On being called a Genius.

Started by
65 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 2 months ago
I don't know how often this happens to any of you but I don't really like it when people think of me as some genius because of what I can do in computer programming. I feel like it sets up an expectation that I should be good at anything that requires thinking. That isn't always the case. I feel like I have gotten good at computer programming because I enjoy it and put in lots of time to get to where I am. I feel like almost anybody who put the time in could develop the same skills. Your thoughts?
My current game project Platform RPG
Advertisement

[quote name='HappyCoder' timestamp='1358458297' post='5022652']
I feel like almost anybody who put the time in could develop the same skills. Your thoughts?
[/quote]

I don't subscribe to this. Can almost anyone learn to program? Sure, any adult of moderate intelligence can learn the basics of programming. Can they learn to do it well? Maybe, but for some people it's a lot harder than for others.

That's not to imply that people who can't program are less clever. One of my first jobs I worked with a guy who was a terrible programmer. Nice guy, worked hard at it, but never really got it at a fundamental level. Eventually, he quit and went into finance where it turns out, he was some kind of wunderkind and could now buy and sell me with his pocket change.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I dislike being called the "g" word as well, but I don't really think anyone has ever called me that because I can write computer programs. It usually was uttered in response to me being a graduate student in a prominent engineering school, or the fact that I enjoy reading and learning about scientific topics in my spare time and have books about theoretical physics on my bookshelf. I really don't feel I'm a genius in any sense. I'm just above average intelligence, work hard, and have a high degree of intellectual curiosity about a number of subjects.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

This happens to me most often during introductions made by family or friends. I used to disagree, but I eventually got tired of hearing the, "How many people do you know that can..." speech.

While i pride myself on being logical, I hardly think I'm a genius. I think I'm just of average intelligence despite what IQ tests or school has "proved" to me. my thoughts remain the same; that no one has ever walked or talked their way into this world. It all stems from exploration and then practice.

It isn't just in programming.

I attribute it to both inarticulate speech and also minimization to avoid negativity in themselves.

People see my skills in programming and my years of experience and say I'm a genius. What they mean is that they are impressed by my logical thinking and the other skills I have developed over the decades. Or they are making an excuse for themselves, "I could do that if I had a magical programmer trait".

People watch/listen to me playing piano, and say I have a musical talent. What they mean is that they are impressed by the countless hours of practice over the three decades since I started taking lessons. Or they are making an excuse for themselves, "I could play like that if I had a magical musician trait".

People look at the art I create, either through paint or through photography, and say I must have an eye for art. What they mean is that they are impressed by result that came from the thousands of hours of work, piles of filled art pads, and critically reviewing over a hundred thousand of my own photos. Or they are making an excuse for themselves, "I could do that if I had a magical artistic trait".

I tend to usually ignore the comments since they are often said in a depreciating way, or if they are said in a positive way I try to treat them as a compliment.

I tend to usually ignore the comments since they are often said in a depreciating way, or if they are said in a positive way I try to treat them as a compliment.

This.

I've found that people who actually are qualified to compliment someone's expertise (be it programming, music, art, whatever else) generally avoid superlatives anyways, and can pinpoint what you do that's impressive. Generic compliments don't really mean anything to me anymore; but if someone says they're really impressed by such-and-such, that's different.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

In American culture, sometimes being called a "genius" can actually be a partial insult, depending how it's said. Nerds, or smart people in general, are not appreciated as much in this culture. Good-looking/Hollywood/actors/actresses/singers/musicians/performers are valued more than any other professions. So, being called a genius is almost like being called a socially inapt nerd.

So, it depends on how take it. For me personally, I never try to do programming outside of the programming realm. That is, I never try to show my programming skills unless the situations call for it (work, project).

I used to be called a genius too, but that's when I was in school/college where nobody else around me knew programming.

I just compare it to learning a foreign language and change the topic.

"Wow, you know how to program computer games?"

"I know a computer language and write code in that, similar to how someone might learn Spanish or French as a second language, except the computer language I know is a written language only. Oh look, a kitty!"

Not the best or most accurate analogy, but one almost anyone can understand without going into the technical details that just reinforce their 'yep, he's a genius' thought.

Occasionally the word 'genius' or 'brilliant' is also used not to literally mean you are super-intelligent, but that whatever specific thing you just did was impressive. "You got that virus off my computer? You're a genius!" (used as a compliment, but not being applied to your entire person, just that specific action -> fixing the laptop).

Other times, people are so in over their head with computers, that they are astonished when you do something simple, and use the word 'genius' to mean literally that you are a genius.

You have to know the person and listen to the intonation of their voice to be able to tell how they are using it, and whether you ought say something or leave it be.

I get it, rarely, and it usually just means that the person saying it is impressed with something or other that I did. In my experience the word is used very very imprecisely, generally to mean good work on some mental task. As ApochiPQ said, it's a generic compliment that has very little thought behind it. If you don't think the person speaking is being sarcastic, I'd just accept the bland compliment and not take it too seriously.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Between being called a "genius" and the other extreme ("but it's just a simple matter of programming!") I prefer the former.

(had to search for 5min the antonym of latter because I forgot it, lol)

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement