High School Student with High Goals -- Need Advice

Started by
26 comments, last by PixUnit 11 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone,

I need some advice from you all. I have two problems, one is lack of money and one is lack of drive.

I am a Sophomore High School student who wants to be successful early and is able to go to Stanford. From what I understand Stanford is looking only for the best, so in order to be "the best" I am trying to hold a 4.1+ GPA, trying to make some video games that I can sell so Stanford can see that I show initiative and so that they can see that I can program, and I am trying to play sports at the same time to show that I am a well rounded student (and I enjoy them). I enjoy making games and programming. I like to use C++ and OpenGL and when I was learning and just messing around with that language and library in middle school, I had no problems (probably because I had more time and was less stressed). Now I have problems.

I am having problems with drive. I have this game idea that I like and have been working on but I think these high aspirations of mine are not allowing me to apply myself to programming because I am too busy (and stressed) with school and sports. I go to school at around 8 and I get home after sports at around 5:30. I have plenty of time till bed, but I just don't have the drive to work on my self produced projects (my game for example). Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't seem to hop onto my computer and start programming? I always seem to drift to youtube and just start watching videos there. I just don't have any will power at this point in the day to push myself to start programming. If I ever do start, I enjoy it, but I just can't seem to start. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Also being a high school student and soon to be college student, I need money. I am looking to use my intermediate programming abilities to make some extra cash and my video game endeavors are not producing any income at the moment. I have looked at freelancing on freelancer.com but it seems as though the amounts are always low and the bids are always in before I even have a chance to compete. So is there any other site or way I can use my programming abilities to make some extra cash? I have looked locally but there isn't much.

Thankyou,
Brent
Advertisement

I am in a similar situation, I find it helpful to instead of open up youtube, open up an online timer. Time yourself doing at least half an hour solid work on your game without getting distracted. Then go to youtube or whatever you want. I also find music sometimes helps me concentrate, I know that not everyone does but you should try listening to music while you program and see if it helps.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JackBid" data-cid="5023218" data-time="1358617488"><p>
I am in a similar situation, I find it helpful to instead of open up youtube, open up an online timer. Time yourself doing at least half an hour solid work on your game without getting distracted. Then go to youtube or whatever you want. I also find music sometimes helps me concentrate, I know that not everyone does but you should try listening to music while you program and see if it helps.</p></blockquote>

Alright i will try this, thanyou! I am worried that i wont even have the willpower to get on my pc though and i might just go on my phone.. Any ideas on a fix for this? :D Maybr have my parents take my phone away? Hehe. Also do you have any ideas for the money flow problem? I have a job oppurtunity on saturdays for some extra cash but i would really like to know if there is a worthwhile freelance programming alterative.

Thanks,
Brent

Why don't you stop doing "the right thing" to get into college, and do what you are genuinely interested in. If you are doing extracurricular activities for the sole purpose of looking good on a college application, that is stupid. There was a student applying to MIT who actually built a fully functional miniature nuclear core on his property while in high school, and for other reasons he was turned down by MIT, one of the most prestigious engineering schools in the world. Likewise, it is not smart to spend your childhood (where you don't have to go to work eight hours a day every weekday the whole year, muster up rent every month, pay bills for everything you use, pay for every meal you eat, pay for everything you do, and still try to find something enjoyable to do) on a checklist of things needed to look good on a college application. In converse, you do not want to waste your time, either. In my opinion, sports are a waste of time if you feel you don't have enough of it. Also, don't fully concentrate on making a game, but keep more important things on your horizon. For example, you could make a game while you are still a sophomore, but do something constructive next year, like use your programming knowledge to study papers and books and maybe do something like make a computer science entry in the Siemen's Science Competition or the like. Not to sound corny, but there is so much one can do in this day and age, yet people tend to squander it chasing for menial and traditional lifestyles (i.e. "I'm just going to take it slow, be married, have a few kids, someone else can do the thinking, I was never good at that, I'm just a simple man/woman").

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Well I am making games because I want, but i also know it will help me. So i am not doing it for the sole purpose of college. Also the only reason i really want to go to stanford is because of the cs oppurtunities there (such as the amount of other people who are good and interested in programming). But I think the idea that I NEED to make a game is what is actually holding me back, so I will stop pushing to make a game because i have to. Also i like the idea of science fairs for programming, i will check that out.

I am still have a shortage of cash though, so are there any oppurtunties that you guys know of?

Thanks a ton!
Brent
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JackBid" data-cid="5023218" data-time="1358617488"><p>
I am in a similar situation, I find it helpful to instead of open up youtube, open up an online timer. Time yourself doing at least half an hour solid work on your game without getting distracted. Then go to youtube or whatever you want. I also find music sometimes helps me concentrate, I know that not everyone does but you should try listening to music while you program and see if it helps.</p></blockquote>

Alright i will try this, thanyou! I am worried that i wont even have the willpower to get on my pc though and i might just go on my phone.. Any ideas on a fix for this? biggrin.png Maybr have my parents take my phone away? Hehe. Also do you have any ideas for the money flow problem? I have a job oppurtunity on saturdays for some extra cash but i would really like to know if there is a worthwhile freelance programming alterative.

Thanks,
Brent

I am fairly new to programming and haven't made any money off it so far so I may not be the best person to ask. However I know some site like addicting games, funny games and armor games pay you to have your game on their site. it has to be flash though. I know some people who have made flash games in only a day or two during game jams, so maybe if you work very hard you could produce a basic flash game and generate some money.

I am in a similar situation, I find it helpful to instead of open up youtube, open up an online timer. Time yourself doing at least half an hour solid work on your game without getting distracted. Then go to youtube or whatever you want. I also find music sometimes helps me concentrate, I know that not everyone does but you should try listening to music while you program and see if it helps.

Alright i will try this, thanyou! I am worried that i wont even have the willpower to get on my pc though and i might just go on my phone.. Any ideas on a fix for this? :D Maybr have my parents take my phone away? Hehe. Also do you have any ideas for the money flow problem? I have a job oppurtunity on saturdays for some extra cash but i would really like to know if there is a worthwhile freelance programming alterative.
Thanks,
Brent
I am fairly new to programming and haven't made any money off it so far so I may not be the best person to ask. However I know some site like addicting games, funny games and armor games pay you to have your game on their site. it has to be flash though. I know some people who have made flash games in only a day or two during game jams, so maybe if you work very hard you could produce a basic flash game and generate some money.
Yeah it is starting to seem like c++ and opengl isnt really the way to make much money as a student. It is starting to seem like web is a more viable option for a steady income. I will definately consider moving to the web but if there are any other options that involve c++ and or graphics APIs like Opengl that someone knows about, please let me know.

Is there a money making oppurtunity in making mods for games? I like doing that and have done that in the past.

Thanks for your reply!
Brent

Alright i will try this, thanyou! I am worried that i wont even have the willpower to get on my pc though and i might just go on my phone.. Any ideas on a fix for this? biggrin.png Maybr have my parents take my phone away? Hehe. Also do you have any ideas for the money flow problem? I have a job oppurtunity on saturdays for some extra cash but i would really like to know if there is a worthwhile freelance programming alterative.
Thanks,
Brent
Yeah it is starting to seem like c++ and opengl isnt really the way to make much money as a student. It is starting to seem like web is a more viable option for a steady income. I will definately consider moving to the web but if there are any other options that involve c++ and or graphics APIs like Opengl that someone knows about, please let me know.

Is there a money making oppurtunity in making mods for games? I like doing that and have done that in the past.

Thanks for your reply!
Brent

I am not sure about mods, it probably depends on what game the mod is for as different companies may have different views on it. If its just a simple mod, you may be able to have people download it for free through adfly, then you profit from the ads from adfly, although I doubt you will make much from that.

My suggestions. Do what you love. You may or may not get into Stanford and you aren't a failure if you don't. If you work hard and apply yourself you will find yourself in a university that is good for you and will help you along in your career. Be patient and don't worry if you feel like there are others who are better programmers than you. It always seems there is a bigger fish in the pond.

I think getting into Stanford is a good goal. That should help you stretch yourself and achieve more, but don't let that goal drain you or take away your happiness.

In my own life I worked on projects in during high school because I enjoyed doing it. I wasn't trying to impress anybody. I tried in school and I graduated with a 3.5. My highest score on the ACT was a 28 in math and everything else was above a 20. I still got into the school I wanted to and am satisfied with the direction my education and my career. The projects I spend the most time on are the ones I do because I enjoy them. These personal projects are usually more complicated then what I do in any of my CS classes and I find myself strolling through the programming projects where others in my class struggle. I think this is because my main focus is programming out of enjoyment. Not because my focus is get badges of honor.
My current game project Platform RPG
Alright, well I will work on personal projects for fun and I will freelance on the web side of things to make a steady income. I will spend 30 minutes a day minimum on my personal projects and i will work on freelance projects on the weekend.If anyone knows of a good freelancing site for web and c++ that isnt overrun by people who undercut prices, it would be awesome if you let me know about it. Thankyou everyone so much! Brent

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement