Can someone link me to some tutorials?

Started by
15 comments, last by stevo5800 11 years, 2 months ago

I have a ton of things I want in my SDL game, But I can't find any tutorials on specifically what I want. If someone could link me to a tutorial of anything on the following list. That would be great.

Basic Game Menu,

Screen follows player,

Inventory,

Attack/Defense System,

Animations and

And NPC's.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Lazyfoo

http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

Best place for SDL by far. 12-12-2012 was the last update so you'll be good. That is where I started when I was learning SDL. I didn't get very far as at the time I was already into Allegro. GL with lazyfoo there is a lot of information there that wasn't 5 years ago when I was learning off lazyfoo.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

Lazyfoo

Best place for SDL by far. 12-12-2012 was the last update so you'll be good. That is where I started when I was learning SDL. I didn't get very far as at the time I was already into Allegro. GL with lazyfoo there is a lot of information there that wasn't 5 years ago when I was learning off lazyfoo.

Thanks. But I can imagine my file becoming very large with everything I want. Do you know of a way to make different files work together in 1 game?

EDIT: Sounds like you want to work with DLL files. Which is not SDL specific but C specific when it comes to programming in SDL.

I always seperated my functions, variables, and DATA files into separate files and put them into *.h headers.

Then in my main.c I'd just do this

#include "data.h"
#include "Variables.h"
#include "Functions.h"

And if you're making a game it is going to be very large to begin with. It is all how you code and how much you are going to put into it. In (WOW)Wrath of the Lich King, there were approximately 5.5 million lines of code in the game, not including database entries and what not. I don't understand what you mean by your game will get big.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

Ugh. Those tutorials won't work for me. I need a tutorial where you don't have to do ALL the lessons to get to that lesson.

I always seperated my functions, variables, and DATA files into separate files and put them into *.h headers.

Then in my main.c I'd just do this

#include "data.h"
#include "Variables.h"
#include "Functions.h"

And if you're making a game it is going to be very large to begin with. It is all how you code and how much you are going to put into it. In (WOW)Wrath of the Lich King, there were approximately 5.5 million lines of code in the game, not including database entries and what not. I don't understand what you mean by your game will get big.

Thanks. This helps alot.

Lazyfoo

Thanks. But I can imagine my file becoming very large with everything I want. Do you know of a way to make different files work together in 1 game?

First learn the language. If you don't know how to use the header files, it means that you don't know the language.

Like this? http://www.mediafire.com/?r0c53brcp8nh6ht Sorry that it is in Allegro, and many years old, but you'll see the source.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

Ugh. Those tutorials won't work for me. I need a tutorial where you don't have to do ALL the lessons to get to that lesson.

I am unfamiliar with a way of learning where you don't need any information about how it works or how it can be applied without investigation of what you're working with.

That would be like building a spaceship right now with only what you know at this exact moment.

Or writing a game in SDL right now with only what you know at this exact moment. Wouldn't be possible.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

I am unfamiliar with a way of learning where you don't need any information about how it works or how it can be applied with out investigation of what you're working with.

That would be like building a spaceship right now with only what you know at this exact moment.

I do want to know how it works, But I don't want to do 19 other lessons just to finally get my animations done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement