Getting model from 3DS Max to my game engine

Started by
13 comments, last by BornToCode 11 years, 2 months ago
I need to be able to parse these intermediate formats if I wish to convert the format to what my engine eventually uses.

Or, you can use Assimp to load the files for you. You will then get a general purpose data representation of the animation. The data will be organized into something like this:

Assimp.png

It takes some effort to understand why a structure like this is needed. Possibly, depending on your requirements, you can simplify your layout. Some of the data can be intermediate.

Eventually, as was stated earlier in the discussion thread, you will want to use your own data format to load.

[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
Advertisement

I already explained exactly the reason I am doing things the way I am, and that I am aware of the downsides of directly using an intermediate format, but why it still makes sense for me to use it anyway.

I do not want to use a third-party tool. It's a waste to me because I have no development goal other than I'm bored. If I eventually do pick a direction I want to take this project, any third-party tool I've decided to use will probably be obsolete.

A prime example of this is the fact that I can't even use the FBX SDK with my engine because I'm using Visual Studio 2012.

You can also ask the Autodesk support, as every legit customer has support.

I contacted them and they gave me the link to download the beta for the FBX SDK that supports VS 2012, so I have decided to use that because I discovered that parsing the file myself makes me hate life.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='Vexal' timestamp='1358591840' post='5023145']
A prime example of this is the fact that I can't even use the FBX SDK with my engine because I'm using Visual Studio 2012.
[/quote]

Have you looked at 2013 beta version. It does support VS2012.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement