Sign in to follow this  
NYbeast

where to start

Anri    971

Another good way to learn programming is to not only teach yourself from books, but to also enrol in a programming course as a boost.  Formal education(of any level) can help to ensure you know the basics of your language, or to even improve in areas you are weak in.  Its not so much the qualification but the skills handed down to you by your teacher.

Crikey, I remember doing an evening class in C++ many moons ago. I didn't come away with much more C++ knowledge than when I started(I was self-taught at the time), but the experience gave me more confidence with programming.

Nicholas Kong    1535

In terms of making a video game (knowing how to add graphical stuff bells and whistles) you need to first learn and understand the fundamentals first. I cannot stress this enough! It will make your programming journey less rocky! Pick programming books that are well-written! People above already listed those sources.

More importantly, never give up and program a little bit everyday. You will face challenges and many bugs along the way. But once you fix the bug, it's going to be the most fun you will ever have sitting in front of a computer. Question yourself why you are faced with this problem and ask on forums for insight. Of course, you will need to solve the problem yourself

Make simple games that involves no graphical features first. This is far more important because game are built off of logic. 

Personally, I don't think I would have understood C++ until I was competent with Visual Basic and later on Java before C++.

Edited by warnexus

Anri    971

Warnexus speaks wisely on challenges and bugs.  Your first instinct will be to throw your hands up in the air and give up, but a true programmer will investigate the nature of the bug and at least try to understand it. Even when all is lost, one can always ask for guidance.

Whilst some programmers are very gifted and rarely require help, remember that you are part of a large community that is kind and keen to point you in the right direction.

Solid_Spy    708

Game programming can take years to learn, and is especially difficult if you're not at a game college where you can learn everything you'll ever need. Just a heads up, learn how to program in c++ first, then move on to using different API's like Win32 or SDL, Then, if you think your up for it, try to tackle the beast: Directx11.