Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
REF_Cracker

DX11 DX11 - Screen Tearing

This topic is 2148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Has anyone ever had issues with screen tearing under DX11?

- I'm pretty sure I'm buffering properly as per the example programs.
- I present with Present(1,0);
- It is properly limiting my frame rate to 60FPS.


Here is the code I'm using to initialize the swap chain.....
 

    memset(&l_desc,0,sizeof(DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_DESC));

    l_desc.BufferCount = 1;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.Width = in_width;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.Height = in_height;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Numerator = 60;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Denominator = 1;
    l_desc.BufferUsage = DXGI_USAGE_RENDER_TARGET_OUTPUT;
    l_desc.OutputWindow = *(HWND *)in_handle;
    l_desc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;
    l_desc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0;
    l_desc.Windowed = TRUE;

    l_result = l_d3d->QueryInterface(__uuidof(IDXGIDevice),(void **)&l_device);

    if(SUCCEEDED(l_result))
    {
        l_result = l_device->GetParent(__uuidof(IDXGIAdapter),(void **)&l_adapter);

        if(SUCCEEDED(l_result))
        {
            l_result = l_adapter->GetParent(__uuidof(IDXGIFactory),(void **)&l_factory);

            if(SUCCEEDED(l_result))
            {
                l_result = l_factory->CreateSwapChain(l_d3d,&l_desc,&m_chain);
                l_factory->Release();

                if(FAILED(l_result))
                {
                    MessageBox(NULL,"Couldn't create a swap chain on the device!","Error!",MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);
                    return false;
                }
            }

            l_adapter->Release();
        }

        l_device->Release();
    }


    l_result = m_chain->GetBuffer(0,__uuidof(ID3D11Texture2D),(LPVOID *)&l_texture2D);

 


Any ideas as to why I'm still getting horrible tearing? Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I am not, do not aspire to, nor ever will be, a DirectX programmer.

 

But, as a C programmer, I can tell you that your error checking can fail silently. I don't know exactly what that code is supposed to do, but it's possible a number of the lines never run due to an error, with no error being reported.

 

As a graphics programmer, I'll tell you that screen tearing is often caused by a lack of synchronization between the update rate and the refresh rate. It sounded like you already knew that.

Edited by Geometrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback! Sadly the sloppy program flow in the pasted source has nothing to do with my issue. Does anyone have a similar experience with screen tearing in DX11 and if so how did you solve it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite certain that your problem is actually in these two lines:

 

    l_desc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Numerator = 60;
    l_desc.BufferDesc.RefreshRate.Denominator = 1;

 

Your monitor may not actually be refreshing at 60Hz, but instead at slightly under or slightly over the 60.  Rather than just putting in hard-coded values you should enumerate your modes properly using IDXGIFactory::EnumAdapters, IDXGIAdapter::EnumOutputs and IDXGIOutput::GetDisplayModeList, then use the refresh rates provided by that enumeration instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erik Rufelt - After a lot of investigation ID3D11DeviceContext::Flush has indeed solved my problem. Funny enough this was one of my first thoughts when I started looking into the issue but then I got obsessed with the refresh rate numerator \ denominator and the fact that my monitors are stuck in 59hz (which seems to be a common issue on windows7). Anyway thank you very much as the second I added the flush it all tearing ceased!!!

mhagain - You are indeed correct that enumerating the adapters does provide me with more suitable values for the refresh rate. A quick investigation indicates that for my current desktop the proper settings would be 59950 / 1000. Sadly these settings seem to have no effect on the issue even with the solution (flush) added. None the less it is probably a good idea to use this proper setup method so thank you for pointing that out.

SOLVED!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!