Losing interest in game development...

Started by
29 comments, last by pinebanana 11 years, 3 months ago

This feeling is normal. Complete something to be proud of yourself, this just happens when you see your projects working.

You are young, don't think you are failling. The great things come with time.

Advertisement

[quote name='pinebanana' timestamp='1358068652' post='5021024']
Has anyone ever felt some-what of what I'm feeling? Does anyone have advice for me? Should I be in such a rush to get things done at my my age? Or Should I just give up, and move onto something else? Such as: programming applications with Qt, web programming, or perhaps security penetration testing (i.e. ethical hacking), or whatever else. I'm just not sure what I want to do when I'm actually a programmer, I love low-level stuff, but I'm not sure.
[/quote]

Are you into modding commercial games? With games like GTA4 you can even write mods in C#, maybe something like that will help get your interest back.

Do you have any programming buddies?

Do you post stuff on github for other developers to play with?

The key here is to get other people using your stuff. You'll end up finishing and polishing up your work (Ideally), because other people will be using it.

My problem with what stuff to finish is almost the opposite. I know how to make simple games, have made Pong, Snake and a really simple shmup, but I really wish I can come up with more original game mechanics. Plus I prefer to work more on the "inner" workings of a game, especially graphics engines. I am in the process of making a 3D engine, but I don't know how I feel about using it for just a fancy 3D Snake or shmup if you get what I mean. I don't want to finish most games I start simply because I don't find them novel enough.

Maybe as game developers we sometimes force ourselves too much to be good game designers, even though it's not always necessary to be one. If I release a game to the public, I personally think that I'm expected to make a very fun game, even though I can't come up with many original game ideas.

Currently I am making a puzzle game clone, and in fact I will incorporate the 3D engine in some way, even if it's just something not directly important to the game, like providing backgrounds. Still, it's a clone of an existing game. But I think I could finish it this time, because I am incorporating the graphics engine (something I am putting more effort in), into the game for the sake of a more complete, polished product. It's turning out to be a good challenge, because I can see a real world application of the engine instead of being just a show piece. I am figuring out how to make it more adaptable for this game in particular and how to load it as a library without a fuss.

Basically, my graphics engine is my main passion, and now I am encouraging myself put it to work in a real-world situation. It will help me get through making this game from start to finish, even if the concept has been done many times before.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

I know I'm leaving half of the stuff out that I could put it in and that annoys me, e.g. texture options (whether to clamp or repeat the texture) or abstracting OpenGL specific stuff (such as Texture classes w/o GLuint directly in them, more data oriented of a design). I REALISE that I could use another engine, like Ogre3D, or whatever, but whenever I do try to use it, I just hate the way that it enforces you to do things their way (plus I find it somewhat awkward programming with someone else's code, unless I've studied it and frameworks like Ogre3d takes awhile to study). But anyway, my game is 2D so I thought why not use OpenGL by itself (probably going to use legacy code because I haven't really learnt about shaders). Another thing, I've made my own entity system, which I know I can really improve but it just gets all out of hand when I try to.
The above indicates that you might be succumbing to the dark side. Don't succumb to the dark side.

Succumbing to the dark side involves slowly losing grip on software projects you are heavily emotionally invested in and leaving them in a constant unfinished state because you are too concerned with how much better your code could have been if only you had made this one decision at the very beginning, or if only you add this one clever feature to your low-level architecture and then refactor your entire codebase to use it.

You have to remember that code is never perfect. All code sucks. You can't let that stop you from writing it. This is what programming is.

[quote name='jwezorek' timestamp='1358188426' post='5021494']
You have to remember that code is never perfect. All code sucks. You can't let that stop you from writing it. This is what programming is.
[/quote]

Seconded. As well, I'd like to add my favorite concept, which keeps me motivated (and productive): "First make it work, then you can make it work better."

That first time it works, even if the algorithm is ugly, brute-force garbage, and the framerate is an ungodly 5 fps, is better than se- actually, no, I'd still rather have...anyway: it's an addictive high. It keeps you motivated, instead of almost completing it 5 times and never seeing anything for your work.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

This feeling is normal. Complete something to be proud of yourself, this just happens when you see your projects working.

You are young, don't think you are failling. The great things come with time.

Hopefully.

Seconded. As well, I'd like to add my favorite concept, which keeps me motivated (and productive): "First make it work, then you can make it work better."

That first time it works, even if the algorithm is ugly, brute-force garbage, and the framerate is an ungodly 5 fps, is better than se- actually, no, I'd still rather have...anyway: it's an addictive high. It keeps you motivated, instead of almost completing it 5 times and never seeing anything for your work.

Great advice actually, makes me want to code, plan or something. But... gotta do the homework.

I know I'm leaving half of the stuff out that I could put it in and that annoys me, e.g. texture options (whether to clamp or repeat the texture) or abstracting OpenGL specific stuff (such as Texture classes w/o GLuint directly in them, more data oriented of a design). I REALISE that I could use another engine, like Ogre3D, or whatever, but whenever I do try to use it, I just hate the way that it enforces you to do things their way (plus I find it somewhat awkward programming with someone else's code, unless I've studied it and frameworks like Ogre3d takes awhile to study). But anyway, my game is 2D so I thought why not use OpenGL by itself (probably going to use legacy code because I haven't really learnt about shaders). Another thing, I've made my own entity system, which I know I can really improve but it just gets all out of hand when I try to.
The above indicates that you might be succumbing to the dark side. Don't succumb to the dark side.

Succumbing to the dark side involves slowly losing grip on software projects you are heavily emotionally invested in and leaving them in a constant unfinished state because you are too concerned with how much better your code could have been if only you had made this one decision at the very beginning, or if only you add this one clever feature to your low-level architecture and then refactor your entire codebase to use it.

Yeah I realise code is never perfect, but I just want to make my code perfect.

anax - An open source C++ entity system

[quote name='EmployeeNumber8' timestamp='1358176023' post='5021412']
[/quote]

Actually, EmployeeNumber8 makes an awesome point. I'm noticing that my productivity and motivation stay at much higher average levels from working in a team - I also have a bunch of other gamedevs on twitter and we keep each other on track. You can lone-wolf it if you desire, but you'll be thankful for at least a little bit of a support network. Helps to wave off the depression...

Actually, EmployeeNumber8 makes an awesome point. I'm noticing that my productivity and motivation stay at much higher average levels from working in a team - I also have a bunch of other gamedevs on twitter and we keep each other on track. You can lone-wolf it if you desire, but you'll be thankful for at least a little bit of a support network. Helps to wave off the depression...

Ah I wish I had a programming buddy. But, I'm currently making a game at the moment and I have an artist (which hopefully wont bail).

anax - An open source C++ entity system

We have all experienced feelings such as yours before. At this very moment, I am angered with the level of obfuscation that seems to have arisen in my networking codebase. So, I am removing it. From the ground up. A good point was raised earlier that one should try and refactor wherever possible. Yet, coming at this from the other direction, sometimes it is best to start again. I just purchased a book on software design. Normally, I would not have considered such a step, yet what limits my creativity the most is my constant fear of implementing something the "wrong" way. But, in many cases there isn't a wrong way. Get something working, learn from it, and if needs be redesign it with the newer functionality in mind. The point about a "buddy". I think it is one of, if not the MOST important point.

I have an artist (which hopefully wont bail)

Ah yes one of my biggest problems.

When I get bored I write DOS games. They may seem like a horrible waste of time being so out of date and all that. However when you write one of them you learn a lot about the hardware you're using and there great fun. You don't have to worry about your code getting to complex because a really complicated program wont run on most dos machines. They are usually quick and almost every line is important and you learn a ton about optimization. So next time you feel like this I would get started on one of those and like me you will wish modern programming was like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement