Designer's block with four days until deadline

Started by
2 comments, last by makuto 11 years, 2 months ago

So, I've been procrastinating and ignoring a deadline for a competition I want to enter. The deadline is January 28. I have four days to make a game.

This has been a stressful time for me because I'm still learning how I personally develop games, as well as what to look for in a new game
idea. My main constraints are these:

• Shouldn't need any collision resolution, especially with a tile map, due to my difficulty with collision resolution (note that collision detection works already, that's easy)
  • Cannot be terribly violent (in the rules it states an "E-rated game")
  • Must run on Windows via CD or DVD
  • I need to be able to create it in a very short amount of time

Note that right now I'm not really facing very many implementation constraints, besides the collision resolution issues. I have a solid
codebase that has been successfully used on my first completed game, as well as tools such as the Blender Game Engine and Stencyl. I would prefer using my own code base, but I foresee I will have porting issues when I need to go from Linux to Windows, especially because I'm using a SFML 2.0 release candidate (which is difficult for me to get going on Windows).

I've been debating on whether or not I should just "game jam" it (generate a random topic and sticking with it), come up with a new design mechanically (I was thinking maybe using reward systems as a base), turn in a game I've completed that wasn't intended for this challenge, or if I should quit entirely. All the ideas I've come up with so far are either too time consuming to implement, contradict with my constraints (especially collision resolution), or fit too small of a niche. I have make a game that appeals to a judge, not just to myself.

So from a design perspective, what would you recommend me do?

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

Advertisement

You are a nanobot inside a petrie dish experiment - your task is to devour bad cells without eating good cell. Eat enough bad or good cells and you can replicate a second nanobot also controllable. The idea is to completely remove all the bad cells without having destroyed too many good cells.

You may also find this recent thread useful with regard sources of inspiration.

You are a nanobot inside a petrie dish experiment - your task is to devour bad cells without eating good cell. Eat enough bad or good cells and you can replicate a second nanobot also controllable. The idea is to completely remove all the bad cells without having destroyed too many good cells.

Ah, now I want to use that! Maybe I will...

You may also find this recent thread useful with regard sources of inspiration.

Interesting, thanks for that.

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement