Sign in to follow this  
EvanClark

[C++/SDL] How to render integers with SDL_TTF

EvanClark    130

Hello i am currently creating my first SDL game and i need a little counter on the side of my screen that displays the score however when i do the normal

message = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font,score textColor );

i get an error stating i cannot convert a int to char*,How can i overcome this?

HAM    176

You might not have provided enough information for someone to help.  But I'll take a stab.  Also I think you have a typo and missed a comma in the code you did post.

I am assuming 'score' is an int and the function, TTF_RenderText_Solid is expecting a char* for the second arguement.

A simple way to do this would be:

char textBuffer[64];

sprintf(textBuffer, "%d", score);  // Write the int 'score' into a char buffer

TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, textBuffer, textColor);

sprintf works just like printf but writes into a char buffer instead of standard out.

The error you received was pretty straight forward.  You were trying to use a variable of type 'int' when a variable of type 'char*' was expected.

Edited by HAM

BitMaster    8651
The OP tagged the topic as C++, so supplying the native C++ way to do this would have been better (especially since it's clear the OP is still lacking a lot of experience and the *printf-family of C function can get you quickly into difficult to find, obscure bugs if you are careless):

#include <sstream>

std::ostringstream oss;
oss << score;
TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, oss.str().c_str(), textColor);

BaneTrapper    1531

The OP tagged the topic as C++, so supplying the native C++ way to do this would have been better (especially since it's clear the OP is still lacking a lot of experience and the *printf-family of C function can get you quickly into difficult to find, obscure bugs if you are careless):

#include <sstream>

std::ostringstream oss;
oss << score;
TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, oss.str().c_str(), textColor);

Google does not provide info on "ostringstream" is that same or equal to "stringstream" ?

Answer to question:

To convert "int" to "char" use stringstream.

First include it

[code]#include <stringstream>[/code]

Second declare a object of stringstream

[code]std::stringstream objSS;[/code]

Third store data intro stringstream

[code]int my_int = 100; char my_char = 'a'; std::string my_string = "Good day sir";   objSS << my_int; objSS << my_char; objSS << my_string;   std::cout << objSS.str() << std::endl; 100aGood day  sir [code] To clear already used stringstream [code] objSS.clear();//This will clear any errors that may occured objSS.str(std::string()); //This will clear your stringstream object allowing for reuse[/code]

BitMaster    8651
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BaneTrapper" data-cid="5022847"><p>Google does not provide info on "ostringstream" is that same or equal to "stringstream" ?</p></blockquote><br /><a data-cke-saved-href="http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/basic_ostringstream" href="http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/basic_ostringstream">Linky</a>

BaneTrapper    1531
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BaneTrapper" data-cid="5022847"><p>Google does not provide info on "ostringstream" is that same or equal to "stringstream" ?</p></blockquote><br /><a data-cke-saved-href="http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/basic_ostringstream" href="http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/basic_ostringstream">Linky</a>

Thank you for the webpage.

swiftcoder    18426

[quote name='BaneTrapper' timestamp='1358505267' post='5022847']
Google does not provide info on "ostringstream" is that same or equal to "stringstream" ?[/quote]

All standard library stream classes come in 'input' and 'output' varieties, prefixed respectively with 'i' and 'o'.

The non-prefix version is a bidirectional stream which may be used to interleave both input and output on the same underlying stream object.