MMO Limit number of accounts

Started by
26 comments, last by rpiller 11 years, 3 months ago

That's good to know. I'll have to look at various payment processing companies.

Advertisement

Instead of forcing the players to only have one account by using complicated means that can also limit players who do only have one account, try instead to make the idea of one account highly attractive. A game I once played had a system that used your account age for unlocking different things. The age went up every time you logged in and participated in the game. It wasn't perfect, but it's a start.

Maybe earning points for each action you do in game, like daily quests. Or just logging on, or for a variety of things that are attractive to players

Players could unlock special customization's on their profile, certain clothing, raise limits(like extra credit cards), etc. Nothing game breaking, but beneficial.

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

Well, I'm on the "If they pay for the accounts they deserve to do what they want with the money" side, but. If it's about resource gathering, is there a reason player can't either start with no money and earn it by selling resources to an NPC (who might buy a limited amount if you want to cap how much currency the player can have) or produce currency by mining gold or whatever your currency is made out of? If you're giving the player currency at the beginning I assume you intend them to be able to spend it on something near the beginning; if they are spending it on starting supplies from an NPC, you could open the transaction with the NPC for them, give them the money (or fake starter money which isn't actually part of the game's currency system), make them make all their purchases before they can exit out of the transaction, then have a mechanism where any money they don't spend on starting supplies is forfeited; thus leaving none to be sent to another account. Also, isn't the player going to have opportunities to earn more currency as the game progresses? I would think the best way to discourage people from making extra accounts just for the starting money would be to make the starting money small comparable to what they can earn at higher levels on the same character. People want to get the most money with the least work, that's a given, so you should make the earning potential of one account with a regular input of time be as high or higher than a new account, and people won't have a reason to make new accounts.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

@sunandshadow The main point of the game is to be 100% player driven. There are no NPC's outside of animals. So because there are no NPC's there is "no money out of thin" air concept that most MMORPG's have. It's meant to be a zero sum game where the starting money each player gets * the number of players is all the money in circulation on that server. Now there is a "government" concept (me) which can play with that idea some in creative ways (random treasure chests with money in them or lottery for example) if I see things getting "out of hand", but it won't favor anyone. It'll be totally random.

I know players will try to cheat, but I think if I make it clear up front the intentions of the game and that cheaters will be punished, and I have stats to find said cheaters I think I'll be good.

Well, I'm on the "If they pay for the accounts they deserve to do what they want with the money" side, but.

If expectations are set up front that multiple accounts are not to pool money for an advantage, then I think players will respect that. Some will cheat but the expectation is set and so they have no ground to stand on when caught cheating. I created the game to be played a certain way and it's of no fault of the game design that the world we live in today can't effectively accommodate that, so I openly ask the community to play in said fashion. In fact I will probably make the cheaters currency go into a lottery which will give an incentive for people to report cheaters. At some level have the community police itself (but still have the data to back it up). This isn't much different than a game of dungeons and dragons. Not much in rules stops me from just "cheating" and being totally ridiculous in some of these games. It's the people who want to play fair that stop the cheating. I think it's the same people who want to shape a video game world in a fair way.

@Dasha I'll have to think about this. Starting with money however changes lots of things and I have to think differently. They won't start out with an insane amount of money, but it has to be high enough to purchase some land, and some things to meet their needs right away. If I give them access to more things it'll have to require money, because the entire game revolves around money really, and that'll just mean they make more characters to get their starting funds and give it to their main in creative ways (as there will be no direct money transfer without goods or contract/service being performed.).

Didnt you write you put out all money the government earns out as random treasures? Why not let new people make their first money from treasure hunting then?

Or really, why cant you just give each new player a government granted first plot of land to make his first money out of when you would put the money from buying it back into the game anyway?

Are there other immediate needs like game characters starving without food? Then let new people not get hungry for a reasonable time period?

If the starting money is simply for buying land and other start up things, why not un-tradable deeds that can be redeemed only for property at or under a certain amount. Then that specific property can not be sold, only abandoned. The same thing with other supplies. That can help reduce the amount of starting money at least.

My current game: MMORPGRTSFPSRLG. Read: Some sort of mmorpg with a special something that will make everyone want to play but I wont tell you what it is.

Team Openings: None

For serious though, my goal is to create a MMO. What kind? Not sure yet. MMO games are my passion and it's a goal of mine to change the industry for the better. Do I know it's an unrealistic goal? Yes. Do I care? Heck no.

If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, feel free to contact me.

--------------------------Hail New^Internet

@wintertime Hunger and Thirst are the immediate needs yes. The time period of these needs are critical to the economy. If they are too slow then the food market becomes meaningless (and it's a big part of the game). As a side note this doesn't mean players spend all their time eating & drinking. It's more like, have food in your inventory and it'll be automatically taken out at a given time rate depending on activity (decently fast so as to require players to care and make a thriving food market).

Treasure hunting isn't really the name of the game, it's more of a nice surprise and a way to have the government put the money it gets from land sales back into the economy, and they would also run into need issues if they went hunting right away.

Even if I give them land at first, without money there is none to be made. There are no NPC's. Money doesn't come out of thin air like in other MMORPG's. Somebody has to have money in order for them to buy goods from someone. The goal & design of 0 NPC's means players have to have the money.

The only other way to explore would be to give players enough food & water to last so many playing hours and then after that they are given the money they would normally get at the start. This way people have to play the character for so long before they get any money. This means at the very start of a new server there is no money at all. I would have to think about the affect of this and how players could still interact while in this stage. I don't want to give government land because then it's a set size and I want variety in the game, but without giving them this they would have no land. You can only gather resources if you have land. I wonder if the first x amount of players could get money when they start to get things going, but then new players would have to do the playable hours to get money. I feel like that might not be fair.

If the starting money is simply for buying land and other start up things

The money exists to be in circulation for the economy. What people do with it is up to them. Someone could make apartments so that some players can meet their shelter need cheaper than buying land and spend their money on other things. The money just needs to exist to keep the economy going round and round. Each player can only do so much for so many needs and will have to buy the other things for their other needs. So you farm corn and take some and sell the rest so you can buy meat. That person that bought from you had a cattle ranch and took some meat and sold the rest to buy corn from you, and round and round we go. Money is needed for all of this as trade is just to hard and players won't accept it for an extended period of time just as in our society we picked currency over trading goods.

@sunandshadow The main point of the game is to be 100% player driven. There are no NPC's outside of animals. So because there are no NPC's there is "no money out of thin" air concept that most MMORPG's have. It's meant to be a zero sum game where the starting money each player gets * the number of players is all the money in circulation on that server.

Okay, but, why do the players even want money then? Why would I accept it as currency from another player (instead of demanding some kind of goods as a barter) if I can't turn around and spend it somewhere?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Okay, but, why do the players even want money then? Why would I accept it as currency from another player (instead of demanding some kind of goods as a barter) if I can't turn around and spend it somewhere?

?? You can spend it anywhere you like, as long as you aren't clearly pooling it with other characters. That and you don't have any other choice. Goods can only be bought/sold with money. There is no trading of goods, only goods for money. Players can't give goods to each other in any way but a "contract" that says these goods for this amount of money, OR via a marketplace which is the same thing but an automatic "contract" that doesn't require players making manually. The player contract way is sort of a pain so it'll speed up the development of people making marketplaces to make buying/selling easier.

Making a "contract" manually isn't hard, but you have to seek people out that have what you want and then negotiate a price. That's a pain, and it's just easier for sellers to put up goods on a marketplace and buyers to search and buy there. The manual way would be to get near another player, and right click them and select Buy Goods or Sell Goods, which opens up the dialog where you or them can put money and the other puts the goods. There is no way to trade goods directly. The game doesn't allow it. That's why money is important.

I didnt say you have to have all people not have those food needs, just newly created ones for the starting time. For example when you know a starting player would normally need 1 hour of playtime to gather enough gold to start paying its normal needs continuously you can give them a bit more leeway like 2 hours where the normal timers start ticking, their youthful power wears off so they begin getting hungry and their "nontradable new player slowproducing any type of use tool" falls apart and they from then on need to buy their pickaxe, hammer, whatever normally from the market.
That also helps starting off the very first players on your server when theres that chicken-egg-problem that noone can produce anything cause noone sells anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement