• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ace_muncher

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

This topic is 6091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can''t get Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 to program in Windows. I have tried copying character for character from books, copied source code that works elsewhere, etc. It will not work for me. Can anyone tell me if they think I''m doing something totally idiotic? Is it the preferences of MSVC 6.0? Teach me now, laugh later, then I''ll laugh with you. -Ace

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Here is an example of a program copied character for character:

#include

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
{
MessageBox(NULL, "Goodbye, cruel world!", "Note", MB_OK);
return 0;
}

I don''t know what most of it means yet, so don''t ask.

-Ace

What is the probability that if someone uses ARGH! as the title 500 times on gamedev.net, sometimes with more A''s or more !''s, etc, that two will be the same?

Just a thought.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

i''m not sure about the probability, but if you look at this interesting example of the word, you will find that each letter is repeated three times. This indicates that when ace_muncher was typing the title, he/she was typing it with deliberation as opposed to with panic, indicating that the situation may not at all be that serious.

a2k

True.

I think when someone is panicing they tend to hold down the last few letters longer than the first.

Maybe if we said 300 of those people were panicing and 200 were calm but a bit frustrated.. would that help at all?

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

you mean in hypothesizing a viable probability of the occurrence of those letters being the same twice? hmm... it depends. are you considering case sensitivity?

a2k

ehm.. how bout copying the error message character for character.. that might help.
otherwise it could be 2.8 million things.

-eldee
;another space monkey;

I can''t belive the guy ask for help,
and you goofs discuss string probability !!

This is insane...

Hugo Ferreira
UniteK Future
"Concentrate, and you can see it. If you see it, then it is possible. If it is possible, you can Achieve it."

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey, look at the forth post in the "C++ or VB" topic by anderstar in this forum... it has a very loooooong "argh" in it...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!