Different Ore types

Started by
25 comments, last by Leikaru 11 years, 2 months ago

Geological Ore deposits

Hope this helps

Advertisement

You might end up with an ore-refining simulator...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Depending on how modern your game is, you can't really ignore petroleum derivatives you're thinking about useful end products. Half the stuff we use is made out of processed old dead things.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Take a look at the middle section of the periodic table of elements. You'll find metals like Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Tungsten, Mercury, as well as radioactive ones like Uranium, Plutonium...

Also, don't neglect your alloys. You don't dig them out of the ground as ore, but they can exist as ingots. Bronze and steel were already mentioned, but there's a lot more out there.

[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

Some of your ores/products of ores will be used as 'tools' to extract/process the actual target material.

As mentioned, Limestone (certain type with certain quality and composition) is used to process iron (as is coke which is processed coal)

Mercury is used to process gold/silver for example

Lead ore is used to extract silver from another kind of raw silver ore

Fuels are a obvious 'tools' to use in many of these processes.

Water actually is another.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

I'm looking for some real ore types for my game. Currently I have: Gold, Iron, Silver, Coal, Diamond, Copper, & Tin. Any others that I'm missing that are fairly common and used in a good deal of products or did I get the most popular?

Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Bronze, Platinium?

All of that is fine except Bronze, which is a mixture of several metals, but mainly of Tin and Copper.

Here is a suggestion: Rutile Ore. Rutile Ore is where Titanium comes from, however, I think it also uses a few more metals. Not too sure wacko.png .

As well as that, there are actually different types of Copper Ore, not just one ore. There is a Copper Ore, but also part of the Copper family is Malachite, Turquoise (yes, there is an ore called Turquoise, look it up if you don't believe me smile.png ). There is also Azurite ore. It's the same with Iron too. You have Pyrite (which is the traditional Iron in reality), Marcasite, Hematite and Magnetite. Also, have you though about adding Zinc? That's a pretty cool ore, especially since it's used as a vitamin a lot these days. You could make medicines with it. Most natural resources are ores, if you think about it.

Hope I helped. wink.png

As A Beginning Developer, please don't expect much from me.

[background='Grey']I'm planning a game to make. Want details? Hmm, maybe later.[/background]

Every time I see this thread pop up, it makes me think back on EVE Online. Each planet had a certain set of materials on it you could mine for; you fly up to the planet, set up a little mining operation that scoops up materials that you could have launched into orbit, scoop up, then sell on the market. Other players would buy some of these materials to refine the first tier of goods...which other players would buy to manufacture a second tier, and so on (to like a fourth or fifth tier). This entire part of the game was just a living, breathing Trading game. Planetary Interaction it was called (the mining part, anyway).

Have a look at the full set of materials you can work with in EVE Online in Planetary Interaction, here. Keep in mind that is not the full set of materials in the game by any means...just the set you can get out of Planetary Industry and Interaction (mining a planet, basically). There are a lot of materials and they all take real world time (in the order of days or even weeks) to mine and refine. The point is that it simulates a career as an industry pioneer, hence the focus that this part of the game has on materials, costs, and time...all of which benefit from traditional business efficacy analyses.

I'll level with you: I played that part of the game and it bored the crap out of me; it's interesting in theory but it's not fun. I feel like Farming Simulator is more fun. Other than a game where the entire point is manufacturing and trading, I don't know what use there is in dozens upon dozens of unique materials with as many or more unique use cases.

You should think about whether you're making the ores as a means to regulate acquisition of materials or as a part of the world. In Anno or Civ or whatever, you are basically making an "Iron Farm" and just jumping through the appropriate hoops to get the material you need. Calling it "Iron Ore" is fine, and you can just stick it around the map to make hotspots for control and development.

In the Dwarf Fortress example, if you want Iron, you have to harvest either Magnetite, Hematite or Limonite, all of which can be used as rocks for building and crafting, and which can be processed at a smelter to produce iron bars. Some ores, like Galena, are more complex, since smelting that produces a bar of lead and half a bar of silver, but you can use the ore with gold nuggets to make electrum, complicating the tech tree even further.

I'd never suggest that anyone make a mineral tech tree as complex as DF's, unless you're a sadist or are making a game about geology, but the "list of ores" question can be answered with the wiki links above, so you need to focus a bit more on the uses of ore in your game before you can decide what you need.

You should think about whether you're making the ores as a means to regulate acquisition of materials or as a part of the world. In Anno or Civ or whatever, you are basically making an "Iron Farm" and just jumping through the appropriate hoops to get the material you need. Calling it "Iron Ore" is fine, and you can just stick it around the map to make hotspots for control and development.

In the Dwarf Fortress example, if you want Iron, you have to harvest either Magnetite, Hematite or Limonite, all of which can be used as rocks for building and crafting, and which can be processed at a smelter to produce iron bars. Some ores, like Galena, are more complex, since smelting that produces a bar of lead and half a bar of silver, but you can use the ore with gold nuggets to make electrum, complicating the tech tree even further.

I'd never suggest that anyone make a mineral tech tree as complex as DF's, unless you're a sadist or are making a game about geology, but the "list of ores" question can be answered with the wiki links above, so you need to focus a bit more on the uses of ore in your game before you can decide what you need.

Dwarf Fortress's main idea isn't about Geology at all, so he could go for advanced ores. In fact, if he's looking to make a realistic game, then yeah, I'd advise that he does go for the complex trees that DF has.

As A Beginning Developer, please don't expect much from me.

[background='Grey']I'm planning a game to make. Want details? Hmm, maybe later.[/background]

Dwarf Fortress's main idea isn't about Geology at all

Dwarf Fortress may not set out to be a geology simulator, but that doesn't change the fact that it is (perhaps incidentally) a geology simulator.

There is a world of difference between the Settlers' brand of "iron + coal => sword", and Dwarf Fortress' complex mineral trees.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement