Which platform should I use to write a game engine for multi platforms

Started by
6 comments, last by Wave1 11 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I want to write a same game engine for Java, BB, iOS and android platform.

On which platform should I start writing the same?

Any solution?

Advertisement

What do you mean by "BB", is that short for BlackBerry?

...and why Java? Do you just want it to be portable across common desktop environments (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux), or is there some reason you need to produce a Java game?

It doesn't produce a Java application, but NME allows you to target Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, WebOS, Flash and HTML5, which is about as comprehensive platform coverage as you'll find without writing multiple code-bases.

If you can explain your requirements in more detail we may be able to offer better suggestions. Are you after 2d or 3d? How complex do the games need to be? Do you need to access device features such as accelerometers, cameras, etc.? What experience do you already have?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes BB stands for BlackBerry.

I want to write game engine for mobile devices which includes Nokia devices also with Java platform.

Features like simple touch and keys are to be implemented no accelerometers or cameras.

The game will be 2D .

Game will be simple with AI logic and single player game.

I am going to write the engine 1st time for all platforms but I don't want to do the rework so I want some suggestions that Is there any possibility for the same?

Again, why Java? The only language that both iOS, Windows Phone and Android support is C. I am not sure about C++ on iOS, I've heard about Objective C++, but it's not pure C++ AFAIK. I think that niether WP, nor iOS support the Java runtime, so you'll be able to only make your engine work in Android, unless you have a Java implementation in C that compiles on all platforms (and include it in your code base). This is possible with .NET (Mono), and that is why engines and frameworks allow you to "script" in c#/boo.

Edit: Start with the platform where you have a physical device. When you do phone apps, nothing compares when you can actially play with your creation on a real phone. If you've got multiple phones, start with the one you like the best smile.png

I recommend you do two things. One, start smaller, maybe with slightly less devices. And two, make your game, instead of an engine. There are 3 engines that come to mind that can do most of the platforms you are interested in, which are GameMaker, Shiva, and Unity3d. They all 3 can export to windows, mac, iOS, and Android, and Shiva and Unity3d can do Linux as well, while Shiva can do BB(and a couple others) on top of that. Then GameMaker can do HTML5 as well.

They all have free versions for you to try out too. For 2d games, I highly recommend the first option I mention as it is meant for 2d, and the other 2 are meant for 3d meaning you'd have to workaround that.

Thank u all for the suggestions...

This is really helpful.

:)

I am not sure about C++ on iOS

iOS supports C++.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

If you're happy working in C/C++ then the Marmalade SDK is a good option. It lets you write a single code base that can then target iOS, Android and BlackBerry (certainly Playbook and I believe BB10 too, or at least soon). Windows Phone 8 support has also been promised to arrive shortly.

Note that it isn't free however (although a free trial is available).

Check out http://www.madewithmarmalade.com for more information and if you think it looks like it will suit your needs then (shameless plug alert!) you could also pick up a copy of the book I wrote that shows you how to get to grips with Marmalade - http://www.packtpub.com/marmalade-sdk-mobile-game-development-essentials/book

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement