University of Toronto

Started by
4 comments, last by kainel 11 years, 2 months ago

Anyone here go to UofT for Computer Science? My university applications are just around the corner so I just wanted some feedback about the UofT program. Any input on other universities for the same program in Ontario are also welcome, just that UofT is what my goal is for now.

Some questions I had:

-UofT requires Calculus and English as prerequisites + 4 courses of your choice, my Advanced Functions mark wasnt that great (81) but its is pretty standard that if you apply you give that mark as well so would that affect my chances if I don't enter that mark or what if I do enter that mark but it isn't that great.

-What was your mark range when you applied for university? (I ask this for a computer science course at any university)

-Will you put in a good word for me? biggrin.png

Advertisement
81 doesn't seem like it would hurt your chances (other than maybe for a huge scholarship). It was a bit different when I enrolled, Universities just got our entire transcript from our high school and Ontario still had grade 13, but my average was definitely below 80% (not by much, but it was below nevertheless). I got accepted to all the programs I applied for (Computer Science at Carleton and Ottawa Universities, and Computer Engineering at one of those two (can't remember which)), and even got a bit of a bursary. I would think 81 is better than most kids you are competing with.

I applied for universities in 2002 for Computer Science. I applied to UofT, YorkU, Carleton, Waterloo and Laurier. I got in all of them in the Computer Science program with an average of about 83 I think. I did not get any scholarships except for Carleton. Mind you, this was the time when OAC (grade 13 was in effect) - but I don't think that should make a difference.

I was also fortunate enough that my highschool offered AP courses, so i took AP Calculus and AP Physics. This meant that I basically aced my first year calculus and physics courses because the material from the AP course was almost identical :)

In the end I chose York because of location and also they had a brand new computer science building (new labs, new everything). I don't regret my decision, York U was awesome :D

I hope this helps

I attended (and graduated) from UofT in the early 1980s, with a major in computer science. It's still a reputable school. It's your grad school that really matters anyways.

I got accepted with a stellarly less than 80 mark in all my courses. They've been doing this for a while, they know your high school marks are really a poor predictor of how you'll do in a serious education environment. Just apply, see what obtains, attend, learn for the joy of it, and never stop. And, if you can't get in to university, you can always go to Carleton.

Oh, and when I was there, UofT St. George campus had 3 computers (a VAX 780 and two 750s, all running BSD Unix) shared by all the comp sci undergrads, although the first year I was there there was just a set of keypunches and you'd send your $JOB to the IBM mainframe through a cardreader. Good times.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Thank you guys so much for the replies.I really do feel much better now because I am very good at sciences and english but it is just math that brings my average down and I know I will be able to get a 85ish average for sure. All the research I've done makes it pretty intimidating and makes it seem like I need a 90ish average. My computer science average will be around 95% i predict so I am sure that will help a lot.

Was great to get replies from people that actually attended UofT!

Thanks so much guys, really helped me a lot.

Just to necro post - but with UoT computer science you will have the opportunity to work with a third year student at OCAD developing a game. This will give you portfolio experience and also some experience working with non programmers. Working across multiple universities is also a big plus.

Best of luck,

Kaine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement