Language Interoperability Preferences of the Professionals

Started by
46 comments, last by swiftcoder 11 years, 3 months ago

Well, basically the topic is what two languages would you like or prefer to use together.

I wonder how many up and coming programmers changed a preference because of frustrations in getting published or contracted for development. Can the realities of the industry cause such a drastic change in sentiment in a few? Perhaps some decide to try some other language after a lot of frustration and maybe quit their goal of a commercially published game.

On the other hand, obviously a tenacious person could get very skilled at 2 or 3 languages and that would put them over the hurdles. Liking it must be important, is my point.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

I think that if you want to be successful in the modern programming world there's no room to get precious over your choice of language. The end product is most important - the language or languages are just a tool. I have plenty of opinions about which languages I like and dislike but it's not that important really, especially when we're talking about preferences "of the professionals" because what the professionals use is whatever the job requires. What's what being a professional is about!

I think that if you want to be successful in the modern programming world there's no room to get precious over your choice of language. The end product is most important - the language or languages are just a tool. I have plenty of opinions about which languages I like and dislike but it's not that important really, especially when we're talking about preferences "of the professionals" because what the professionals use is whatever the job requires. What's what being a professional is about!

This.

I hate virtually every language I use on a daily basis, in some way or another. If I wanted to get a job done, though, I wouldn't use any of the languages I love.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

[quote name='ApochPiQ' timestamp='1358903871' post='5024548']
I hate virtually every language I use on a daily basis, in some way or another. If I wanted to get a job done, though, I wouldn't use any of the languages I love.[/quote]

QFT.

Use any language long enough, and you will discover it has serious flaws. But those flaws are usually symptomatic of concessions that are required to solve real-world problems.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='swiftcoder' timestamp='1358905044' post='5024555']
Use any language long enough, and you will discover it has serious flaws.
[/quote]Or you develop the Stockholm syndrome biggrin.png

"There are two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about, and those nobody uses."

Alrighty then... Let's go there! tongue.png

What languages do you hate to use but have basically been forced unto them by will of thy master? blink.png ...had to use them.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Alrighty then... Let's go there! tongue.png

Let's not.

What languages do you hate to use but have basically been forced unto them by will of thy master? blink.png ...had to use them.

Do you really not see the problem with this? That list includes pretty much every language I have ever used - even a language I use by choice everyday (like, say: python) has many serious flaws...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement