Sign in to follow this  
pnt1614

DX11 Effect in DX11?

pnt1614    407

I follow instructions from http://asawicki.info/news_1371_effects_in_directx_11.html to create an effect by loading from a file, but there is a problem with pixel shader. It looks like it was not be loaded

errorsmv.jpg

As you can see in the image, the pipeline does not have the pixel shader. And the source code for creating the effect and rendering is:

DWORD shaderFlags = 0;
#if defined( DEBUG ) || defined( _DEBUG )
    shaderFlags |= D3D10_SHADER_DEBUG;
	shaderFlags |= D3D10_SHADER_SKIP_OPTIMIZATION;
#endif

ID3D10Blob *effectBlob = 0, *errorsBlob = 0;
	HRESULT hr = D3DX11CompileFromFile(
	  L"Test.fx", 0, 0, 0, "fx_5_0", shaderFlags, 0, 0, &effectBlob, &errorsBlob, 0);

//assert(SUCCEEDED(hr) && effectBlob);
	if (errorsBlob) 
	{
		MessageBoxA(0, (char*)errorsBlob->GetBufferPointer(), 0, 0);
		errorsBlob->Release();
	}

SIZE_T temp = effectBlob->GetBufferSize();

// Create D3DX11 effect from compiled binary memory block
	ID3DX11Effect *g_Effect;
	hr = D3DX11CreateEffectFromMemory(
		effectBlob->GetBufferPointer(), effectBlob->GetBufferSize(), 0, pd3dDevice, &g_pEffect);

//assert(SUCCEEDED(hr));
	effectBlob->Release();

g_pTech = g_pEffect->GetTechniqueByName("Test");
	GetEffectParameters();

UINT stride = sizeof(Vertex);
        UINT offset = 0;
	pd3dImmediateContext->IASetVertexBuffers(0, 1, &mBoxVB, &stride, &offset);
	pd3dImmediateContext->IASetIndexBuffer(mBoxIB, DXGI_FORMAT_R32_UINT, 0);

// Render objects here...
	D3DX11_TECHNIQUE_DESC techDesc;
	g_pTech->GetDesc(&techDesc);

ID3DX11EffectPass *g_EffectPass; // No need to be Release()-d.
	g_EffectPass = g_pTech->GetPassByIndex(0);
	g_EffectPass->Apply(0, pd3dImmediateContext);
	pd3dImmediateContext->DrawIndexed(36, 0, 0);

Anybody helps me, please?

Vexal    509

This isn't an answer to your question, but, most of the functions you are calling are deprecated now (everything in D3DX).  I'm assuming you're using VS2012, so you should use the tutorials that come with the new SDK.

You can load a pixel shader with:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476513(v=vs.85).aspx (CreatePixelShader)

And subsequently call http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476472(v=vs.85).aspx (PSSetShader)

You will call CreatePixelShader on the binary data from the pre-compiled pixel shader from VS2012 -- it should be a .cso file.  To read in the data in the file, you can just do this:

std::ifstream myFile("../x64/Shaders/UIVertexShader.cso", std::ios::in | std::ios::binary | std::ios::ate); //replace with the name of your shader

size_t fileSize = myFile.tellg();
                myFile.seekg(0, std::ios::beg);
                char* shaderData = new char[fileSize];
                myFile.read(shaderData, fileSize);
                myFile.close();

pnt1614    407

Thank Vexal for the reply, I know most of the functions I am calling are deprecated, but I need to create an effect because I want to invoke the SetMatrixArray() function for updating the matrix array in shader as redering. Do you have any idea about updating the matrix array in shader without using an effect in Directx 11?. By the way, I have already solved a problem for creating an effect.

Solid_Spy, you need to add the path to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++\Effects11\Inc" to Include directories in VC++ Directories. For Effects11.lib (not D3DX11Effects.lib), I just compiled and copied into "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++\Effects11\lib", then configured my projects for the library path.

Edited by steven166

Solid_Spy    708

Thank Vexal for the reply, I know most of the functions I am calling are deprecated, but I need to create an effect because I want to invoke the SetMatrixArray() function for updating the matrix array in shader as redering. Do you have any idea about updating the matrix array in shader without using an effect in Directx 11?. By the way, I have already solved a problem for creating an effect.

Solid_Spy, you need to add the path to "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++\Effects11\Inc" to Include directories in VC++ Directories. For Effects11.lib (not D3DX11Effects.lib), I just compiled and copied into "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++\Effects11\lib", then configured my projects for the library path.

Oh, ok. Thanks :3 I was wondering what that file was for.

Edited by Solid_Spy

pnt1614    407

Vexal, it is not what I meant. Just imagine that in shader, I have a constant buffer which is an array of matrix gBoneTransform[96]. And in C++ source code, I want to update that matrix array. For example, people use SetMatrixArray(array, count) to update the matrix array in an effect. But I am not sure that is there any way to do same thing without using an effect?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lonewolff
      Hi Guys,
      I am presently trying to render a video frame to a quad in DirectX 11 using Microsoft Media Foundations. But I am having a problem with 'TransferVideoFrame'.
      m_spMediaEngine->TransferVideoFrame(texture, rect, rcTarget, &m_bkgColor); The call keeps returning 'invalid parameter'.
      Some googling revealed this - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15711054/how-do-i-grab-frames-from-a-video-stream-on-windows-8-modern-apps
      Which explains that there is (was??) a bug with the NVidia drivers back in 2013. Other searches say this bug was fixed.
      The very odd thing is, if I run the application through Visual Studio Graphical debugger the video renders perfectly to the quad with no errors, so this would suggest that my code is sound.
      I can't do as the link suggests above and try to create the device as 9_x, as this is an extension that I am creating for GameMaker 2 and I don't have access to renderer creation (only the device handle - which is fine most of the time).
      I am presently downloading VS 2017 to see if it behaves better with more recent SDK's (as I am currently using VS 2015).
      Thanks in advance

• By AlexWIN32
      Hello!

A have an issue with my point light shadows realisation.

First of all, the pixel shader path:
      //.... float3 toLight = plPosW.xyz - input.posW; float3 fromLight = -toLight; //... float depthL = abs(fromLight.x); if(depthL < abs(fromLight.y)) depthL = abs(fromLight.y); if(depthL < abs(fromLight.z)) depthL = abs(fromLight.z); float4 pH = mul(float4(0.0f, 0.0f, depthL, 1.0f), lightProj); pH /= pH.w; isVisible = lightDepthTex.SampleCmpLevelZero(lightDepthSampler, normalize(fromLight), pH.z).x;

lightProj matrix creation
      Matrix4x4 projMat = Matrix4x4::PerspectiveFovLH(0.5f * Pi, 0.01f, 1000.0f, 1.0f);  
      thats how i create Depth cube texture

viewport->TopLeftX = 0.0f; viewport->TopLeftY = 0.0f; viewport->Width = static_cast<float>(1024); viewport->Height = static_cast<float>(1024); viewport->MinDepth = 0.0f; viewport->MaxDepth = 1.0f; D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC textureDesc; textureDesc.Width = 1024; textureDesc.Height = 1024; textureDesc.MipLevels = 1; textureDesc.ArraySize = 6; textureDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R24G8_TYPELESS; textureDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1; textureDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0; textureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT; textureDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL | D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE; textureDesc.CPUAccessFlags = 0; textureDesc.MiscFlags = D3D11_RESOURCE_MISC_TEXTURECUBE; ID3D11Texture2D* texturePtr; HR(DeviceKeeper::GetDevice()->CreateTexture2D(&textureDesc, NULL, &texturePtr)); for(int i = 0; i < 6; ++i){ D3D11_DEPTH_STENCIL_VIEW_DESC dsvDesc; dsvDesc.Flags = 0; dsvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT; dsvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_DSV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2DARRAY; dsvDesc.Texture2DArray = D3D11_TEX2D_ARRAY_DSV{0, i, 1}; ID3D11DepthStencilView *outDsv; HR(DeviceKeeper::GetDevice()->CreateDepthStencilView(texturePtr, &dsvDesc, &outDsv)); edgeDsv = outDsv; } D3D11_SHADER_RESOURCE_VIEW_DESC srvDesc; srvDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R24_UNORM_X8_TYPELESS; srvDesc.ViewDimension = D3D11_SRV_DIMENSION_TEXTURECUBE; srvDesc.TextureCube = D3D11_TEXCUBE_SRV{0, 1}; ID3D11ShaderResourceView *outSRV; HR(DeviceKeeper::GetDevice()->CreateShaderResourceView(texturePtr, &srvDesc, &outSRV));  
      then i create six target oriented cameras and finally draw scene to cube depth according to each camera
      Cameras creation code:  
      std::vector<Vector3> camDirs = { { 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f}, {-1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f}, { 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f}, { 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f}, { 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f}, { 0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f}, }; std::vector<Vector3> camUps = { {0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f}, // +X {0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f}, // -X {0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f}, // +Y {0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f}, // -Y {0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f}, // +Z {0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f} // -Z }; for(size_t b = 0; b < camDirs.size(); b++){ edgesCameras.SetPos(pl.GetPos()); edgesCameras.SetTarget(pl.GetPos() + camDirs); edgesCameras.SetUp(camUps); edgesCameras.SetProjMatrix(projMat); }  
      I will be very gratefull for any help!
      P.s sorry for my poor English)

• By isu diss
      HRESULT FBXLoader::Open(HWND hWnd, char* Filename) { HRESULT hr = S_OK; if (FBXM) { FBXIOS = FbxIOSettings::Create(FBXM, IOSROOT); FBXM->SetIOSettings(FBXIOS); FBXI = FbxImporter::Create(FBXM, ""); if (!(FBXI->Initialize(Filename, -1, FBXIOS))) MessageBox(hWnd, (wchar_t*)FBXI->GetStatus().GetErrorString(), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); FBXS = FbxScene::Create(FBXM, "MCS"); if (!FBXS) MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); if (!(FBXI->Import(FBXS))) MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to import fbx file content into the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); if (FBXI) FBXI->Destroy(); FbxNode* MainNode = FBXS->GetRootNode(); int NumKids = MainNode->GetChildCount(); FbxNode* ChildNode = NULL; for (int i=0; i<NumKids; i++) { ChildNode = MainNode->GetChild(i); FbxNodeAttribute* NodeAttribute = ChildNode->GetNodeAttribute(); if (NodeAttribute->GetAttributeType() == FbxNodeAttribute::eMesh) { FbxMesh* Mesh = ChildNode->GetMesh(); NumVertices = Mesh->GetControlPointsCount();//number of vertices MyV = new FBXVTX[NumVertices]; for (DWORD j = 0; j < NumVertices; j++) { FbxVector4 Vertex = Mesh->GetControlPointAt(j);//Gets the control point at the specified index. MyV[j].Position = XMFLOAT3((float)Vertex.mData[0], (float)Vertex.mData[1], (float)Vertex.mData[2]); } NumIndices = Mesh->GetPolygonVertexCount();//number of indices; for cube 20 MyI = new DWORD[NumIndices]; MyI = (DWORD*)Mesh->GetPolygonVertices();//index array NumFaces = Mesh->GetPolygonCount(); MyF = new FBXFACEX[NumFaces]; for (int l=0;l<NumFaces;l++) { MyF[l].Vertices[0] = MyI[4*l]; MyF[l].Vertices[1] = MyI[4*l+1]; MyF[l].Vertices[2] = MyI[4*l+2]; MyF[l].Vertices[3] = MyI[4*l+3]; } UV = new XMFLOAT2[NumIndices]; for (int i = 0; i < Mesh->GetPolygonCount(); i++)//polygon(=mostly rectangle) count { FbxLayerElementArrayTemplate<FbxVector2>* uvVertices = NULL; Mesh->GetTextureUV(&uvVertices); for (int j = 0; j < Mesh->GetPolygonSize(i); j++)//retrieves number of vertices in a polygon { FbxVector2 uv = uvVertices->GetAt(Mesh->GetTextureUVIndex(i, j)); UV[4*i+j] = XMFLOAT2((float)uv.mData[0], (float)uv.mData[1]); } } } } } else MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the FBX Manager"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); return hr; } I've been trying to load fbx files(cube.fbx) into my programme. but I get this. Can someone pls help me?

• By lonewolff
      Hi Guys,
      I am having a bit of a problem with a dynamic texture.
      It is creating without error and I am attempting to initialize the first pixel to white to make sure I am mapping correctly. But when I draw the texture to the quad it displays the whole quad white (instead of just one pixel).
      This is how I am creating, mapping, and setting the first pixel to white. But as mentioned, when I draw the quad, the entire quad is white.

// Create dynamic texture D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC textureDesc = { 0 }; textureDesc.Width = 2048; textureDesc.Height = 2048; textureDesc.MipLevels = 1; textureDesc.ArraySize = 1; textureDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM; textureDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1; textureDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DYNAMIC; textureDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE; textureDesc.CPUAccessFlags = D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_WRITE; textureDesc.MiscFlags = 0; HRESULT result = d3dDevice->CreateTexture2D(&textureDesc, NULL, &textureDynamic); if (FAILED(result)) return -1; result = d3dDevice->CreateShaderResourceView(textureDynamic, 0, &textureRV); if (FAILED(result)) return -2; D3D11_MAPPED_SUBRESOURCE resource; if (FAILED(d3dContext->Map(textureDynamic, 0, D3D11_MAP_WRITE_DISCARD, 0, &resource))) return -1; memset(resource.pData, 255, 4); d3dContext->Unmap(textureDynamic, 0);  
      Hopefully I have just made an oversight somewhere.
      Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
      (If I change the 255 value to 128 the quad then turns grey, so the mapping is definitely doing something. Just can't work out why it is colouring the whole quad and not the first pixel)
    • By KaiserJohan
      Just a really quick question - is there any overhead to using DrawIndexedInstanced even for geometry you just render once vs using DrawIndexed? Or is the details obfuscated by the graphics driver?
      I would assume no but you never know  
  • Popular Now