soul into a project people see that and its a little easier to attract talent and get people to buy into your vision (some of the time).
This leads me to my main point...yeah getting funding seems like the ultimate bitch but you can use things to your advantage. Remember that perception is reality and a good web presence says a whole hell of a lot. Plus your proably going to have to develop a demo with out pay and have it available on the web with a strong online community supporting your project.
IMHO if you can show that people want to play your game and its consider "hot" then you just may have a chance with a publisher cause those supporters equal potential buyers ....(example) successful half-life mods that have become games

Anyway, I have much respect for those of you who are stepping out trying to make it as small start ups. I take my hat off to you cause I will be there soon.

On the last note... the funniest this I read in this thread was this ......

quote:"EA even ask developers to put down a guarantee that the game will sell. If you do not make a target then you owe them another game. For free!"

EA is a bunch of rat bastards. I hope they rot in hell...

My God I couldnt stop laughing at that.... my side hurt...

Morpheus

http://www.aka-morpheus.com

If my compiler was voice activated with the voice of my mother-in-law....there would be no errors!

Edited by - a_insomniac on October 29, 2001 7:31:44 AM

Edited by - a_insomniac on October 29, 2001 7:33:00 AM

----------

I''d say just do it, even if you can''t find anybody to help. Don''t let a lack of people (publishers, team members, friends, whoever) stop you from creating your dream. You may not be able to create a super duper blockbuster, but at least create a game. Just a fun game. I am what you may call a bedroom / garage developer. I''m doing the art, programming, some sounds (trying to get my brother to help with the music) and all I have is a check list of what''s needed in my game. It''s in alpha and almost ready for beta/demo. Sure it''s been a while, one of those off and on again things, but I am determined. I use a downloaded engine so I don''t have to spend $100,000 for it. I work on it nights and weekends and it is truly coming along. I can see it being ready for Christmas. It''ll be a download game, so no cost for printing and packaging. I''ll have one finalized game under my belt, ready for the next one. If a publisher wants to jump on my bandwagon, he or she is welcome. If not, I will continue to do what I enjoy, publisher or no publisher. The opportunities are too varied and numerous to worry about it.
Creative Mind, Creative Design
In my previous post - I didn''t mean that you should start off with something BIG...

This is what I meant...
As a programmer or artist you tend to go blind by considering a game something that is programmed or drawn - It is of course not - A game is a set of rules and a goal - basically.
Therefore, making a game is actually writing down the rules and the goal.
Programming and drawing is nothing more than making a GUI for that game.

What it comes down to is.
You can get very proffesional writing done by students that take a writerclass.
You can get video and music from the Mediastudents.
You could of course get free food from the local resturant school - if that is a main concern.
What you CAN''T get is more time and funds to have a programmer or artist full time for even a couple of weeks - and that is needed if you are about to make a advanced GUI.

You might consider keeping the GUI simple and the game complex
Also - have a PRODUCER of some kind, someone in charge that can handle it.

Just a thought - do it your way.
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
i like games, i make games, 3 d shooters like 2 d and rpgs fun fun. i program them dyrekedecks 3 d, then play them. so much fun

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement