Medieval RPG Ideas

Started by
4 comments, last by Unduli 11 years, 2 months ago

Hey, just thought i had a good idea for a game. It will be a medieval roleplay game and also free roam. You will be a character (customizable at start) choosing from several classes (bowman, crossbowman, one handed weapon {leaving room for a shield or another sword}, two handed weapon. There will be a currency of course and hunger. Their will be towns, villages and cities across the free roam medieval world. Some might be low on food at the time or have varying skill in the blacksmith. You could at the start (low on money) have to resort to crime (to satisfy your hunger or money needs),be a regular in a countries army or find money some other way (mercenary, run errands, helping other people who will reward you). Later on, with more money in hand, you could purchase better armour or weapons and later become a renowned lord and own a town and fight for your king or be savage pillager of villages, once again the choice is yours. I personally don't have much more than a few hours of game making in unity and such but if you would like to make it or help please do. If you want more info add me on skype: zane.stozza (this was just a brief overview of what the game would be like)

Advertisement

I recommend a lot more time investigating how games are made and just how much work making even a simple game is before tackling something like this.

-Aeramor

CTO at Conjecture, Inc.

It would be a ton of work to make something like this. I really doubt somebody is gonna make it for you, better to dig in and learn how to make it yourself..eventually. That being said I think it is a really cool idea. I'm not a big fan of hunger systems in games. They seem so hard to implement in way that is meaningful but not tedious. I love the idea of being able to work your way up in both power and noteriety within the game.

Would there be monsters to fight? Do they drop money or treasure? Balancing the economy could become difficult. Would defeating stronger monsters give enough money to make stealing or acquiring money in other ways pointless, or vice versa? Would the urge to turn the whole thing into an mmo halfway thru the project be too strong to resist?

Games like Skyrim are made by literally hundreds of people, cost millions of dollars and easily take 3-5 years of the majority of those people pulling 60+ hour weeks. <3 It's a massive, massive project.

Start smaller for your first game. Think "The first three levels of Super Meat Boy." That'll get you into the swing of things and give you perspective. :)

Even though it would be a pretty big undertaking dont get discouraged. Another game that has similar stuff in it is minecraft with a few mods. Not to pick at anyone but that game was made by a handfull of people and the mods you would add to get a similar feel didnt take to long at all.

I agree with serratemplar about Super Meat Boy. Take all your info about your current idea and write it all down. Then, your gonna need to learn simple stuff. Make a Tetris clone and Mario clone and just kinda progress from there. All the while just keep adding stuff to your idea up there to shape it a make it more solid. That way when you do attempt to make it, you've got a deeper understanding of game design.

I'm also going to point out that you could bring the main point across without super killer graphics. We aren't competing with Square or Moneysoft to make a best seller (yet) it's the general joy of making something and showing everyone else.

Actually I always favored a game like Mount&Blade but you are starting at lowest rank (peasant?) and rank up both in army and politics. But I agree with rest, it is hardly a project to jump in without prior experience or someone having it.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement