C# Newbie 3D Engine for a game editor

Started by
9 comments, last by IndignatoSpeciale 10 years, 11 months ago

Hi all, i searched a lot in internet but i didn't found a simple and basic engine to draw a big 3d scene (usually more than 3 million vertices).

The goal is to build a simple 3d editor with some basic toolw. The objects creation will be made by some 3d tools (Blender , 3d max , ecc...) then importing it into this editor.

Why create a similar 3d editor ?

with a c# source code you can add custom features don't used by other 3d editor and specify for a game mechanism.

So i build a simple scene manager to draw fast more than 8 million vertices with batch method, a simple picking method, a fix FPS function, all these to improve the performance of rendering instead used the same examples found in internet (Mesh class or Draw too many time)

I share this code and i hope that someone help me if are interested. :)

http://code.google.com/p/3d-directx-csharp-editor/downloads/list

">
Advertisement

ok, 12 downloading but no replies ? no one are interested ?

It looks good. I am yet to write an exporter for 3DSMax output to my own model format (which is way underpowered) and there just doesn't seem to be a straight forward model format and pipeline available (for C#), so it's good to see other people tackling this problem, in one way or another.

But doesn't 3DSMax have a .net version of it's SDK ? So you could write your own exporter, then you don't need an extra app at all. Not that I'm against what you're doing, I think it's great. I'm just saying, it would be preferable to work in Max and just output my own model format. That's a tool (plugin) I wish was available, one that would easily allow me to output custom data formats.

But nice work.

Hi, I start this project exactly because I encounters many issue with 3dstudio:
1 After 3milion vertices are very slow
2 I can emulate game mecanism
3 maxscript for big code will slow a lot.

I also tried with max sdk to make plugings but you need:
1 different version of visual.studio
2 different sdk for each version
3 compile for each 3dsmax version and for each 32 and 64
4 there aren't a true benefit, also with sdk there are a lot of limitation in the 3d scene.

If you want see my script go to twcenter forum, I'm working a lot with file conversion for game modding, but all with pure maxscript code to ensure compatibility for all version.

PS: now I make a test to animate the objects and seam nice... but I'm newbie so don't try to learn DirectX with this project :]

Hi, recently i test a simple GUI for the editor projects, i test the swapchain function but i find a little issue:

When viewportpanel resize i must recreate the swapchain, resizing it work but the box displayed are grainy, but aspect ratio is correct and project matrix are updated....

source code

">video

Hi John!

I'm waiting for your fantastic 3d engine :)

Good luck! i will support you as i can you!

Italians do it better!

----------------------------------

Cool stuff. Bonus points for adding instancing into the mix.

I made something similar before, making a simple DX9 engine that pools meshes and textures and all that other good stuff. You got farther ahead of me with the GUI, though. Thanks for sharing the code!

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

thanks, but be carefull with my code, i'm not expert programmer so the code can be bad write. If someone what correct it are welcomed.
Now i'm starting learning VertexShader and PixelShader because is an existential code to improve rendering performance and simplicity (example solidwireframe case), so after i can continue to learn now create a simple renderer engine for a basic 3dtool.

My goal is building a very basic 3d editor because will be an exential way for my game's modding job smile.png

PS1: from http://www.vincedx.altervista.org i correct the swapchain class.
PS2: in the instancing example i test 1000000 of instance but i have a good graphic card... before testing reduce this value

added a simple 2D editor for uv map, i'm trying to use System.Drawing methods but i'm not sure is the best way... to improve the drawing i use different Layer's class

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Test the Octree traversal raytracing math found here : http://iason.fav.zcu.cz/WSCG2000/Papers_2000/X31.pdf

Understanding how work was a little difficult but after using also Excel i finally create a workable viewer :)

[SPOILER]

[/SPOILER]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement