• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Error: Expression must be a modifiable lvalue

This topic is 1826 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've looked around gamedev some and it seems like there's a really supportive community, so I decided to try getting support on this error I'm getting.

I'm learning C++ from a book; I'm just beginning in it, so this is a really simple program. The idea is: the user enters a number, which the computer guesses at. However, in the section where I'm modifying the ai's guessing logic, I'm getting an error I can't find a good way to get around. I included a picture of the code and error. When I hover my mouse over the variables "guess" in the arithmetic within the 'if' blocks, it says: "Error: Expression must be a modifiable lvalue"

I would really appreciate an explanation of what that means and maybe a suggestion to fix it.

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Advertisement
Quickfix:
Use [tt]a=4+b[/tt] over [tt]4+b=a[/tt].
You cannot assign the value [tt]a[/tt] into [tt]4+b[/tt].

If both [tt]a=4+b[/tt] and [tt]4+b=a[/tt] are to be the same, then which value should be assigned to the other in the expression: [tt]a=b[/tt]?
You can read more about l-values and r-values here.

Also:
You only need to call [tt]srand[/tt] once in your program, please refer to this thread: Why is it bad to call srand multiple times? Edited by fastcall22

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement