Sign in to follow this  

Using GLUT

This topic is 1822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, just forced myself to use Linux Mint and I want to start coding, but having trouble starting up GLUT. Not really worked with Linux much, but i've grasped the concept that I need to load it through the console.

Everyone is telling me to link the libraries to the usr/includes folder but even though freeGlut is installed I can't find them. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm trying to use OpenGL and C++.

I assume you're coming from windows?  One nice thing to note about the linux environment is that there's often a lot stricter use of the defined folder structure. If you've used apt-get or another package manager to install GLUT, then gcc will automatically know where the libs are, and the includes (should be #include <GL/glut.h>). You just need to add the -lglut to your compile to link it (g++ foo.cpp -lglut)

Also make sure that the glut "developer stuff" is installed (static libs/headers).

(I use Red Hat so I am not sure of the exact command)

try...

'apt-get install glut-dev'

...or...

'apt-get install freeglut-dev'

Basically, most Linux packagers split software into runtime, development and documentation packages so you just needed the dev packages. Edited by Karsten_

Also make sure that the glut "developer stuff" is installed (static libs/headers).

freeglut dev wasnt installed, that was the problem. Didn't realise I needed both!

Sign in to follow this