High School Student with High Goals -- Need Advice

Started by
26 comments, last by PixUnit 11 years, 2 months ago
Why don't you stop doing "the right thing" to get into college, and do what you are genuinely interested in. If you are doing extracurricular activities for the sole purpose of looking good on a college application, that is stupid. There was a student applying to MIT who actually built a fully functional miniature nuclear core on his property while in high school, and for other reasons he was turned down by MIT, one of the most prestigious engineering schools in the world. Likewise, it is not smart to spend your childhood (where you don't have to go to work eight hours a day every weekday the whole year, muster up rent every month, pay bills for everything you use, pay for every meal you eat, pay for everything you do, and still try to find something enjoyable to do) on a checklist of things needed to look good on a college application. In converse, you do not want to waste your time, either. In my opinion, sports are a waste of time if you feel you don't have enough of it. Also, don't fully concentrate on making a game, but keep more important things on your horizon. For example, you could make a game while you are still a sophomore, but do something constructive next year, like use your programming knowledge to study papers and books and maybe do something like make a computer science entry in the Siemen's Science Competition or the like. Not to sound corny, but there is so much one can do in this day and age, yet people tend to squander it chasing for menial and traditional lifestyles (i.e. "I'm just going to take it slow, be married, have a few kids, someone else can do the thinking, I was never good at that, I'm just a simple man/woman").

This, so much. I've come to realize how little grades actually mean. Of course, dropping out of high school is probably not the wisest choice you could make, but working in your own time after school (either coding, or any productive hobby really) means so much more in later life than getting straight A's. Plus, if you can get just that little bit ahead of the game, it makes high school essentially trivial for the subjects you're interested in. For the others.. just churn through it, you get to specialize in a few years.

I never bought into the whole "be the best at school" trend. Mind you, I was never a downright bad student, but in high school I never really strived for perfection, put the absolute minimum amount of effort I could into actual schoolwork, just enough to pass, and ended up with a 70-80% average which got me into university (again, not into a top university, but a decent one, as far as universities go). But this mindset many people would qualify of "lazy" and "unambitious", gave me a ludicrous amount of free time to get ahead in maths and programming - mostly because it was so much more fun than mechanically solving quadratics and integrals in class - and if I had to do it all over again, I would. Without hesitation. Personal satisfaction is so much better than reaching milestones set by society.

Now I completely understand why some people (including you, most likely, Riztro) would look down on me for this, and not everyone has the luck I had, but I am satisfied with the way things have gone so far, at least education-wise. I think the most concise way to put it is that to me, public education is not a goal in and of itself, but is more of a helpful signpost that you only need to read once or twice. I am not advocating this, as I do not have a basis of reference, and I do think it's a decision you have to figure out for yourself anyway. If going to a top college is your goal, then go for it! Just don't go in blindly because "someone told you so".

As for your motivation problem, I've found that a good way to resolve those mental roadblocks is to work on something smaller, much smaller in the meantime, that you can accomplish in, say, an afternoon or two, and get some gratification from completing it. Then you might be in a better mindset to work on your game. Also, I understand this isn't compatible with your schedule but I personally cannot "switch on and off" of projects like that, I need to have a good two-three hours minimum ahead of me to really have time to gear up and become productive. But that may just be me.

Though building nuclear reactors is kind of a risky hobby. Would not take up.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement
I think my ultimate goal is to help people with my programming and live a comfortable life. And I do not look down on you for being an average student. I only shoot for those grades for mostly scholarship purposes for achools other than stanford because i realize stanford is a longshot.I would love to slack off if it meant i could program but my parents dont want that because grades are important to them. Thanks for your advice about getting around mental roadblocks! Thankyou so much all of you guys! You are all so helpful! Brent
I think my ultimate goal is to help people with my programming and live a comfortable life. And I do not look down on you for being an average student. I only shoot for those grades for mostly scholarship purposes for achools other than stanford because i realize stanford is a longshot.I would love to slack off if it meant i could program but my parents dont want that because grades are important to them. Thanks for your advice about getting around mental roadblocks! Thankyou so much all of you guys! You are all so helpful! Brent

It's great that you have respect for the opinions and wishes of your parents, but you are reaching the time in your life where you need to make your own decisions concerning your future.

I don't think working towards a career in your spare time could be considered as slacking it off.smile.png

For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
[quote name='Cambo_frog' timestamp='1358628766' post='5023283'] I don't think working towards a career in your spare time could be considered as slacking it off. [/quote] Haha good point! If I can make an income with it too, I think they would be very pleased!

I don't think working towards a career in your spare time could be considered as slacking it off.

Haha good point! If I can make an income with it too, I think they would be very pleased!
Exactly, it's a win win situation.

Now go for it and good luck.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.

I agree only partially with Bacterius. As a current University student, I can offer input from the perspective of someone who's still on the path you're thinking about starting down. To be clear, and completely straightforward, I think your grades right now are the absolute most important thing. You need excellent top grades. Not because they'll make you a better person, but because they're the major thing that will give you the ability to choose from a list of universities, rather than settle for one the universities that choose you. I cannot stress enough how important it is to end up at a university you love, surrounded by people who you feel are as ambitious and driven, if not more so, than you are. I currently go to a university full of people who just want to do "good enough." They all have the intelligence and potential, but none of the drive. They treat me like a genius because I work harder than them, and it's frustrating to only know one other person who shares my excitement for life and programming. Do not end up in a place like this. You will regret it. To avoid that, do what you have to now. Get those good grades, do those extra-curricular activities. Find someone at stanford now, if you can, and talk to them about what it takes.

Now what I do agree with Bacterius on is doing what you love. Don't think about money or having a "good job." You're too young to be so defeated as to worry about things like that. If you pursue what you love, you will be so much happier than if you pursue the thing that will give you enough money to keep your netflix account active, like everyone else is doing. This applies to even small parts of life as well. If your current personal project doesn't make you want to jump up and get to your computer immediately, then you more than likely need something else. Just accept that it doesn't excite you enough and try to find something else to do. Maybe some modding will excite you, or something other than video games for the time being. Whatever gets you to close youtube and open visual studio (or whatever IDE), do it.

I'll go back to my point about going to a great school. When you get out, you'll have 3 options (in general). You'll either want a job somewhere, go to graduate school, or start your own business. Getting a job or going to graduate school both require that you go to a great school with great professors and other students you can bond, learn, and grow with. Starting a company, obviously, requires friends who are at your skill level and want to do the things you want to do. Under none of these circumstances is it okay to end up at a school where you're not challenge adequately, and the people around you don't seem to care as much as you do. Once you've gone to the school, you can definitely tone down your mad dash to have the best GPA in the school, and focus on other things (that would actually be better, in most cases). Until then, school first, hobbies second.

I am too in a similar position mine is 3.83(i have 11 subjects, for my top 5 i imagine it would be around 4.1). British boundaries are the same as american ones i have read, so i assume that. Bill gates had 4.3 and got 1590 of 1600 on the sats. I believe having such a high gpa is very good.

I think the problem is your mind and body is already tired from school and sports. programming is about active thinking. watching a video is easy, passive thinking.

I think you also need to have a clear understanding about what you are getting yourself into. If you want to fulfill your goals you cannot let distractions keep you off that goal path. It is really easy to get distracted and do something else. Best thing, that distraction needs to be removed. You do not need the Internet to programming. So there-no videos to watch. If you have the fundamentals down, I don't see how hard it is to program.

If you are doing programming for the money alone, well you will be disappointed easily when the money does not met your standards. If that ever happens. You need to be passionate and enthusiastic about what you are doing.

In terms of money issues, there is a library you can use. Knowledge is free in the library. Borrow books on the subject and learn! If you do not find what you are looking, any local book store and other book sites (there are so many!) can help you find the book with that particular title, author.

I personally think your trying to do too much at once. Its good to have good goals but dont put them so high tthat when you dont achieve them u feel like crap. Heres some advice: By taking on less you are getting more done. Keep a few activities and do them very well, rather than doing so many but doing them poorly.

PS I personally know a guy who transferred to standford from a community college. Apprently him and few others made some type of special battery that impressed them. But man just go to any good university, it doesnt have to be some high end private school like MIT or Standford or CalTech cause you get the same education at any accredited univeristy no matter what. Its just the name that drives people crazy

[quote name='Riztro' timestamp='1358617079' post='5023215']
I am a Sophomore High School student who wants to be successful early and is able to go to Stanford. From what I understand Stanford is looking only for the best, so in order to be "the best" I am trying to hold a 4.1+ GPA, trying to make some video games that I can sell so Stanford can see that I show initiative and so that they can see that I can program, and I am trying to play sports at the same time to show that I am a well rounded student (and I enjoy them).
[/quote]

If no one told you yet: University is BS. They give you a piece of paper. Which is good(or can be good), ...but doesnt matter that much where you get it. Go there, you`ll see it yourself.

[quote name='Riztro' timestamp='1358617079' post='5023215']
I am having problems with drive. I have this game idea that I like and have been working on but I think these high aspirations of mine are not allowing me to apply myself to programming because I am too busy (and stressed) with school and sports. I go to school at around 8 and I get home after sports at around 5:30. I have plenty of time till bed, but I just don't have the drive to work on my self produced projects (my game for example).
[/quote]

You are tired. You cant do everything you`d like to. Take away time and energy from something you do now and you`ll be able to work on your projects.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement