[solved]Errors: a little bit of php/sql?

Started by
1 comment, last by JinixVomitorium 11 years, 3 months ago
$sql=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM player WHERE player_name=".$POST['char_name']."");
if( mysql_num_rows($sql) == 0 ) {
$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO player(account_id, player_name) VALUES(".$_SESSION['id'].", ".$_POST['char_name']." ) " ) or die (mysql_error() );
exit();
} else {
echo 'Character Name is taken, please try another...';
}
Im getting these errors:
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in/www/zymichost.com/g/a/l/galaxy-star-games/htdocs/play.php on line 9
Unknown column 'vortex' in 'field list'
Im not too sure the sql query is correct, i get confused when combining the string and such with different quotations. Unknown column i believe is referring to the insert of $_POST['player_name'] but not sure.
if anyone can shed some light on these errors, i would be appreciated!

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

Advertisement

The value you query has to be in quotes. Your query currently expands to SELECT * FROM player WHERE player_name=vortex (from what I understand from the error, the posted character name expands to vortex; if not, just pretend it is for the sake of the example), and so the query searches the table for rows where the player_name field has the same value as the vortex field.

What you want is quotes around the character name so it expands to a string and not a field name in the query.

$sql=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM player WHERE player_name='$POST[char_name]'");

But you should also strongly consider sanitizing the input and not just stick it directly from an untrusted user's browser into the query string; clicky. Check out mysql_escape_string(), or even better: prepared statements.

Thanks, I will use that in the future. I actually went back and assigned the form values to variables to make it easier, and stripped it of all non valid characters, I just wanted to get it working before adding protection to sql injection. Thank you again! :)

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement