Kingdom Empires - A Game Idea

Started by
32 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 3 months ago

while a 80% iron 20% carbon should yield a stronger alloy

You'll need to work on your numbers, steel is typically 95% iron and about 0.5% carbon and the rest fillers of other metals to help with other issues, like protecting from rust or oxidation, keeping an edge, making stronger, etc...

Yeah, I'm not a blacksmith, I have some knowledge of alloys due to my experience in chemistry, but not that much, Besides, I'm writing more as an example of what can be done, not necessarily to use the exact numbers I posted in your (Leikaru's) game.

but that goes back to my previous post. Carbon is cheap, easy to get, and used in such small quantities, that you really wouldn't notice. It seems more like a feature upgrade, that you could focus on improving alloys, and express to the user which direction you are going in. but ultimately, it is a minor part of the game.

Perhaps you could still do this, but essentially just upgrade your mining stations to extract the new materials you need, but when very little is required, it should receive the same amount of attention.

You do make a good point - some common things, like carbon, should not be resources, I don't think I quite suggested that.

This can be done in a different way btw - not in terms of making some counter of supplies go up on your screen.
It's not quite the same, but in the Settlers VI (the only one i've really played out of the series) you had a lot of 'resources' (not just minerals) to gather.
There was wood, stone, iron, deer, honey, milk, fish, wool, wheat (that's 9 of them btw smile.png ) - which then got transformed on a one to one basis (by npcs moving back and forth) into secondary resources - sausage, smoked fish, soap, brooms, swords, mead, bread, banners, and a few others i think that I can't remember.

All of these resources were produced by individual houses rather than just having them gathered or transformed (by a baker, smoker, sausage maker, broom maker) etc.

It was more of a city building game than a RTS in a sense, and it did focus on resource management probably above all else. It had a very simplistic military in some ways.

Well, anyway, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just giving another example of how lots of resources was done. I'm not actually trying to build one of these games, btw... just found this interesting.

By OP's (Leikaru's) description, I'm not sure if what he meant is at all similar to what I described, because as you said, his description is very vague.

Edit: By the way, I don't know why the Civilization series wasn't the first one that came to mind when you said ''more than 8 resources". While in Civ 4/5 they are not mandatory for victory, they are certainly very useful for both military and trade. Also, if you've ever played Empire Earth II - it has Food, Wood, Gold and Stone, and while not necessary during all other epoch, there's also tin, saltpeter, iron, oil and Uranium.

Advertisement

while a 80% iron 20% carbon should yield a stronger alloy

You'll need to work on your numbers, steel is typically 95% iron and about 0.5% carbon and the rest fillers of other metals to help with other issues, like protecting from rust or oxidation, keeping an edge, making stronger, etc...

Yeah, I'm not a blacksmith, I have some knowledge of alloys due to my experience in chemistry, but not that much, Besides, I'm writing more as an example of what can be done, not necessarily to use the exact numbers I posted in your (Leikaru's) game.

but that goes back to my previous post. Carbon is cheap, easy to get, and used in such small quantities, that you really wouldn't notice. It seems more like a feature upgrade, that you could focus on improving alloys, and express to the user which direction you are going in. but ultimately, it is a minor part of the game.

Perhaps you could still do this, but essentially just upgrade your mining stations to extract the new materials you need, but when very little is required, it should receive the same amount of attention.

You do make a good point - some common things, like carbon, should not be resources, I don't think I quite suggested that.

This can be done in a different way btw - not in terms of making some counter of supplies go up on your screen.
It's not quite the same, but in the Settlers VI (the only one i've really played out of the series) you had a lot of 'resources' (not just minerals) to gather.
There was wood, stone, iron, deer, honey, milk, fish, wool, wheat (that's 9 of them btw smile.png ) - which then got transformed on a one to one basis (by npcs moving back and forth) into secondary resources - sausage, smoked fish, soap, brooms, swords, mead, bread, banners, and a few others i think that I can't remember.

All of these resources were produced by individual houses rather than just having them gathered or transformed (by a baker, smoker, sausage maker, broom maker) etc.

It was more of a city building game than a RTS in a sense, and it did focus on resource management probably above all else. It had a very simplistic military in some ways.

Well, anyway, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just giving another example of how lots of resources was done. I'm not actually trying to build one of these games, btw... just found this interesting.

By OP's (Leikaru's) description, I'm not sure if what he meant is at all similar to what I described, because as you said, his description is very vague.

Edit: By the way, I don't know why the Civilization series wasn't the first one that came to mind when you said ''more than 8 resources". While in Civ 4/5 they are not mandatory for victory, they are certainly very useful for both military and trade. Also, if you've ever played Empire Earth II - it has Food, Wood, Gold and Stone, and while not necessary during all other epoch, there's also tin, saltpeter, iron, oil and Uranium.

Right, so, I am going to add more of a description, but as an early idea, and not a developed game, I'm still working on all the full features of it. This game will have many, many resources, possibly over 300-500. Also, these days, quite a few games have more than 8 resources. I will be updating the post with far more details, and am currently making a Resource List, and an Equipment, Building and Monster List. The Resource List will be up in about a week.

Also, I would like to add that ores are the most important resource in the game. You have to find them, otherwise you aren't going to do very good.

As A Beginning Developer, please don't expect much from me.

[background='Grey']I'm planning a game to make. Want details? Hmm, maybe later.[/background]

some common things, like carbon, should not be resources, I don't think I quite suggested that.

There was wood, stone, iron, deer, honey, milk, fish, wool, wheat (that's 9 of them btw ) - which then got transformed on a one to one basis (by npcs moving back and forth) into secondary resources - sausage, smoked fish, soap, brooms, swords, mead, bread, banners, and a few others i think that I can't remember.

ok, so when your talking about resources, your not just talking about Iron, Wood, Stone, etc. but you are also including things like Swords, Armor, Bricks, etc... Then that makes more sense to me.

So what I would ask next, relates to a point of confusion I have; how does "finding law breakers" play out in this game that seems already heavily focused on resources. I'm not saying it can't be done, or can't be done well. But this does seem two different directions for the game. What did you have in mind for the game play mechanic of this, and does it tie into the resource management portion?

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

some common things, like carbon, should not be resources, I don't think I quite suggested that.

There was wood, stone, iron, deer, honey, milk, fish, wool, wheat (that's 9 of them btw ) - which then got transformed on a one to one basis (by npcs moving back and forth) into secondary resources - sausage, smoked fish, soap, brooms, swords, mead, bread, banners, and a few others i think that I can't remember.

ok, so when your talking about resources, your not just talking about Iron, Wood, Stone, etc. but you are also including things like Swords, Armor, Bricks, etc... Then that makes more sense to me.

So what I would ask next, relates to a point of confusion I have; resource management appears to be a strong component of this, but then you also mentioned "Make laws and find law breakers". Presuming that making laws is more like getting the option to activate laws, how ever they are presented, how does "finding law breakers" play out in this game that seems already heavily focused on resources. I'm not saying it can't be done, or can't be done well. But this does seem two different directions. What did you have in mind for the game play style of this? how does this game mechanic work?

Actually, I don't. Y'see, Swords, Armour etc. actually count as equipment. This game is focused on ruling a successful empire. It is a completely unique game style, probably not done before. You use the laws wisely, then law-breakers can be caught by either yourself or guards. Basically, every so often, a person spawns, outside of view. When spawned, the code chooses a random value, which makes sure that one in one-hundred are criminals. You may think that's not a lot, but you may have a large kingdom of millions eventually. Trust me, it can be done. It's not too difficult, just implements laws. After all, if a kingdom doesn't have laws, then you might find a stripping man on the street the next day (you can actually make that illegal).

[background='Grey']I'm planning a game to make. Want details? Hmm, maybe later.[/background]

This game is focused on ruling a successful empire. It is a completely unique game style, probably not done before. You use the laws wisely, then law-breakers can be caught by either yourself or guards. Basically, every so often, a person spawns, outside of view. When spawned, the code chooses a random value, which makes sure that one in one-hundred are criminals. You may think that's not a lot, but you may have a large kingdom of millions eventually. Trust me, it can be done. It's not too difficult, just implements laws. After all, if a kingdom doesn't have laws, then you might find a stripping man on the street the next day (you can actually make that illegal).
ok, so then this has the appearance of an MMO RPG, with thousands of NPC's running around in your city. and then, these characters would get additional animations for acts of crime. You see it happen, and then get the option to decree that illegal. Then the laws you make, and what people can and cannot do might affect resources as well. I.e. Carriages are racing through the street, accidents are happening, so you decree a law enforcing no horse galloping within city limits. But then perhaps you see issues where business starts to reduce because "rush" orders can't be made. occasionally someone will still go to a gallop in town, and it will be your job, along with guards you station to capture these criminals.

Let me know if I'm still off in this...

So my next question has to do with perspective of how you, the player, capture criminals. I would presume that the guards just capture and haul people in on occasion. but that for you, you would see it, and then what?

) you become a guard like character chasing after the criminal in a 3D foot race.
) similar, but more like a side scroller?
) simply have to click to capture, but the criminal weaves through a crowd making it tough, until they can get to a safe spot, like a sewer grate or gets out of the city.

How do you envision the mechanic of the game play for identifying and capturing the criminal?

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

This game is focused on ruling a successful empire. It is a completely unique game style, probably not done before. You use the laws wisely, then law-breakers can be caught by either yourself or guards. Basically, every so often, a person spawns, outside of view. When spawned, the code chooses a random value, which makes sure that one in one-hundred are criminals. You may think that's not a lot, but you may have a large kingdom of millions eventually. Trust me, it can be done. It's not too difficult, just implements laws. After all, if a kingdom doesn't have laws, then you might find a stripping man on the street the next day (you can actually make that illegal).

ok, so then this has the appearance of an MMO RPG, with thousands of NPC's running around in your city. and then, these characters would get additional animations for acts of crime. You see it happen, and then get the option to decree that illegal. Then the laws you make, and what people can and cannot do might affect resources as well. I.e. Carriages are racing through the street, accidents are happening, so you decree a law enforcing no horse galloping within city limits. But then perhaps you see issues where business starts to reduce because "rush" orders can't be made. occasionally someone will still go to a gallop in town, and it will be your job, along with guards you station to capture these criminals.

Let me know if I'm still off in this...

So my next question has to do with perspective of how you, the player, capture criminals. I would presume that the guards just capture and haul people in on occasion. but that for you, you would see it, and then what?

) you become a guard like character chasing after the criminal in a 3D race.

) similar, but more like a side scroller?

) simply have to click to capture, but the criminal weaves through a crowd making it tough, until they can get to a safe spot, like a sewer grate or gets out of the city.

How do you envision the mechanic of the game play for identifying and capturing the criminal?

You have completely got the idea of this game wrong if you a comparing it to an MMORPG. This has Multi-Player, but requires a server. It's really quite simple to capture criminals. Once a criminal has been caught, a message box will pop up if you are near that location. The guard will tell you you have caught a criminal, and then you choose to either let him off, or imprison him. Sometimes, if they haven't commited an incredibly bad crime, such as ones that can't be changes, then you have the option to let them off, otherwise, it's to the jail with him.

So what I would ask next, relates to a point of confusion I have; how does "finding law breakers" play out in this game that seems already heavily focused on resources. I'm not saying it can't be done, or can't be done well. But this does seem two different directions for the game. What did you have in mind for the game play mechanic of this, and does it tie into the resource management portion?

hpdvs2, I don't know if the original poster - Leikaru - was talking about things besides basic stuff like iron wood and stone. You almost make that post sound like I was the one who had posted the original idea - I hope you know I was just expanding on this topic since it's mildly interesting, and I'm not really trying to reinterpret what Leikaru meant, since I also am not sure.

On that note, having 300-500 resources is just ridiculous in my opinion. Even Civ V had only around 30 I think, and I never ever could keep track of them.

To Leikrau - you really should give far more specific mechanics about how some of the things you described are supposed to work. This is what hpdvs2 was saying in the first place, and it's a good idea. I just jumped in cause I've played games with lots of resources :)

hpdvs2, I don't know if the original poster - Leikaru - was talking about things besides basic stuff like iron wood and stone. You almost make that post sound like I was the one who had posted the original idea - I hope you know I was just expanding on this topic since it's mildly interesting, and I'm not really trying to reinterpret what Leikaru meant, since I also am not sure.

On that note, having 300-500 resources is just ridiculous in my opinion. Even Civ V had only around 30 I think, and I never ever could keep track of them.

To Leikrau - you really should give far more specific mechanics about how some of the things you described are supposed to work. This is what hpdvs2 was saying in the first place, and it's a good idea. I just jumped in cause I've played games with lots of resources smile.png

You see, these kind of posts get on my nerves, At one point, they are on your side, the next minute, they call a part of your game "ridiculous". Listen, to you it may be ridiculous, but the versatility in this game is phenomenal. Trust me, if you can't keep track of 30, don't worry, the 300-500 resources is NOT ridiculous. It's just an idea you've never hear of. Don't worry, I will give more details once I've finally decided how this game is going to work. Fully.

[quote name='Leikaru' timestamp='1358183204' post='5021459']
You see, these kind of posts get on my nerves, At one point, they are on your side, the next minute, they call a part of your game "ridiculous".
[/quote]

I can understand that. Word choices such as "ridiculous" is not very effective. Despite that, Milcho made a good point in it. He had trouble keeping track of 30 resources. It doesn't mean everyone will, but as the resource management of large numbers seems to be the common theme of issues people bring up with your design, it certainly is something to keep in mind. Ignore the ridiculous portions of the comments, but keep in mind the reality of what they are expressing. Most of us see clear issues with mass resource management.

Milcho's specific example was Civ V, and brought up that the resource management in that was tough. It would be wise to review how theirs worked, and make sure you have an approach that might simplify it a bit.

This isn't meant to be rude, but don't post things if you don't want them critiqued. People on your 'side' or not is not the point here. By side, it sounds like your implying that we like it, despite issues we see with it. Not all posts will be easy to take, but you should be posting here to find out if people have issues. You don't need to listen to them, but in many cases it is wise to.

All that being said, from someone posting with limited explanation, you should ask for clarification about what made it difficult.

so @Milcho, what was difficult about Civ V's resource management? And do you have any ideas as to what could make it easier. specifics would be useful here.

Thanks.

You see, these kind of posts get on my nerves, At one point, they are on your side, the next minute, they call a part of your game "ridiculous".

I can understand that. Word choices such as "ridiculous" is not very effective. Despite that, Milcho made a good point in it. He had trouble keeping track of 30 resources. It doesn't mean everyone will, but as the resource management of large numbers seems to be the common theme of issues people bring up with your design, it certainly is something to keep in mind. Ignore the ridiculous portions of the comments, but keep in mind the reality of what they are expressing. Most of us see clear issues with mass resource management.

Milcho's specific example was Civ V, and brought up that the resource management in that was tough. It would be wise to review how theirs worked, and make sure you have an approach that might simplify it a bit.

This isn't meant to be rude, but don't post things if you don't want them critiqued. People on your 'side' or not is not the point here. By side, it sounds like your implying that we like it, despite issues we see with it. Not all posts will be easy to take, but you should be posting here to find out if people have issues. You don't need to listen to them, but in many cases it is wise to.

All that being said, from someone posting with limited explanation, you should ask for clarification about what made it difficult.

so @Milcho, what was difficult about Civ V's resource management? And do you have any ideas as to what could make it easier. specifics would be useful here.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I can take criticism, thank you very much, and I don't presume you like the idea of the game at all. Who would? I'm just making a point, if you don't like the idea of a game, then why post on it? It's not your game, so the maker won't make it a game for you. If they don't like the idea of several hundred resources, so be it, there won't be near that many on the first test, so you can get used to the critical resources, and then move on to the more advanced ones. Yes, you may see issues with it, it just takes a little part of the brain. It doesn't ask you to remember what they are at all, after all, you aren't mining it, the miners are. And you aren't chopping it, the Wood-cutters are. It's not too bad.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement