Sign in to follow this  
jamesdalby

Critique my 2D assets

Not sure if this is the right place, but would anyone mind putting a critical eye to some concept 2D art for my game? I'm not here for flattery. Let me know if you spot anything out of place. I'm trying to work out any kinks before I lock in a particular style for the rest of the game.

This is a fun style. :)  The only things I would suggest tweaking would be some of the colors are a bit flat (mainly the ones with no gradients), and some of the facial expressions are too subtle to be seen when the characters aren't zoomed-in on.

Overall, looks pretty good.

The one thing I would work on is that you're kind of abusing gradients for lighting/shading. You should try using more hard shadows, and staying more consistent with your lighting direction (some of your gradients and shadows don't make sense, like the body of the cart being lighter on the bottom).

I'll try to include some examples later (I'm at work right now) to show you what I mean.

Also, I can't quite tell what's supposed to be interactive- maybe use slightly thicker lines around interactive objects?

You lack a forge (firepit + bellows) for your smithy. The oven IMO wouldn't cut it. happy.png

Consider increasing the size of the building signpost icon (the Inn, for example) and exclude the text. It's hard to read, and the overall style calls for more symbolism in that regard.

The cat statue is called "maneki neko", if you want to read up on it.

I really like the style. Looking forward to playing the related game!

When you say tweaking, do you mean more saturation?

Um, no?  The word tweak means any small change, and flatness of colors generally refers to highlights and shadows, not saturation.  The saturations look fine to me... I guess the white-painted wood could stand to be a bit less grey/beige, but generally I like the color palette.

Edited by sunandshadow

Your art is really cool looking, like it smile.png 

If you want to improve it further try to play around with the shape of the buildings. Think about putting a heavy weight ontop of the buildings, how would the building expand/bend ? Most likely the walls would bend outward and the roof inward.

Then try to mirror the shape in all aspects of building. A good example is the female merchant. The round curves of the character are mirrored in the curves of the wagon. Try to improve it, e.g. making the smoke pipe round (the pipe end is currently a triangle).

Try to keep up consistency. E.g. the blacksmith building combines angular and curved shapes. The house is angular, whereas the ofen, wood logs, axe handle are round or curved.

Thanks Prinz Ashaman73. I like your idea of top heavy building design. I'll give it a shot and repost when I find the time. And yes, the shading looks better, though I've always been partial to top left light sources for some reason.

Edited by jamesdalby

I'm not sure what sort of art style I'm going for. It's just sort of my own style, mixed in with a lot of what you see in terms of super illustrative 2D games, like Dofus, Gaia Online (minus the Chibi Super D), anything by Klei, Konjak, Paul Robertson stuff...

Thanks Prinz. I like your idea of top heavy building design. I'll give it a shot and repost when I find the time. And yes, the shading looks better, though I've always been partial to top left light sources for some reason.

Sure! Yeah, I don't think the particular light source matters (I just sort of picked one). Ashaman73 was actually the one with the building design suggestion.