Your reaction to Crysis 3?

Started by
28 comments, last by mrheisenberg 11 years, 2 months ago

">
at first I really thought they would just do the same as Crysis 2 - very low poly models,low res textures to compensate for the fancy lighting effects,but it seems that Crysis 3 is bringing the CryENGINE to it's full potential,I mean this stuff is incredible,at some points it's hard to believe this is real-time...
Advertisement
*shrug* Nice tech demo. Maybe someday someone will make a game with that engine. Nothing special about the graphics. It's standard issue stuff that targets top of the line hardware.

The Crysis games make me think of when Unreal was new. It was all about the engine, and nothing about the actual game content was good. Especially the first level of the game, which was set up as a series of rooms that were tech demos for engine features.

I'm all out of fcks to give for Crytek.

I'm sure they have some very talented programmers and artists but the whole "making a game" thing, and the kind of Company - Customer relationship they (don't) have going on, well, no thanks.

I'm looking forward to await pleasantly for other games from nicer developers instead of being dissapointed again and again.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

o_o I guess I can also add to the anti-crytek vibe:they bought a studio where I knew some guys(Black Sea Studios) that made the awesome(for its time) game Knights of Honor,but I lost touch a while ago and the studio hasn't made a game since...infact a Knights of Honor sequel was planned and it would have been epic...

P.S. imagine if you were Cevat(Crytek CEO) and you could lead the Crytek developers,I'd tell them to focus on character destruction and allow players to shoot bullet holes in each-other and bleed *dreams away*

o_o I guess I can also add to the anti-crytek vibe:they bought a studio where I knew some guys(Black Sea Studios) that made the awesome(for its time) game Knights of Honor,but I lost touch a while ago and the studio hasn't made a game since...infact a Knights of Honor sequel was planned and it would have been epic...

P.S. imagine if you were Cevat(Crytek CEO) and you could lead the Crytek developers,I'd tell them to focus on character destruction and allow players to shoot bullet holes in each-other and bleed *dreams away*

Shoot holes trough one another? Is that your definition of improved gameplay? Knights of Honor must have been great...

I didn't like the art or gameplay style of Far Cry or any of the Crysis parts. Sure they always try to produce something technical advance, but that's all there is.

They don't offer a good story or great gameplay.

I don't even remember what happened in any part of it, I do remember tropical islands, mutant, koreans, ice as well as aliens. None of them where particular impressive. They try to do hightech but in the end, their worlds are sterile (a bit like one would describe the world of Portal directly after it was build).

And maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like the nano-suite. Is there anything else that is particullary innovative?

Sure unreal was also a strange mix of scifi, medival, industrial and alien elements. But somehow it impressed me more, I replayed it many times, something I never did with any crytek game.

Maybe it was because I was younger and crytek is just targetting other players than me.

Shoot holes trough one another? Is that your definition of improved gameplay? Knights of Honor must have been great...

Uhh, dense much? I think he means have a bullet that perforates one player, killing him (possibly triggering a slow and frustrating bleed-out death) while the bullet keeps going to hit another player or something else. Not really difficult to implement as a gameplay mechanic (how hard can it be) but the graphics part might be challenging.

Because shooting an electromagnetically propulsed bullet for it to be utterly stopped when it hits some dude's unarmored chest just doesn't cut it. Come on, we're not asking for an intricate simulation of the bullet's path through flesh and ribs, but some credibility! Plus you could line up awesome combos that way - good for stealth mechanics.

I mean, obviously you wouldn't do that for every weapon, that would be insane, but, for instance, the gauss rifle was really underwhelming in Crysis 1, at least to me. I was expecting a devastating weapon (that could even damage tanks and stuff) when I first picked it up, but it was just some underpowered sniper rifle.

I personally liked the nanosuit, because it's self-contained, but the energy mechanic is a bit crap, and kind of undermines the whole concept IMHO.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I suppose I am one of the few who found the Crysis and Far Cry games actually quite fun to play. I'm still on Far Cry 3 right now but playing through the game with just a bow has made for quite a challenge to maintain stealth. I've actually been more disappointed by a lot of the other mega-budget AAA blockbusters by comparison (like the Modern Warfare games.. ugh). Though I am more of a casual gamer who hops on single player to get my mind off of work.

I enjoyed Far Cry 1 - enough to beat it's excessively long and repetitive hours of gameplay at the end of the game, and Far Cry 2 - I put in about 15 before I got bored, but it was a great 15 hours and totally worth the purchase.

I didn't particularly like Crysis 1 - I just couldn't get into it. The controls felt wonky, but that was because I'm not used to (modern day) over-the-shoulder camera controls.

I suppose I am one of the few who found the Crysis and Far Cry games actually quite fun to play. I'm still on Far Cry 3 right now but playing through the game with just a bow has made for quite a challenge to maintain stealth. I've actually been more disappointed by a lot of the other mega-budget AAA blockbusters by comparison (like the Modern Warfare games.. ugh). Though I am more of a casual gamer who hops on single player to get my mind off of work.

I didn't finish either of the Crysis games, but I've played all of the Far Cry games to completion. I enjoy them much more than the rails shooters that most modern FPS have become.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement