Questions

Started by
7 comments, last by SD2 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I had some questions: - If detail texturing is used with the terrain, will the problem of low quality textures be solved? Here is a screenshot I found where Detail Texturing is used: http://www.threeminutehero.com/projects/terrain/detail.jpg Could similar results be possible if it is used in PR? - If detail texturing does in fact solve the problem of the texture quality, what about shadows, painted textures on the terrain and things such as blast marks? Will there be problems with them? - Can detail texturing also fix drawn out paint on the terrain such as drawn on roads or such? - Do shadows loose quality based on size of terrain? - Do things such as tread marks or blast marks loose quality based on size of terrain? - Unrelated question. When using BSPs, does the lighting of a structure have to be included within one BSP? Or can the light of one BSP affect a different BSP structure? e.g. A structure is made in Q3Radiant with no lighting. It is loaded into PR. A different BSP is made with only lighting. It is loaded into PR. Will the light work on the structure? Thanks alot
Advertisement
- If detail texturing is used with the terrain, will the problem of low quality textures be solved?

Yes, that is exactly what detail textures are used for and it will help the terrain look better. All of the terrain examples I have use this.

- If detail texturing does in fact solve the problem of the texture quality, what about shadows, painted textures on the terrain and things such as blast marks? Will there be problems with them?

Yes, since the resolution depends on the terrain texture. The larger your heightfield the less detail the shadows and blast marks will have since the texture will be stretched out more.

- Can detail texturing also fix drawn out paint on the terrain such as drawn on roads or such?

No.

- Unrelated question. When using BSPs, does the lighting of a structure have to be included within one BSP? Or can the light of one BSP affect a different BSP structure? e.g.

Each BSP has separate lighting precalculated in the lightmaps. No lights stored in the BSP files are actually loaded into the engine for other lighting purposes. This would actually be impossible since with BSP lighting you can have entire faces that emit light, opposed to specific locations. This is important for moving BSP doors and platforms because the lighting on them will not change when they move around. You''ll need to make them fit in without relying on specific lighting conditions.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
quote:Original post by ChrisE
- If detail texturing does in fact solve the problem of the texture quality, what about shadows, painted textures on the terrain and things such as blast marks? Will there be problems with them?

Yes, since the resolution depends on the terrain texture. The larger your heightfield the less detail the shadows and blast marks will have since the texture will be stretched out more.

Is there any solution? If not, how do users cope with it or find a way to get around it?

If terrain size is kept smaller to keep shadow quality, etc. high and the mesh/camera sizes are also made smaller to make the world seem bigger, what problems would occur then?
I am assuming it doesn''t make a difference since rather than stretching the texture making it pixelated, you are moving closer seeing pixels wider apart therefore resulting in the same thing right? Just checking...

Anyway, could you tell me what some of the possible solutions or ways to work around it are?

If you make objects smaller, that means shadows will also be smaller and lose detail. It's important to find a suitable scale for what you want to accomplish that gives decent resolution.

There is no work around. If you don't like the shadow resolution then turn them off and use simple ones (ie decals) or maybe hard edge shadows with stencil volumes (I will be experimenting with these soon).

I don't expect everyone to be using the soft shadows, but they should be fine if you're making a game like Black and White or Halo, with smaller detailed worlds. MMORPG's will probably want to use a much larger scale terrain to make the world seem big, and turn off the shadows completely.

Edited by - ChrisE on October 18, 2001 11:46:18 AM

Very sorry to bother you but just one more question:

Considering the scaling, keeping soft shadow quality high, using detail texturing, etc. etc., is it possible to give an estimate how big the world would be? This certainly seems like a very good engine but I would really want to know about this:
Moving at the speed of normal shooters (e.g. quake3A, UT), keeping quality on everything relatively high (such as Black and White) considering everything (scaling, etc.), how long would it take to get from one side of the world to the other? Just a quick estimate.

Thanks alot,
Sorry again for bothering anyone.
Take a look at the combined indoor/outdoor landscape demo on www.powerrender.com. You could probably make a landscape 4 times that big and still have decent shadow quality.

I tried to download with two different computers and neither one worked. I can download the rest but indoor/outdoor demo doesn''t seem to be working when I click on download. Is this temporary?
Link was broken. Refresh it and try again.
Hi,

I tried it and it worked

I ran a little test and it took 7 minutes to travel from the building towards a direction until I arrived at the building again. I travelled directly towards the lensflare. What angle is the lens flare located at? Is it pointing straight to North, South, West or East or is it on an angle? I couldn't find anyway to find out about coordinates by myself so thats why I am asking this here.

As I directly followed the lens flare from building until back to building, was I following the map straight? or Was I following it on an angle? What angle is the lens flare located at? Since 45 degrees would be double the length of 90 degrees.

Thanks alot

If we can have 4 times this size like you mentioned, keep texture quality high with detail texturing and have proper shadows, this engine would be perfect. Also the speed of movement seemed to be very high.

I also noticed that the terrain quality within the demo wasn't as good as I would have wanted. I checked the terrain picture in the folder and that seemed to be the same. This means that the lack of quality (to my standards ) is due to the original picture and artistic work rather than stretching right? (since detail texturing is used). A professional artist would make a big difference right?

Thanks again
I really appreciate it

Edit: I had a drawing showing what I mean about the Lens Flare Question but it was not working so removed it

Edited by - SD2 on October 18, 2001 3:52:58 PM

Edited by - SD2 on October 18, 2001 3:54:52 PM

Edited by - SD2 on October 18, 2001 3:56:02 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement