Which engine is the most appropriate for this kind of game?

Started by
6 comments, last by CaseyHardman 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am a design student with little to no programming skills (as of now, I am taking classes and learning as much as I can from you guys and the rest of the web) that is trying to figure out which would be the best engine for this kind of game:

Basically, a Zelda kind of game, top perspective, combat with short and long-ranged weapons, changing equipment would not be necessary, but as combat progresses you get experience to upgrade your one sword and your one bow, as well as your defense, attack, speed, etc.

The ability to choose which "world" to tackle first like in megaman, as well as the ability to trigger "events" in certain rooms that would start a puzzle minigame, which are already coded and made, I just need the ability to stop the game in a certain moment, go to the minigame, and after it being done go back to the normal game.

I have currently the following options:

RPGmaker VX ACE

Construct 2

GameMaker

and Engine 001

the last one got my attention because the "trailer" of the engine featured a game very similar to what I intend to make, then again, the other ones seem to have more resources, tutorials, etc.

Graphics are not an issue, programming is.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

I don't know a lot about any of the engines other than Game Maker, but from what I know about Game Maker, it can support the kind of game you're looking to make.

I don't know if you're trying to make a game without programming whatsoever or if you simply want to choose one that makes it easier to program your game?

I get the impression that you're learning how to program, so I'm going to talk about that.

Some of my very first programming experience came from Game Maker using the Game Maker Language, but I went about it all wrong. I didn't really look into general programming fundamentals, like functions and classes and stuff. I didn't learn much applicable stuff because I didn't take an object-oriented approach at my programming; I just kind of made some basic movement and stuff but never really learned that I was calling things called "functions" and other specific stuff about how variables work.

So I would suggest, if you're new to programming, don't just focus on making things work. Try to figure out if they're actually working properly and efficiently, and try to learn generic programming knowledge. Don't just jump into the "How to use Game Maker Language" documentation like I did; look for just generic programming stuff.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

GameMaker would be a good choice, and I think Construct can handle that also. RPG Maker VX would not be able to do that, if I understand your requirements.

I love game maker Dearly , it was th first game engine i really got my hands on and it can definitely accomplish exactly what you're asking for. not to mention that since you are not programmer Game maker is made to make developing a game as simple as possible but really all you would need to know is how to tweak a few variables in order to accomplish what you want. yeah i would definitely give game maker a try and unless you are artistically gifted find the a ice sprite sheet you don't mind using. Good luck and have fun!

I'd recommend giving 3drad (www.3drad.com) a try. You can put together nearly any kind of basic game without any programming skills. Then there's the option to use scripts if you need something a bit more technical. The learning curve isn't too bad either. Just work your way through some of the demos and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

I too have to agree with the suggestions for Game Maker. I've used it plenty, and in reality it is much more capable than many people think. But it isn't as "non-coder" useful as people would like. The problem is that in some form or other, you have to code what you want your game to do. In general the more code that is done for you, the less you can customize to make your game your own. I think Game Maker is a perfect balance in this sense. It doesn't support too many automatic things, like instant platformer mechanics, but you can use gml code to make your own, and it is low level enough to do whatever you want really. But it isn't so low that you have to worry about loading resources, etc...

I've never gotten into Construct. It seems good, but the main issue I see with it is that you can't code in the "traditional" way. The event sheet system is supposed to be good enough when combined with the behavior system, but it still doesn't "feel right" to me.

Gamemaker and RPGmaker both can do everything you want. Though they have different ways of going about it.

I found both easy to figure out.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

[quote name='kburkhart84' timestamp='1358883670' post='5024403']
The problem is that in some form or other, you have to code what you want your game to do. In general the more code that is done for you, the less you can customize to make your game your own.
[/quote]

I agree. At some point, the engine just has to sit down and let the developer do work!

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement