C++ Conditional Operator

Started by
13 comments, last by Trienco 11 years, 3 months ago

I've always heard and known of the conditional operator in C++ though for some reason my brain would always forget exactly how it's read. I decided to take a quick look at it again as I do see some places in my code that is a lot longer than it should be just because I always used a full if/else statement to do one quick test. I just wanted to ask to make sure I am reading these right.

lets say I have the following:

// assume x has already been declared and defined earlier in the program.
int a = (x > 100) ? 0 : 1;

This would read and be the same as:

// again assume x is defined and declared earlier in the program
if(x > 100)
     a = 0;
else
     a = 1;

I just want to make sure I am right in reading this. Even though I do feel dumb that I have always forgot about this operator.

So in other words really if the first expression in true, then the second expression is executed. If the first expression is false then the third expression is executed. Right?

Advertisement
Yes. And the whole thing is one big expression, so it can be used anywhere expressions can be used (right value, function arguments, etc).

I have been corrected. See below.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

It is called the “ternary operator”, in case you want to research it more on Google. “Conditional operator” is just a common name for it.

L. Spiro

I think conditional operator is the correct term, and "ternary operator" is a common name for it. "ternary operator" just means the operator takes three operands, like how a "unary operator" takes one (!, -, *, etc), and how a "binary operator" takes two (+, -, *, /, etc).

int a = (x > 100) ? 0 : 1;

I read that as "if x is more than 100, 0; otherwise 1."

While we are at it, that can also be written as
int a = !(x>100);

You may want to read the Wikipedia page on ?:. It has some examples of usage that I find very nice (particularly the `vehicle =' example under `?: in style guidelines'.

C# also has the null coalesce operator ??.

Foo x = a ?? b;

That is, x is assigned a if it's not null, and b otherwise. Reading wikipedia I realize that with GNU extensions, C/C++ also has that operator.

Foo* x = a ?: b;

Wow, the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know :)

openwar - the real-time tactical war-game platform

While I'm not advocating this as a good idea, the ternary operator is, as ultramailman said, an expression not a statement. This allows for some interesting things don't have a "simple" translation into if/else statements.

For example, choosing a variable to assign:

int a = std::rand(); int b = std::rand(); std::cout << "a: " << a << ", b: " << b << '\n'; (a > b ? a : b) = 42; std::cout << "a: " << a << ", b: " << b << '\n';

Or even choosing between functions, but calling them with a single set of arguments:

void foo(int x) { std::cout << "Foo: " << x << "\n"; } void bar(int x) { std::cout << "Bar: "<< x << "\n"; } void example(int x) { (x > 100 ? foo : bar)(x); }

To reiterate, just because these are possible does not make them a good idea!

I often use ?: in variable initializations or in return statement, because it's easier to see that I am doing only one thing.
bool ChessBoard::is_in_check(int color) const {
  int king = color == White ? WhiteKing : BlackKing;
  // ...
}

Yea I understand the "just because you can use it doesn't make it right" argument. I don't plan to use it exclusively. Though their were some small areas in my code that just looked weird using a full if/else statement when just initializing a simple variable. After changing some code to it I do seem to like this way better than my if/else statements.

Thanks everyone.
I think conditional operator is the correct term, and "ternary operator" is a common name for it.
The term that C++ standard uses for it is conditional operator. See section 5.16 in all of C++98, C++03 and C++11.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement