• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

High School Student with High Goals -- Need Advice

This topic is 1827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well excitement out of your game will come will come as soon you're able to consider it a game. Basically if you're making a game designing mechanics and systems won't be comparably entertaining as the game itself when you've set up your mind for a game. A quick "fix" for that is rewarding yourself with fragments of the game as soon as possible. Get to the playable part ASAP even with close to no gameplay at all. visually seeing the results and being able to play around with them helps A LOT! I suggest you to see the Brett Victor talk "Inventing on principle". PS : I can't currently provide you with links as I'm writing from my phone. Sorry about that.

Advertisement
Well excitement out of your game will come will come as soon you're able to consider it a game. Basically if you're making a game designing mechanics and systems won't be comparably entertaining as the game itself when you've set up your mind for a game. A quick "fix" for that is rewarding yourself with fragments of the game as soon as possible. Get to the playable part ASAP even with close to no gameplay at all. visually seeing the results and being able to play around with them helps A LOT! I suggest you to see the Brett Victor talk "Inventing on principle". PS : I can't currently provide you with links as I'm writing from my phone. Sorry about that.

Well I have the tile renderer working and I can load randomly generated map into the game. Does that count? Haha biggrin.png

Also I have gotten trello up and running (asana alternative). I really like it and hopefully it will allow me to manage my time better. I also have been looking into the pomodoro technique, have a timer on my phone for it! And the RPG concept looks cool for the HabitRPG site, but it doesn't quite look ready for full use yet.

Also I like trello and promodoro because I can use it on my phone while keeping my internet off so that I can use the 25 minutes (might raise to 30) to code without distractions.

Edited by Riztro

Priorities your goals, if the game you are making is not on the top of the agenda it is going to take a long time to make and little work is going to be done ( a sloppy job) .
I started out looking for people with common interests and knowledge, happily two of my high-school friends shared the same passion for game making and such material.
Personally, I think more people gives you more of a shot of getting the project done, when somebody gets "issues" the rest of us keep on working and persuading the issued one to work as well. Its quicker and everyone can learn an aspect of the development process better then the others, thus working more efficiently and making swift
progress.
And it used to be a lot harder back when i was working alone, when you lose motivation or cant solve a problem you just stop all progress and it takes ages for you to go on further. So essentially a good team makes everything possible, if you have that then you are on the right path.

PS: When you get into it, you just cant stop. smile.png

[twitter]BusyBeePixUnit[/twitter]

http://www.pixunit.com Edited by PixUnit

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement