games for phones

Started by
13 comments, last by HAM 11 years, 2 months ago
Im just about to pick a programming style but which one should I start with. I would like to easily port over mobile phones. Starting with Windows phone. Platform games on Xbox, ps3 and other big Systems dont appeal to me... yet. I would like to start with simple games such as pong or older games and work my way up. Im not looking for 3D programming until after I make my ideal 2d game. As for my next question are there software that I have to buy like "director" haha bet you never heard of that program in a while. PS I do have basic knowledge in programming in lingo and Java. Far from expert and has been years.
Advertisement
Note in using windows 7 32bit.
Note in using windows 7 32bit.

I was going to write a lot about the difficulties of making games (or apps) on multiple phones, but since you mentioned that, you only have two options now:

1. Windows phones.
  2. Android.

You can't work on iPhones from a Windows machine. Pick one of those two, and stick to that for at least a year before considering porting your game to another phone. Mobile porting is a pain in the ass.

Ok so window 7 and WP 8. What would be the best language for support / tutorials

It's also worth noting that Windows 8 mobile devices DO NOT SUPPORT XNA. If you want to target multiple mobile platforms you can use HTML5 and Javascript, using cordova you can easily port these from device to device with around a dozen of lines of code each machine and they will launch / run as native apps. You do still need to own a Mac or at the least setup a VM and purchase OSX to build and deploy an iOS version.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

The research is pointing to c++ / c# and Java. Maybe I'll stick with Java as I know the basic fundamentals of the language. Thanks for the help guys. More input is appreciated while I do my studies.

You could try NME.

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1358563910' post='5023079']
You can't work on iPhones from a Windows machine
[/quote]

It's not officially supported, but there are a number of options that allow you to develop for iOS from a Windows machine. You need a Mac for deploying but can access one through services such as MacInCloud.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Wealth of knowledge jbadams! I will sure to check out NME! As for MacInCloud I will look into that one too unless I buy a mac down the road but looks interesting. Got to love clouds "looks up at the sky".

I use GIMP for my 2d images. It is like Photoshop but free. Once you get into 3d look up Blender, it too is free.

I compile on Windows 7 64. Using Java 64. I don't use an IDE. I use Notepad++ and a self made bat file for compiling, signing, and compressing of java applets mainly cause I cannot figure out how to compile and figure out how to run my apps using Eclipse or NetBeans.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

[...]

Are you sure you replied to the correct topic? Your post doesn't really address the question being discussed at all... huh.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement